1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing Nightly makes me worried

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Feathery Dust, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

After playing the newest Nightly build I'm worried about the direction the game is heading in, while a lot of minor features are much better the way the game is going for me so far just makes me a lot less excited to see the next update come out..
    What I love about the game is that unlike Minecraft or Terraria you can experience almost everything the game has to offer without having to spend hours underground looking for enough ore, but in the nightly builds all ore apart from coal can only be found around 100 blocks underground or below, and that's not a good thing for me, I know some people like this whole mining thing but limiting the players playstyle to only 1 of the two options would just ruin the game for a lot of people. Not to mention that now you drop ores (bars as well, wish I would've known that earlier...) so I just don't bother mining anymore because I die so easily, which means I don't even manage to get more than 1 copper bar in 3 hours of playing without playing in a way that I don't find fun or engaging in any way. And that's just sad.

Anyone else worried about this?

krylo, Yzzey, Shippo and 7 others like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I'd like to be the first to point out that since the game is still in development, a lot of it is subject to change. I think they'll be doing away with dropping ores on death as it is, since the majority of people really dislike it. Ore distribution could also change, too. You should probably wait and see what else the developers do before you worry.

3. Jaker

Jaker Aquatic Astronaut

That's just way too much. Losing as many pixels as you do is already overkill since they're both currency AND vital crafting material (seriously?) but losing ore on death is insanely ridiculous.

Gotcha!, Stylµs, Aquillion and 18 others like this.
  4. Feathery Dust

I'm fully aware of it possibly being changed, but then again if there's no feedback saying it's bad they might not change it, so here it is (although I did go a bit overboard with this I agree)

They also forgot to mention you lose bars as well, if only I knew I wouldn't have lost all the stuff I worked for on the other side of the planet :/

TeddyBearYoshi likes this.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

There were at least two threads a few weeks ago that completely curb-stomped the idea, so there has been feedback.

Serenity likes this.
  6. Feathery Dust

Well considering the Nightly versions are being updated nightly, I don't see having more feedback on the subject after 2 weeks of nightly updates do any harm.
    EDIT: Maybe a bit more of an overreaction than proper feedback but still

7. tobychew

tobychew Subatomic Cosmonaut

Don't know if you knew this or not but you can pickup ore and for future reference you can put ore in your ship storage where you won't drop it when you die

8. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

I think the idea of losing ore is a good one. People need a reason to care about dying and I don't think losing pixels is enough. It adds a level of tension and excitement to being out of your safe zone that you're not going to get if you're not really being punished for dying beyond losing some pixels and having to walk back to where you died. Yawn. I mean... is the ore gone forever when you drop it? Is something stopping you from placing it in chests along your path as checkpoints to later be picked up and taken to your ship?

papachabre, ErkGloom, Raeden and 4 others like this.
  9. Feathery Dust

Fully aware of that, doesn't mean I can't die while getting to the surface or to my base, even if it's really close. Also while I like the idea a little bit losing ALL of it is just frustrating, not to mention you drop your Ingots as well, and the game never tells you about that. Also that isn't my main worry what I'm worried about is that you won't be able to make progress without going some underground mining, which is worse than MMO grinding in my opinion.
    Not all players enjoy challenge, and for a game that has "Casual" as it's genre (or one of them at least) on it's steam page I'd expect it not to be this punishing, it may not be that punishing but for a player who plays this game for a simple and fun experience it's to be expected if they'd not be happy if the game becomes more difficult. And I don't need a reason to care about dying! I want to explore and build without having to worry about losing the resources I'm carrying and constantly placing chests everywhere while watching my back.. it's just not fun to play that way.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    rhomboid and enderpony like this.
  10. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Tell me, how does losing a finite resource required for both progression and equipment upgrades upon death constitute a challenge?

Gotcha!, Klokinator, rhomboid and 7 others like this.
  11. Montychuck

Montychuck Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's not designed to be challenging, it's designed to be a risk.

