1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

NPC Bastion

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TrueEdge, Mar 26, 2015.

1. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

With the recent changes to Starbound, monsters have been spawning non stop and every second spent above ground or in pregenerated caves poses an immense threat of attack from native fauna.

However, what I have found is that pregenerated surface-subterranean dungeons don't spawn monsters in the area directly above it. The dungeon I have appropriated happens to be a USCM bunker and I have had a beautiful grand total of 1 monster spawn over the course of 1 hour. And it was a flying monster, so it doesn't really count as it must have spawned in unloaded sections of my screen.

I have walled off the safe areas to prevent danger zone monsters from wandering in.

I have set down shop, converting the bunker into a semi-civilized floran habitat. Now I just have to set down spawners and I'll be set in my new haven.

Artay001 and Fina like this.
  2. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I hadn't considered the no-monster zone aspect of dungeons for constructing a base.. Good idea.

TrueEdge likes this.
  3. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We do 'sort of' have some tools ingame for the suppression of monster spawns. Automatic turrets! :D They'll suppress your problems gooooood.

Though something like a placeable device that prevented random spawns within a few screens might be useful, too. Probably not cheap so that you can't just turn off monsters everywhere, but not impossible to obtain either. Within reach of someone setting up a town/outpost on a planet.

4. Esahc_

Esahc_ Cosmic Narwhal

I didn't even know there was non-monster zones. I just assumed I was unlucky when mobs were spawning in my bases. I'm glad you made this thread. It's definitely something I'll keep in mind in the future.

TrueEdge likes this.
  5. Akre

Akre Pangalactic Porcupine

Nice idea. It might be an item obtained from boss fights so that their number would be very limited, just enough to construct a safe base or two in a dangerous environment.

6. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

I think at some point we need to add items that supress monster spawns in a given area

7. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

What if monster generation was linked to a spawn queen? The spawn queen will generate 1 monster every 10 seconds, max 10 monsters alive/active. Monsters wander within 1000 blocks of the queen.

There would be a place-able spawn queen version that stops spawning monsters after you mine it (and you can take it home for decoration) and a combat based one where you kill it and it will stop spawning monsters.

8. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the idea is that random monsters everywhere is the default condition, and it's not possible to accidentally make them go away. Having to place a spawn suppressor would be making a deliberate decision to say 'Hey, I don't want potentially dangerous free pixels to spawn here.'