1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ocean biome traversing

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Treldent02, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Treldent02

Treldent02 Orbital Explorer

With the implementation of Ocean Biomes into the nightlies, i had a thought whilst exploring them.
    With the amount of Islands, will boats be necessary? it wouldn't take long to reach one island, then other, etc.
    Unless of course the amount of islands get's toned down (Which is a possiblity, since it's the nightly builds) The boat tech on the screenshot from a while back may not be that useful. But that's my opinion. Good day!

(Also, maybe there may be another way of traveling oceans...?)

2. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

Another way?

swimming comes to mind.

3. Broconut

Broconut Cosmic Narwhal

Something like a hand held water propeller for transportation would be cool. Maybe even a submarine if vehicles become a thing (I really hope they do).
    I'm sure the terrain generation for ocean/arctic biomes are still in the works, so we'll have to see how they turn out when they're done.

Right now, the islands appear to be floating chunks of land, which is really strange to me. I hope they'll at least have background tiles that go to the ocean floor. That way, the islands will look like they are connected to the ground, but the player can still travel under the island, if that makes sense. They're also quite small and barren at the moment.

Yeah, a boat wouldn't really be that useful unless the islands were far apart from each other. constantly running into land would get annoying after a while.

4. Treldent02

Well yes, that's obvious, but maybe flippers and divers equipment to improve your swim speed

5. With the current trend, I assume it'd be some kind of Tech. Bubble Dash maybe?

6. Treldent02

I think that would be to near to Bubble Boost, Maybe, as @Broconut said, somekind of submarine tech, since Racial mechs are for land, why not racial subs?

7. Oh, i was actually referencing bubble boost, since the butterfly thing is basically the same thing, why not make the bubble one an underwater thing.

8. Treldent02

Butterfly boost isn't as powerful as the bubble boost, but the speed of the bubble boost through water make's it very useful, but also the terrain generation can't keep up with it

9. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

You know what I want? Hylotls being able to ride giant fish through the oceans. Think about it: You get to craft a fish food item with meat and plant fibre, and you can feed it to a peaceful fish, and while distracted, you can jump onto it and break it in, and then ride it through the oceans.

10. LazerusKI

LazerusKI Phantasmal Quasar

If i tell you, that there is a new tech in todays changes...and if i then tell you, that it is called "Boat",
    with the description "Press 'F' to be in a boat. Only useful in liquids."
    What would you say then?

11. Treldent02

I would say how did you find that tech? only pulse jump and energy dash are in the tech screen, even with admin.[DOUBLEPOST=1417100248][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Well, that may not be necessary, the creature capture station probably still works on them, and if you capture one, it would be nice if you could ride them

Yzzey likes this.
  12. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

It doesn't work on fish and birds yet, but that may have changed in nightly.

13. Treldent02

I'm going to check now if they do work, Tally-ho!

EDIT:Nope!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  14. LazerusKI

Well...unpacking the Assets and looking through the files?

15. Treldent02

Oh, right, it isn't in the game right now, though, i found no way to unlock other techs

16. LazerusKI

17. Treldent02

18. LazerusKI

dont know that^^
    also if you want, i made a small copy from the chatlog for a friend, where i cut out most of the things except what tiy said

