1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Not even hamachi works

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Yanazake, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

I can log in fine to someone's game when they are hosting, but when i try to host... well, it's a complete headache.

I'm seriously not sure what's happening, but i can't for the life of me open a single darn port on my router. I don't know if it's about my antivirus, windows firewall, my router, or my very internet, so bear with me and help me figure this out.

First of all, creating a network, inviting people over and trying to host through that didn't work. I have no idea if i skipped a step, but it just won't work and give the other person the error "Join failed! Error connection to <IP ADDRESS> : 21025"

Also, i tried opening my ports multiple times, but to no avail. The router seems not to let me open a single port on whatever ip is open or on all of them.

Now, a list of what i'm using, connection-wise.

Router TP-LINK model TL-MR3420
    Windows 7 ultimate 64 bits [just making sure]
    ESET antivirus
    Logmein Hamachi [lastest version]

I tried forwarding ports, tried unblocking all traffic for hamachi on said ports on the antivirus and windows firewall is off. I even tried disabling my antivirus' firewall to no avail. I have no idea why all my attempts failed so miserably, despiste how many times i followed guides and tried to open my ports for terraria and starbound.

ps: oh, right, i changed my connection recently, but none of that changed - i had the same issues even on my previous connection. the new connection is set up as "PPPoE/Russia PPPoE", whatever that means.

2. Goldeagle3492

Goldeagle3492 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

3. Churpy

Churpy Void-Bound Voyager

With the amount of threads I see about Hamachi not working, I'd think that port forwarding would be considerably easier. I'm confused as to what you're trying to do - you don't need to port forward to use Hamachi.. port forwarding is for hosting on the internet through your normal connection.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  4. Goldeagle3492

Goldeagle3492 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Port forwarding is definitely easier if you know how but unfortunately a lot of people, including myself, do not have access to their routers in order to do the forwarding. Since also a lot of people want to run their own server with their close friends this means that Hamachi is the most well known alternative. In other words, if you can port forward, pretend Hamachi doesn't exist but if you can't port forward then Hamachi should work for you.

5. Syntax42

Syntax42 Pangalactic Porcupine

Post a screenshot of your router's port forwarding page. Don't hide your LAN IP in the screenshot. Also, post your LAN IP as obtained from running ipconfig in a command prompt.

If you don't want to try port forwarding, try Evolve from evolvehq.com. Several people have reported issues with Hamachi, but Evolve seems to work.

6. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

I'll do that in a bit~ but let me explain first.

I tried using hamachi before messing with the router at all. Tried many times, without the server program running, with it running, i tried all i could think of. Even tried turning off my antivirus. For some crazy reason, nothing worked.

Then i went to the portforwarding method. My router just won't let me do it for some crazy reason - i can't put any ip on it, it's confusing and makes my brain burn. You can imagine how frustrating it is when you follow three different tutorials and none of them works.

Dinner will be ready soon. When i get back, i'll take the screenshots. I think my ip is dynamic, tho.

7. Jellyore

Jellyore Big Damn Hero

You have to run the server cmd and hamachi at the same time.

8. Sabretooth

Sabretooth Space Hobo

Hi, I had the exact same issue and just resolved it. I had set up Port Forwarding and when I did it I had to select an internal IP address (i.e. the one for my host machine). Things were working fine and then a couple of days ago my network connection just stopped working for Starbound. In addition, Hamachi stopped as well. After a couple of hours I noticed that the Internal IP address of my host machine was actually different now. It turns out that my wife rebooted the modem, router and my switch and I didn't know. My router setting were still set for correct port forwarding (21025) BUT the internal IP address was showing as my OLD IP address (not the new one assigned after the unrequested reboot ;-). When I corrected the IP address by editing in the port forwarding settings (i.e. assigning the new IP address (which was only off by one number) - everything now works again (even Hamachi). Lesson learned - in future I will assign permanently the IP addresses to the pcs on my network according to their MAC addresses - rather than have dynamically assigned by the router/modem and waste another 2 hours of my life. Hope this helps ! Cheers.

9. Lokai

Lokai Void-Bound Voyager

Even if you KNOW how to portforward it wont help, my friend and i are pretty tech savvy we have ports forwarded and it still doesnt work ...

10. Dr. Toros

Dr. Toros Existential Complex

I'd hold off on the tech savvy label then.

Are you using your IPv4?

Toady likes this.
  11. Lokai

Lokai Void-Bound Voyager

Trust me we have been doing co-op games for ages, yes we have done port forwards, we have opened the firewall and even tried shutting them down(the routers firewall) we have tried a static local ip, you name it we've done it. This isn't our first rodeo so to speak, and even my brother who is a licensed network technician has confirmed for me that the ports are indeed open on both ends. Not a matter of " something not set up right " its a matter of, the game needs its netcode worked on...same issues people are having now were problems in terraria to only now its 1000x's worse... We did get tunngle to work finally BUT we'll have to see how it holds up because done this before and then stopped working in an hour or so, and errored out.

