OpenGL

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Misszov, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Misszov

Misszov Void-Bound Voyager

Thx for respond :3 My graphic card is ATI Radeon HD 4600 and this card should support OpenGL 3.1 so IDK... (I updated my err graphic card *software* and tryed to do something with OpenGL but this doesnt work... Little Help?)

2. Hukasu

Hukasu Cosmic Narwhal

can you run anything non-OpenGL with good graphics? (please say what game you tried)
    what opengl game you tried running?

3. Admiral Obvious

Admiral Obvious Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Well, if you have GL 3 you willl be fine, once you fix it.

As stated above, do that.

Or, you can try to run something WITH open GL and describe to us what happens. Do you get an error message? Does the monitor explode? What happens?

Starbound runs in C++, so they didn't quite make a brand new engine, they just tuned it up.

4. DevonDe

DevonDe Big Damn Hero

Oh, so that's how that goes.

5. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

It says BAD VIDEO CARD DRIVER!... " (file).dll " could not be found
    Cannot support OpenGL 2.0... Please update driver (It doesn't say this but it implies "Or get a damn new computer").

6. Admiral Obvious

Well, you could download the .dll. I just don't know where from... look it up.

Dlls' are things that the computer uses which pretty much gives it a blueprint on "so, this is how it works".

7. SlashEdgeXX

SlashEdgeXX Tentacle Wrangler

I don't know what version of Windows you're running so... incoming spam.

Win 7, 8, Vista - 32bit: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista32.aspx
    Win 7, 8, Vista - 64bit: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx
    Win XP: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-xp.aspx

Pick the appropriate one and download it. Your driver will be up to date and should include all the necessary things to make things like OpenGL work properly. If that doesn't fix it and DLLs are still missing, you may need to put in your windows CD and have it do a restore.

8. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

It is in C++, but they made their own engine for Starbound.

9. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

Nooo, my video card isn't good enough, I've looked it up before.
    Thanks for trying though, but trust me, I wasted a whole week before finding out:DD
    the video card driver simply isn't compatible with average level software and above.

10. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Jesus, how old is your computer? I mean, OpenGL 1.2 came out in 1998!

11. SlashEdgeXX

SlashEdgeXX Tentacle Wrangler

If your card is what you say it is, it's plenty good enough as far as OpenGL support goes. You're missing DLLs, which is the problem. If a driver update hasn't fixed it for you, you'll need to restore windows in case any vital DLLs were removed by accident. If that doesn't fix it, the game/application in question may require it's own DLL for hooking and if it isn't present that will also cause issues.

12. c2h5oc2h5

c2h5oc2h5 Phantasmal Quasar

Um, C++ is a programming language, not a game engine, so your reasoning is wrong :). You could as well say: "this book is in English, so he hasn't quite wrote that book, he just tuned it up" ^^. They are writing their own engine in C++, and they made quite everything from scratch (they are using SDL, but it is more media access library, not a game engine).

Bietol likes this.
  13. Misszov

Misszov Void-Bound Voyager

(I was trying DLL error fixer and updating my video card drivers) Hukasu - Yes, but my proccesor shitty so I cant do many things like props in Gmod or many Entities in Arma 2, Admiral Obvius - Okay, for a example : In KAG (King Arthur's Gold) its just saying my version is below 1.4, Minecraft is saying this (I will copy this text here):

Bad video card drivers!
    -----------------------

Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.
    This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 7fe0271 --------
    Generated 25.03.13 16:38

-- System Details --
    Details:
    Minecraft Version: 1.4.7
    Operating System: Windows XP (x86) version 5.1
    Java Version: 1.7.0_17, Oracle Corporation
    Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
    Memory: 459820656 bytes (438 M:cool: / 518979584 bytes (494 M:cool: up to 1037959168 bytes (989 M:cool:
    JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xms512m -Xmx1024m
    AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 M:cool: allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 M:cool: used
    Suspicious classes: No suspicious classes found.
    IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0
    LWJGL: 2.4.2
    OpenGL: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null
    Is Modded: Probably not. Jar signature remains and client brand is untouched.
    Type: Client (map_client.txt)
    Texture Pack: Default
    Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
    Vec3 Pool Size: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null[failed to get system properties (java.lang.NullPointerException)]

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:185)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:311)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:856)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:765)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:232)
    at asq.a(SourceFile:56)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:515)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    --- END ERROR REPORT b9d67748 ----------

BTW: these " :cool: " are just where its B )

14. Hukasu

Hukasu Cosmic Narwhal

try fully uninstalling the driver an reinstalling it
    or try asking to the card manufacturer for assistance

15. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

Use the system diagnosis and see what kind of video card you have, then look up the card and see what it is compatible with.

16. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

C++ is a programming language. An engine is a program that controls how a game works and is displayed. A program can be written in any programming language.

So, yes, we did make a brand new engine. I really don't know what you're talking about when you say "tuned it up." That makes absolutely no sense from a programming perspective. :/

17. XTripleJaxX

XTripleJaxX Starship Captain

You got a permit for that?

I assume you got your gfx card from pluto since it dosent support OpenGL...
    You could always try a CPU emulator though xD
    Or your hardware acceleration might be on low

TTCBuilder likes this.
  18. Admiral Obvious

Don't mind me, I'm just an idiot when it comes down to the proper lingo, and stuff for coding.

19. Remnant Drive

Remnant Drive Pangalactic Porcupine

EDIT: I'm most likely talking out of my ass here. This laptop ain't exactly 'old', but it did have trouble with Terraria's color-lighting system after that update rolled out.

The card being used in this laptop is called, as the device list puts it, "AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250"

I'm in no position to be upgrading my hardware in the near future. How will this thing handle the truth the game, you think? I just want a good modern (heh) game that can actually run without me having to fiddle around in the settings, .ini/.config files or what have you.

20. Qader

Qader Void-Bound Voyager

Can someone please help me with this. Is open GL something you download? I am the biggest computer Nub ever. My Drive is an ATI Radeon HD 4200 and it says it supports Open GL 3.2
    Does this mean I already have it on my computer or am I going to have to do some coding or some *Stuff* to install it.