Playable Race: Androids

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Space Core, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Space Core

Space Core Pangalactic Porcupine

I have a dream, A dream where i can defeat squishys in their games playing as one of my own, A dream with
    ANDROIDS!

Androids would be an excellent addition to Starbound, and I feel they would mesh with the existing setting seamlessly.

[​IMG] A preview of the animated sprite im workin on, used Rho's sprite sheet as a base, gonna deviate allitle more in the final product

Possible Advantages
    • Bonus Energy
    • Slower drowning
    • Better Accuracy
    Possible Disadvantages
    • Lose Energy in water
    • Lower health
    • No bonus from some consumables
    Created for labor in high tech fields, such as transporting biological contaminants, OPI industries Stellar Series androids, are the most intelligent models on the market, capable of self management they have become more then just a tool for your science team but an asset. Capable of sentient thought they can aid a research team as more then just data handlers, and are able to observe experiments too dangerous for human bodies without danger of radiation or other hostile environmental hazards. OPI Stellar call a sales associate now.

Sprites to come, please leave feedback in the comments!

sasquatchjc, IceKing, Aidoboy and 7 others like this.
  2. Reaver

Reaver Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Might be interesting. Wonder if they will actually put in an option for races in the character creation.

Space Core likes this.
  3. Space Core

i believe they have already confirmed it on IRC.

4. Reaver

Then let us fly in happiness.

Space Core likes this.
  5. Eqlles

Eqlles Over 9000!!!

What do you mean by androids? Seemingly organic robots? Something more like the Geth? And how do they reproduce? Do they build each other, and if so, how? With what resources?
    Granted this would be provided in backstory, I'd just like to see what you plan for them. If by android you mean the seemingly organic robots, then drowning wouldn't happen, but you couldn't swim (if swimming is an option). Additionally, wouldn't you have MORE hp, or at least armor? An expanded battery makes sense for this. Perhaps you use repair kits to heal rather than potions? Lots to work with here.

Space Core likes this.
  6. Reaver

Hmm.. I wonder if the Androids Core was talking about is synthetic as the Geths. If not it could be that hes just talking about a stereotypical human based robot.

Space Core likes this.
  7. Eqlles

Eqlles Over 9000!!!

Not per se human, but organic nonetheless. If he means the geth, then yes forever. WANT.

Space Core likes this.
  8. Space Core

I was hoping for human shaped bipedal androids, though not with synthetic skin, think the movie irobot, likely they are manufactured by humans for various tasks. These are labor androids not combat mech's they are not armor plated and havn't evolved any kind of natural protections. and my favorite thing about them is their is so much you can do with them. plus if they looked like humans that would be boring.

9. Cappuccino

Cappuccino Phantasmal Quasar

Coffee approves this idea!~ :redpanda:

Space Core likes this.
  10. Eqlles

Eqlles Over 9000!!!

Sounds like a great idea then!

Space Core likes this.
  11. ZeroHunter

ZeroHunter Subatomic Cosmonaut

Perhaps, since they are sentient, they could use the space stations manufacturing room ,using the ore's the beings have found to create other types of bodies for the android itself, As it will know it would require a better body or upgrades to sustain functionality over harsh enviroments, plus, Plastic-bodied Mechanoloids have little to no hope in high heat areas. It maybe recommendable to be able to create substitute bodies, think of it as what humans think as armor.

12. Space Core

that starts getting to complex, no race should have its own mechanics.

Coffee likes this.
  13. ZeroHunter

ZeroHunter Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was simply suggesting in big words that "I really do hope these have interchangeable parts(armor)"

14. Space Core

I know what you were saying, but that's a whole game-play element for one race, and being that this is a very equipment based game, it's a potentially game breaking one.

15. Disreputable Dog

Disreputable Dog Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea of them having "armor" they exchange on their body, but I think it should be treated exactly like armor on the rest of the races, just with the story-lineing behind it saying that the armor is "part" of them, rather then "on" them, without any bonuses or drawbacks for it. Also, i like the idea of them having certain bonuses and drawbacks for being electronic, such as them losing energy in water. Another thing I thought I'd add would be that they should negate "poison" type damage, since they don't have any biological components to be poisoned. Hopefully All races will have some sort of uniqueness to them, with balance.

AliceTheGorgon likes this.
  16. Space Core

But that puts a huge workload creating unique armor for their race, it would double the spriting necessary for armor, and add unnecessary complications to the armor generation system.

17. mrmcmo

mrmcmo Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, we can be monkies, why not androids?

18. RuskinReynolds

RuskinReynolds Big Damn Hero

not really, you'd just do what Dis.. Dog said, and say that the armor is part of their skin. That would mean that they would be born with armour effectively, but nothing more than that really :) I would love this as a race, alongside Chimp and Human :)

19. Fantasja

Fantasja Industrial Terraformer

Love the lose energy in water thingy. Cuz now my dream that one of my friends become an android so i can flood him with water xD. :up:

20. Space Core

It's still a heavy workload, you have to draw an entire armor set just for this one race, doubling the equipment art needed, and then you'd need to get it to generate along side normal armor, and all that is without even looking at balancing, it's a nightmare, I am fully against unique armor types for any race.