Personally, the game currently feels like godmode is turned on, aside from pixels lost on death. Going underground is like being in a padded room; the only real danger is gravity. Monsters can be effortlessly walled in or avoided altogether. Magma and acid are obvious and the latter is rarely lethal. Cave ins or other realistic mining hazards are nonexistent. To top it off, spelunking provides the most mineral resources by far, even compared to surface ores which as far as I know aren't implemented in nightly. Every time I dig into the earth, I am at the planet's core inside a half hour with a boatload of ores and pixels. Dying and losing ores isn't meant to be the fun thing itself, rather the notion that you may have to turn back or retrieve the ores you lost is what makes it fun.

I also don't fully understand how someone could be against this change, but fine with things like having to regulate HP, energy, food, warmth, and pixels. Time is also a valuable resource, and one that you cannot mod in or spawn with a command. Even so, people seem to be fine with losing it if they die. Dying of hunger adds no more challenge than losing ore, yet it is accepted simply because players are used to it. All I ask is that, rather than condemn this new mechanic because it is new, give it a chance and approach it with an open mind once it is implemented into a balanced environment.

ErkGloom, Lecic, M_Sipher and 3 others like this.
  12. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Are we going by dictionary definition or every single persons different view point on game challenge, it's all relative and opinionated. So to him it constitutes a challenge you answered your own question. Not to mention minerals randomly generate all the time it's more an in-finite resource. But I can tell by what you said that it does not constitute a challenge. So two different view points on challenge.

Ps. They are not keeping mineral dropping people didn't like it

So no reason to fight people over personal definitions.

13. Casmyr

Casmyr Big Damn Hero

Perhaps what the complaint is, that from the standpoint of 'my playstyle is exploration not excavation' the valuable resource of time is in fact wasted having to 'grind' on ores then to focus on what was enjoyed by the person. Some people are okay with the aspect of having to grind levels in an RPG, others think it is bothersome and/or a waste. To add the two-cents, just loosing ores and not the entirety of your inventory seems.. conflicting? Oh well, take as you will.

krylo likes this.
  14. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

But they are not keeping the ore falling.

Akado and Casmyr like this.
  15. Montychuck

Montychuck Subatomic Cosmonaut

My point is that people dislike losing time from ore dropping but not from starving or freezing. They can all be labeled as a grind or things that prevent the player from having fun, but only ore dropping is ever brought up. Why not get rid of them all?

Lecic likes this.
  16. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Thanks for the feedback.

I worry if CF can find a way not to make players feel like they are grinding for ore but also not make the underground feel like it is pointless (or that the surface is pointless and only the underground matter). Quite a difficult balancing act.

17. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I should point out that even if ores are moved more underground, the surface chests, plants (if applicable), monsters, towns, and dungeons would remain on the surface and thus there's plenty of reason to skim the surface of a planet. With the introduction of underground biome-specific legendary weapons, there's also an incentive to explore the underground more to find legendary weapons that pound anything a person could make or find flat. The only problem I, and many other people have, is that the ore drop on death is a fake difficulty mechanic that blurs the line between normal and hard mode.

18. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

That's one of the reasons I don't play nightlies. No really.

Lemuria likes this.
  19. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Ore distribution was always planned to change. You can still find ores in surface chests. An if you die often - it probably means you need to change your game plan to take a more safer approach.

20. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I think serenity mentioned they are going to remove it. Seems like it was a failed experiment, it was annoying though I get it was supposed to be to stop people from just suiciding underground to respawn on the ship.

I do wonder on ore distribution. No sure if they are still tweaking it or not I do hope they can find a medium between "all the ore I ever need is on the surface" and "all the ore I need is underground".

Pixels are an odd concept. It sadly comes off as "pay to craft" since their primary function is currency though in the lore it is 3D printer fuel that people use as money (Kinda gets confusing since you don't use currency for anything other they buying stuff IRL). My guess for why they are need in crafting was the devs also intended then to serve as a binding agent or as to be feed into the 3D printer to make something to bind items... They never really quite explain it.

Hatsya Souji likes this.