Bothers me that everyone just assumes i'm not setting something up properly...been around PC's since i was like 6... and i'm in my 30's now, and i've PC'd gamed since i was like 12... so trust me when i say i DO know how to do most of whats been suggested( was an issue during static ip but was resolved via my ISP). So no i'd say this is an issue with the game.

12. Churpy

With the game set up with complete default configurations, me and plenty of others can run servers literally out of the box.

May it be your connection, your PC, network, routing, ISP, or any configuration of such, or perhaps even that the game is not configured correctly to work with items in that list - something is not working and it is nothing to do with the game itself ("netcode"). The "netcode" at this stage is as basic as it needs to be to work and as such, issues, and diagnosing issues, are fairly simple.

As someone who has worked with servers for over a quarter of my life I can say that this honestly has been no different than the setup for any other servers I have been responsible for, which has been quite a few. I know it's frustrating to have issues but something somewhere, in OR out of your control, is not correct. If you are absolutely certain you have cleared up 100% of the possibilities, it still leaves your ISP and how they route your connection, in question, which I'd be fairly surprised if you had control over.

Check over everything twice, play with the game's config files a little more. I've heard that the UPnP setting can cause issues if you haven't tried that already.

13. Lokai

Lokai Void-Bound Voyager

Well the point i was getting at is that you shouldn't " assume " that guy on other end doesn't know what he is doing, and you are correct if it is the ISP is not much we can do about it but, then... are plenty of programs i have are p2p and i have absolutely no problems connecting with them. Skype works just swimigingly, Terraria as well, well lemme just give an example...

Terraria: Requires hamachi like program
    Starbound: doesn't really work well, can get it to connect on occasion,

vs

Torchlight 2: no programs needed, directly connects with no problems
    Portal 2: no issues connecting with any of my friends
    Dunegon defenders
    Borderlands 2
    Magicka: as buggy as it is no problems with connectivity
    Saints row 3 and 4

So when i compare it to other mmos, indie or not i have ZERO issues connecting to this very same friend, and yet you are telling me that SOMEHOW terraria and starbound have some unique effect of causing my network to go crazy and not connect? i'm sorry but i'm going to have to roll my eyes at the notion. If other indies like torchlight 2 and magicka can have a good enough netcode that my friend and i can connect and enjoy there game WHY is it that both starbound and terraria oddly require hamachi? i'm using logic here...and logic tells me its something in the way the netcode is done, something can be VASTLY improved upon and its the #1 issue i have with both games right now...

14. Dr. Toros

From what I've heard, disabling UPnP is necessary to get hamachi to work.

I was able to successfully port forward the first time, exactly the same as I did with terraria.

If you never got terraria to work properly, then it is almost certainly something wrong on your (or your ISP's) end.

15. Lokai

Lokai Void-Bound Voyager

Terraria we got working easy with tunngle like program BUT the point is we shouldn't be required to use a third party program to get it to work right. When is plenty of other games out there that DON'T require that. That was the point i was making and i stand by that, if i cant get your game to work properly after i have opened my ports then, is something you the company must provide to fix and or resolve this. I shouldn't be required to do this for you. Other companies have done just this...and yes i know its something that requires the right programmers and i realize this dev team is very small. But fact of the matter is most of the people that buy this game do so for the co-op if it doesnt function with out third party help then to me that means your product isn't working properly at all. Are ways to make this better and i think it should be a top priority i am saying this because its still beta and i can hope it gets fixed.

16. Dr. Toros

Except it does function properly without third party programs for the vast majority of users. Most likely, there's something wrong on your end that other games are automatically compensating for despite your configuration.

17. Churpy

Once again, Terraria I managed to set up incredibly easily. Port forward 7777, boom done. As for this game, I don't know how you can expect something to be "provided" when the game is in the first phase of its beta and has yet to even undergo any optimizations whatsoever server-end. From the first server I ever set up to the last, which is this, I have never had any issues.

I don't exactly know what would be provided to you either. I have pretty good networking knowledge and honestly the more they add to the servers, the more likely things are to go wrong. From my experience the current "netcode" is extremely robust and will only fall over if it actually has a reason to. There's nothing wrong with the server or the way that it works.

18. Dr. Toros

Most likely what we're looking at is a furry with a big 'ol steaming pile of user error.

19. KitsuneXero

KitsuneXero Space Penguin Leader

I'm sorry, but from what I have seen in the forums thus far, both here and on Steam, it has been an issue with users from the US. Other countries, not so much a big deal.

20. Churpy

Honestly, from what I've heard about ISPs over there, I wouldn't be surprised.

However, it doesn't mean that the "product isn't working properly at all". :wut: