1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Plans for post release content

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

It is illegal to raise the dead here.

PoroCYon likes this.
  2. Master_Discord

Master_Discord Big Damn Hero

+5000 for good intentions, but we'll see how things pan out. I suppose with such a small dev team and low overhead (compared to something like EA) netting a million before even releasing a beta is pretty nice. The game looks amazing and I know a lot of us are putting our hope in Chucklefish that they'll keep true to their commitment. The trouble is: when new buyers aren't enough to cover the expenses of paying devs, the devs will evaporate. If it hits like Minecraft, I imagine that will be a long way down the road.

And a lot of dev teams don't ever FINISH the product, or leave it in a sadly disappointing state. (EA, I'm looking at you.) Tron 2.0 is a perfect example, a bugfest at release, patches made it worse, and finally the devs just blew off the fans and moved on to a new project. Ultima 9 was similar (EA hasn't changed in the last decade, still screwing the buyer) as was Elemental - the devs couldn't even fix the bugs in that one, so owners got the sequel free. :p

I've even got a few game concepts I'd love to see given the love that Starbound has received by its developers. (I'm a designer, not a codeninja. I can do some scripting and I can sorta understand C++ but pointers are magic. I can make them do my bidding sometimes, but they seem like a problem waiting to happen most of the time.) I haven't had the skill with wrangling artists and coders to help make the things reality, it looks like Chucklefish has a great crew to have five+ games in progress at once and all of them look amazing.

Bamseper, Axe Garian and PoroCYon like this.
  3. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

Well, the only game they are is Starbound, they only publish the other games. But very true nonetheless.

PoroCYon and Axe Garian like this.