1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Novakids will craft guns instead of swords.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Jul 22, 2014.

1. No Leaf Clover

No Leaf Clover Space Hobo

I thought the basic Idea was to give no difference between races so that your choice wouldn't be based on skill choice but.. something more RP I guess?
    I really recall having read that somewhere. And that's a very good idea in my opinion.
    Now, if all races can craft guns via blueprints.. that's slightly less penalizing.

Oh and hi, I'm new here :)

2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

im not rilly into this whole gun thing
    i liked it when every race was exactly the same
    even if guns is an advantage or a disavantage its gonna have a toll on what race you pick when you start the game

"i want the novakids they start out with guns"
    "the novakids can olny use guns and they suck so im going someone else"

stuff like that

3. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Welcome to Starbound.

Ryuujin of the Avali mod said that he kept the weapons and armor pretty much the same as the other races due to parity, IE balance. This isn't a game like Morrowind where picking a race has a huge impact through the entire game (Dunmer are almost immune to fire and have great skills, spread out to encourage raising multiple stats in a x5 manner, Nords are immune to frost, rendering some enemies and spells laughable and 50% resistant to shock damage, making it easier to shore up magical defenses, etc). From what I see in Stable, each race has a unique look and feel, but the armor and weapons are statistically the same to ensure that no one race is better than the others (but starting recipes kinda craps all over that, looking at you Apex).

4. Tomato Master

Tomato Master Noob Simulator 2014

Good idea. I just hope that some race gets to make weak shotguns. Mmm shotguns.

5. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Humans would get shotguns I guess.

I don't see the other races as being thematically sound with a shotgun from the start, Novakids aside, and they get pistols. The humans would probably get a hunting shotgun to be specific.

Starsly likes this.
  6. naphid

naphid Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think the way Terraria balanced guns and melee was very good. I know this isn't Terraria, but I liked their way.

7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I'm wondering did they provide a damage floor for guns of a certain tier? So that way ranged characters have at least some damage against a heavily armored opponent (No 0 damage pulse rifles and automatics)? That seems to be needed if the Novakids are going to have lots more ranged options than melee when traveling.

8. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

This will be a hot topic, for sure.

I'm not sure what to think right now... I'll have to see how they implement it. Then I will post an opinion.

Not sure if I like the ONE race that has guns to start with when compared to ALL the others....

9. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Honestly,as long as they dont just do boring,old stuff like simple Revolvers,im cool with the Idea.

I seriously hope they will get some creative Zing outta them guns,I already say some of the Peglaci weps,those are the kind id find the most suitable,and fun,for the Novakids.

A exploding Revolver A La Dr.Peace,some Fire Katana Snipers or Scythe Sniper Rifles Á La Margaret Moonlight,anything,just dont make some boring old guns...

If you can make a gun that shoots Dogs,Meteors and more,why simply resign into boring old territory of Human Weaponry?

This is Ordinance literaly made by the Stars,lets not make it boring,shall we?

Dominater369 likes this.
  10. krylo

krylo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Why would anyone ask if this would give them an advantage? Do these people not actually play the game?

Guns are completely awful.

If anything, crafting guns instead of swords will make Novakids WORSE than the other races, unless guns are buffed substantially. Very very substantially.

Cipherstar, Stroodle and Sikab like this.
  11. FLOknows

FLOknows Subatomic Cosmonaut

Meh. I agree with others in this thread that the option should be there for all races. Melee vs Ranged is too different playstyle-wise to have a race crafting one or the other.

12. FunAsylum

FunAsylum Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah, when I was in the Alpha sector I thought "Guns will give me an advantage!" Those are 400 pixels I will never have returned...

Serenity and krylo like this.
  13. Kriminal

Kriminal Big Damn Hero

It's not like it's hard to find weapons just walking around pretty much any planet. It will still be easy to get a melee weapon early on. I imagine after balance between swords and guns are done so will the distribution of them be balanced out as well.

14. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

I am cool with races having their own unique weapon sets but i think all races should have access to crafting both melee and ranged weapons ( besides the bow that is )
    Maybe Florans should have their own unique bow sets. Gets more modern as you progress. LASER BOW!

15. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

I think a good idea would be instead of making guns do less damage, make them less reliable or less accurate, to reflect the nature of guns IRL. If the Novakid craft guns from basic materials, they should be subject to backfires, misfires, jamming (although I'm not sure how that would work), and maybe occasionally the gun completely blowing up in your face. Also, automatic weapons should make the cursor jump up or around so you can't rain consistent, accurate fire on people

16. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Hmmmm, yeah I'm not sure I like that and I use swords mostly.
    I don't get why the we don't have the options from start such as the emergency locker holding a sword and a ranged weapon, even something crappy to start like a flare gun or something to suit the emergency supply theme.

I think all races should gain the ability to craft guns once you have the realistic ability. A furnace and an anvil would only give anyone the tools to make very basic firearms anyway which makes sense that perhaps one race might craft a bow while another crafts a crappy hunting musket with similar traits.
    Eventually when we have machinery tables and other advances we can craft better weapons in the same spirit as other weapons.

I always enjoyed the choice of the game. Being able to craft the weapon I want to use and having that freedom.

The balance of guns vs melee wouldn't be the only balancing required for this to work. The drop and find chance for guns would need to be matched to melee weapons since the chances a gun wielding Novakid could find a sword would be much higher than a sword wielding Hylotl could find a gun at game start.
    As it is my gun box has 3 items in it and my three melee chests are constantly filled to capacity

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  17. Tomato Master

Tomato Master Noob Simulator 2014

I was seeing that a few people say guns really suck, and I have no idea why you think that. You have to think about the fact that, swords may do more damage, but they have a smaller range then guns, so you'd get hit more often. Plus with the new way melee weapons will work, guns will outclass swords by so much, people will be hiding in holes until they find guns.

Lintton likes this.
  18. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Agree, guns have the power of range. Throw in situational ammo, not all that can be seen clearly, and raw hitters like sniper rifles, and it can be just as deadly.

19. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

So, here's my old post about gun balance as it currently stands. Or at least, stood in April.

Right now, guns are weaker and/or less reliable than melee. Knockback amount based on damage dealt means that "short range" doesn't matter, except vs minibosses or bosses or things that can't be knocked back. Against regular enemies, guns do similar DPS if you can land every hit directly, which is tough to do. Melee weapons can hit multiple enemies per swing, has the same directional capabilities that guns do, and isn't negated by high armor on enemies. Also, try using a Triple-Split Ammo gun, and let me know how that goes for you.

The only guns that come close in power to melee weapons are grenade launchers or rocket launchers, and maybe sniper rifles. Why? Because there is only one projectile, so all of the dps goes into one shot. This eliminates the static damage reduction per attack, plus allows the shot to have the same knockback as melee weapons. Launchers also have the ability to hit multiple enemies, same as melee. The basic aim of these guns is to one-hit-kill something before it gets to you, and if it survives then you have enough time to switch to a melee weapon and finish it off. You can't do this reliably with an assault rifle or a pistol.

In real life, guns are better, because once you reach the "One hit kill" stage, range is the only remaining factor. Plus, most people move slowly enough and can't jump high enough fast enough to dodge bullets, even if they are wearing trench coats and sunglasses. But this isn't real life, because that would be boring.

20. Pingeh

Pingeh Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes, this. And, I mean...It's a sci-fi game. Should we really be stuck using swords? Swords are awesome and all but c'mon.

Pretty cool that they can craft guns so early, but not so cool that it's only guns and that guns are going to deal so much less damage.

Cipherstar likes this.