[16:02] Tiy starbound has boats at last yay
    [16:03] SeaFishelle are they just tech or are they standalone vehicles?
    [16:03] Tiy right now, tech
    [16:03] Neurisko standalone vehicles would be huge
    [16:03] Tiy but
    [16:03] Tiy stand alone vehicles are coming
    [16:03] Tiy and then all vehicle techs will become vehicles
    [16:04] Tiy the boat rocks in the wind
    [16:04] Tiy more wind, more rock
    [16:04] Tiy youre going to be able to fish from it too
    [16:04] Tiy it looks cool in storms
    [16:04] SeaFishelle Tiy, that's so awesome! can you share any images yet?
    [16:04] Tiy sure
    [16:04] Tiy sec
    [16:04] riki hi
    [16:04] Tiy http://ft.trillian.im/125bc213b885d06bbc1282b180f732308a3667e2/6uoQQzftjat8DXdwZ1pfxsQEYKORb.jpg
    [16:04] Tiy image
    [16:05] Tiy i actually have that just sat on a screen in the office
    [16:05] Tiy day night cycling
    [16:05] Tiy its pretty
    [16:05] Sukai
    [16:05] Arpege Are you guys planning to try something different with fishing mechanics? 99% of games use 'cast line, wait for cork to go under, press x'
    [16:05] SeaFishelle aaand wind waker flashbacks
    [16:05] Tiy i think in this game
    [16:05] Tiy youll actually see the bait go down
    [16:05] Tiy and youll ACTUALLY have to hit a fish with it
    [16:05] Tiy an existing fish
    [16:05] Tiy but not sure yet
    [16:06] Arpege so it's like Breath of Fire fishing?
    [16:06] SeaFishelle so are there gonna be fishing rods that use grapplinghook source code?
    [16:06] Tiy its probably going to be a mixture of capture pods
    [16:06] Tiy and maybe some grappling hook stuff
    [16:06] Arpege http://www.rpgamer.com/games/bof/bof2/screens/bof21039.jpg <-- Breath of Fire, your hook had to drift down onto a fish
    [16:06] Tiy yeah basically like that
    [16:07] Tiy some info about the next update
    [16:07] Arpege sweet, I love BoF fishing
    [16:07] Tiy lets see
    [16:07] Tiy it has a mission system, with 2 complete missions shipping with the patch, more to come in next patch
    [16:07] Tiy it has quests
    [16:07] Tiy a quest progression
    [16:07] Tiy ship upgrades
    [16:07] Tiy a completely new tech system
    [16:07] Tiy vast amounts of new items
    [16:08] Tiy a new interface system that allows lua mods
    [16:08] Tiy healthire made a 3d maze game, in starbound
    [16:08] Tiy on an arcade machine
    [16:08] Tiy a bounty hunting system
    [16:09] Tiy matter manipulator upgrades (pickaxes and drills are now consumables that allow temporary mining boosts)
    [16:09] Tiy can pick up liquids
    [16:09] Tiy massive rework of the liquid code, faster, settles better, allows for oceans
    [16:09] Tiy new biomes
    [16:09] Arpege so are there going to be ocean planets with the addition of boats?
    [16:09] Tiy yes
    [16:10] Tiy the AI system
    [16:10] Aut0Exec when will SB be stable ?
    [16:10] Tiy next update
    [16:11] Tiy http://ft.trillian.im/125bc213b885d06bbc1282b180f732308a3667e2/6uoRj5WenLNBfINFdsWcL1vM6Zfbj.jpg
    [16:12] Tiy tech has such a better system now
    [16:12] Tiy so
    [16:12] Tiy you dont find tech chips underground anymore
    [16:12] Tiy instead you find blank tech cards
    [16:12] Tiy you also get rewarded them for quests
    [16:12] Tiy theyre essentially skill points
    [16:12] Tiy and you spend skill points to unlock new tech
    [16:13] Tiy techs are categorised into head, chest and legs
    [16:13] SeaFishelle Oh so it's a tech tree
    [16:13] Tiy head tech is activated with the F key
    [16:13] Tiy chest tech with double tap directions
    [16:13] Tiy and legs with jump button
    [16:13] Tiy which means you can use all 3 at once
    [16:14] SeaFishelle So i can dash AND double jump?!
    [16:16] LazerusKI Tiy: how are the rest of them unlocked? i have seen that you get new techs per ship-tier, but the upgrade item has not unlocked them for me
    [16:16] SeaFishelle hey Tiy what can you say about the bounty hunting system? can you give more detail?
    [16:16] Kawa Thanks Neuro
    [16:17] Arpege Tiy: I assume there's different types of bait that attract different types of fish, or does one rod fit all?
    [16:19] Tiy Arpege first pass, if it makes it into the update, will just be one rod
    [16:19] Tiy but
    [16:19] Tiy fishing system is something we massively want to flesh out later
    [16:19] Tiy <LazerusKI> Tiy: how are the rest of them unlocked? i have seen that you get new techs per ship-tier, but the upgrade item has not unlocked them for me
    [16:19] Tiy the AI unlocks them as he upgrades your ship
    [16:19] Tiy so the ship upgrade item wont do it
    [16:20] LazerusKI ah ok, so the shipTx item cant do that
    [16:20] SeaFishelle oh :c so in order to get the top-tier techs, I need a massive ship?
    [16:23] Tiy if you have any other questions I have a few more minutes before i have to go and cook turkey
    [16:24] LazerusKI the only thing that i would wnat to know: how do i get the ship-AI to upgrade the ship? do i need a quest first?
    [16:25] Tiy LazerusKI you need to complete some missions and quests
    [16:25] Tiy and check out the penguin bay at the back of the ship after you do
    [16:26] SeaFishelle Tiy, are you still hoping to have some kind of space combat down the road, or are you putting that on the shelf for now?
    [16:30] Tiy <@SeaFishelle> Tiy, are you still hoping to have some kind of space combat down the road, or are you putting that on the shelf for now?
    [16:30] Tiy post 1.0
    [16:30] SeaFishelle okay
    [16:30] Tiy id really like it
    [16:34] Sukai Yeah, so me and Aut0Exec were wondering if the next stable update will cause a wipe. Is it too soon to answer this question?
    [16:36] Tiy next stable update
    [16:36] Tiy we MIGHT be able to stop it causing a wipe
    [16:36] Tiy but honestly
    [16:37] Tiy if you dont wipe yourself, youre missing SO much

19. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Fighting sea creatures should be a risky endeavour, for most races are not aquatic creatures. So ships would serve as a safe way to traverse oceans. Hylotl, with their racial armour, are more nimble underwater, thus able to better deal with subaquatic threats...

20. Treldent02

Also it would be nice if there was passive large sea creatures, sailin' in your boat and seeing dolphin-like fish jump out of the ocean

BloodyFingers likes this.