player.config, The problem with

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Xuhybrid, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Maelkhor

Maelkhor Intergalactic Tourist

Another suggestion :

Let's imagine a new mod class :

Code:
    MyMod_mininglantern.mod
    {
       "item" : "mininglantern",
       "merge": [
          "learnBlueprintsOnPickup":[
               "MyModRecipe1",
               "MyModRecipe2",
               "MyModRecipeX"
    ]
    ]
    }

OtherMod_mininglantern.mod
    {
    "item" : "mininglantern",
          "merge": [
                    "OtherModRecipt"
                ]
           ]
    }

I think most dev modder see the point here without further explanation, in the end the goal is that mininglantern.learnBlueprintsOnPickup contains the sum of the two mod value arrays :

Code:
             "MyModRecipe1",
             "MyModRecipe2",
             "MyModRecipeX"
             "OtherModRecipt"
              ]

It's also an easy model pattern to implement.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  2. Lazuul

Lazuul Yeah, You!

Started modding Starbound yesterday, but I have found that all a players needs to do to install a mod is add it to the mod folder and update the bootstrap file. As far as adding new recipes, I have a player.config in each separate mod I've made with new recipes, and they aren't overwriting or clashing. The mod creator just needs to include their modified player.config inside the mod folder and everything seems to work. Examples I'm working with:

"tier2" : [
    { "item" : "shaftpickaxe" },
    ((stuff that is normally here))
    ],

"level37" : [
    { "item" : "vibraniumbar" },
    ((stuff that is normally here))

],

These two additions are in separate mods in separate player.config files and work. As long as you don't want something in starter tech, old characters can use this too. I would assume this should work with anything. Does that solve the player.config problem?

3. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

This is kind of an old thread - a lot of the issues raised here were looked at and changed.

You should not be touching the bootstrap file anymore - there's no reason. Place your mods in the Starbound/mods folder and they will be loaded automatically. Reference: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/making-mod-installation-easier.52349/

Additionally, mods that alter the player.config file (or any other base file) should be using the __merge functionality so that they don't conflict with each other. Reference: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/making-mod-installation-easier.52349/

4. Lazuul

Lazuul Yeah, You!