1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing Nightly makes me worried

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Feathery Dust, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

Glad to hear they are dropping the ore dropping entirely. That was an extremely bad idea to even add in the first place. Several things from nightly worry me too. Like, I'm heavily into pet taming and leveling them up, but they apparently nerfed the heck out of the only creatures you can capture. Now, I have heard that they intend on letting people 'evolve' the pets, but it worries me about the near future regarding pet taming at least. I'm also particularly glad they won't be wiping our stuff. In all honesty I wouldn't look forward to the start of starbound. They've made it ridiculously overly grindy for my taste. And with your whole busted ship...if your starting planet is random in the same way it is now... it could be nearly impossible to even get off said planet. I just hope they address pets before the next stable build.

2. Aquillion

Aquillion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, I think that the game has too much grinding in it as it is -- I feel Starbound should be focused primarily on exploration and discovery, not on grinding for ores, which means that for the most part digging shouldn't be an important part of the game's core advancement. Currently the amount of metal and pixels needed for basic progression is just too high, all else aside.

The problem is that at the moment, not enough other content has been implemented, which leaves people with odd impressions because digging and mining aren't capable of supporting everything. But the answer shouldn't be "make grinding ore out of the ground even longer and more tedious", it should be to add alternative advancement routes and other things to discover and explore.

For instance, the game should have you hunting for a few pieces of rare ore that require trading, exploration, tracking down strange planets, etc -- it shouldn't require constantly grinding up 50 pieces of ore and thousands of pixels like an MMoRPG. Things like dropping your ore or losing pixels on death are bad because they're fundamentally premised around making the game about grinding (and punishing players, when they die, by making the grinding worse, which is just silly.)

Grinding isn't fun; personally, I feel that in terms of balance, decreasing the grindy nature of Starbound is the most pressing issue the game faces (although of course it ultimately can only be solved by adding more content.)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    XRiZUX, DrakeWymulf, Woden and 7 others like this.
  3. tobychew

tobychew Subatomic Cosmonaut

There are people out there like myself who live for the grind I like doing anything and everything if I have to dig to get ore that is fine and it keeps me occupied.If I only did what you suggested I would be done with all that in like 10 to 15 minutes as opposed to 2 to 3 hours if I add digging

Untrustedlife and nordikwolf like this.
  4. EaglePryde

EaglePryde Scruffy Nerf-Herder

100% agree. I suppose the devs are adding stuff and making new things but the puzzle will be put together at a later Point and many things are still some remains from the last stable Version. Judging anything at the moment is just very much wrong

5. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Well the way the game is right now (not nightly) is also good for that, I also have a friend who enjoys Ore grinding, and he just chooses to spend more time underground, and I still have the option to scout the surface and still bring back resources. Are you saying that limiting the game to only 1 option is the better solution?[DOUBLEPOST=1408895620][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Just because it might be changed doesn't make complaining about features wrong, it's the opposite. For example let's say a lot players find incredibly game-breaking bug which the devs aren't aware about, and doesn't complain about it just because "it's wrong to complain if a game is WIP", so the devs never fix it. That's bad for both the players AND the developers. I admit I could have tried to sound less like I'm ranting about it, but it's still feedback.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    Woden, enderpony and khalismur like this.
  6. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

3D printer may be the direct reason... But still holds to what I see as the reasoning. Since the printer uses it as fuel/material to make the items in question from it.
    It is understandable since the people now a days are growing up in a society where certain things are done for them; Manufacturing being one of the best examples. Growing up with a defined currency is a lot different now then it was way back when it was more than just currency. All of it makes quite some sense, at least to myself. After all not everybody does research or even flat out go out of there way to find this or that. :)

They are removing ore drops?! hmm... I'll have to see that for myself when it happens; which will be a wait until the unstable is pushed. (quite a while of patience I have.)

linkthegamer likes this.
  7. tobychew

tobychew Subatomic Cosmonaut

No the complete opposite in a sandbox like this any option is good it all depends on what you like to do me I like doing everything exploring the surface finding treasure chests mining ores on the surface gathering the plants because in nightly thats the only way to get plant fiber then I make all the pickaxes and axes and hoes and with the stuff I gather I make myself a garden and a house. Once i'm done with that I dig until I gather enough copper iron silver gold core fragments I fix up my ship and move on to the next planet depending on what kind of armor and weapons I have.

8. EaglePryde

EaglePryde Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You know that it is a big difference between "complaining" and giving "constructive feedback"

But how can you do even one of both if the complete nightly stuff isn't really in a state that is "set in stone".

We still don't even know how progression will be made or what will be changed. Most mechanics could be just leftovers from the last stable build and could be put together differently.

From what i see, they keep adding new stuff without really putting anything together in terms of progression and story.

You can't even Progress very far without cheating. This should clearly tell you that the previous path of progression has been very much dropped. If it hadn't you would still be able to progress like in the latest stable build. Everything regarding "where the game is going" is just pure speculation on your side without hard facts.

The only hard fact we know of is that CF "is still" and "was always" working on Starbound and until a new stable build rises there is nothing you could possibly complain about. You can comment on the different parts or make suggestions but judging the nightly as a whole is just complete false. sorry to burst your bubble.

bluecollarart likes this.
  9. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

if it makes you feel better they fixed the ores droped on death

not olny does it no longer poof away anymore
    but they wont despawn when you "log off"

you still drop it in the 1st place but eh

10. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

It serves no purpose. Players can just save and reload the game to get back on their ship from anywhere, and they keep their pixels.

Feathery Dust likes this.
  11. Feathery Dust

You didn't even read my original post did you? "Commenting on the different parts" Is exactly what I was doing. Sorry to burst your bubble. I was only complaining about 2 things: The lack of surface ores and ore drops, I even said I like many of the other new features. I admit I didn't give proper "constructive feedback" but saying that I'm judging nightly as a whole is what's false here.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  12. nordikwolf

nordikwolf Void-Bound Voyager

And then people will start to complain again about other things or the same modifications until the game becomes almost the same as it was before the update. Get used to changes, people. CF can't pleases Greeks and Trojans. Some changes implies the exclusion of others which can't be blended with, people don't understand it. That's the same reason which made the company changes the update system from small to big and delayed updates. Complaints. And now many persons, maybe the same whiners, want CF to bring back faster updates. Almost every game is about challenge, even if your personal challenge is to build a beautiful house in game. And ores dropping is good in this regard.

Edit: and please CF, don't move the ore back to the surface. It will just make the underground as useless as it was before. And the argument "ah! But you can get legendary weapon underground!" isn't strong enough to make one goes there since on the surface you can get an almost as strong or even stronger weapon. And then it will be "explore the surface, move to another planet" again.

13. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

How is it good they made one mode about not dropping anything, one mode about dropping everything, and one mode about dropping everything and your character. Then make the mode about not dropping anything start to drop stuff?

Terraria does softcore/normal great and you never drop any items. The main difference being that in terraria money until you have legendary everything is extremely useful with many money sinks. As soon as you have a house and the merchant shows up you are presented with the option to spend it all on rope and bombs, repeatedly.

In starbound other than crafting the main sink is buying extremely cheap foods. The 3d printer isn't important if you aren't a builder. The pixel compressor is an extremely poor money sink. Adding ore dropping to death =We haven't made money very useful n this game, lets make something else happen instead of fix that.

DrakeWymulf, Woden, gameboytj and 3 others like this.
  14. nordikwolf

nordikwolf Void-Bound Voyager

Thats way better than just exclude the ores dropping system for everybody and destroy the fun for the ones who like challenge, that are probably the majority of the people.

That I support! :D More options the better.

15. Feathery Dust

This would be the best solution! Maybe even keep ore drops as a 4th difficulty.

16. I've said this elsewhere but since this is a new thread, I think it's something I should repeat. I personally think that the Dev team will determine how they want us to play their game. If you disagree with their vision, then maybe this game isn't for you. Everyone here took a risk and bought the game based on faith in an idea. If that idea doesn't turn out as you expected, it's not anyone's fault. I don't think they should have to pander to everyone's play-style and make some Arcen-like options panel that takes 20 minutes to decipher and makes everyone's experience completely different. By the time they're done figuring out how all 400k players want to play, there will be hundreds of variants on difficulty and gameplay mechanics. How can you sell an experience if you can't predict what experience they'll get. You speak of this being a great 4th option, but how many options do they need before everyone will be satisfied?

Anyway, sorry of that sounds ranty, it's just how I feel.

bluecollarart and Zouleena like this.
  17. Feathery Dust

No need to apologize my post was kinda ranty as well. Although like I've said before I was only complaining about two things, the lack of surface ores and ore drops, and pretty good solutions were suggested in this thread that fit the two most common playstyles (people who want a challenge and people who don't). Also even if they end up with hundreds of playstyles (which I find highly unlikely) most of them could end up fitting into one of those two playstyles. So I'm not saying the game should be designed the way every single player wants it to be, but I'm just saying that if they already managed to make their game in a way that fits most playstyles, then why change that? (There was already a gamemode with item drops so why disable the one with none? Also players who want a challenge can just not pick up surface ores instead of saying "They shouldn't be there")

18. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

One single additional option to add the 'ore drop on death' feature is hardly going to burden anyone. Keeping ore drops on death in normal difficulty however, is going to burden the majority of players that went with normal difficulty because they wanted to keep their stuff on death. From what I've read they're ditching the entire ore drops on death thing to begin with because of the people's complaints regarding it. If what I read was true, then, this kind of proves that people commenting about how horrifically broken a system/change is, has the potential to make the developers change their minds. The whole point of beta testing this game, was, at least initially, to have the community help shape the development of this game. Just because the developers have a vision, doesn't always mean it's set in stone and automatically going to be awesome.

19. Well with that news, I bid you all adieu.

EDIT: If Rainbow Dash is correct, and that is misinformation, Bravo.

Serenity likes this.
  20. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

as much as i didnt like the idea before i dont think this is true
    or atlest i havnt found a topic were a dev sead it

Tamorr likes this.