Modding Discussion [Nightly] Tech and LUA interface?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by MrTurkleton, Dec 18, 2014.

1. MrTurkleton

MrTurkleton Void-Bound Voyager

I know that the game supports lua based interfaces for interactive objects but does anyone know if there is a way to open an interface while using a tech? I thought it would be a cool idea for a mech to pull up a "Power Diverter" kind of thing where you can do basic stuff like take power out of the leg movement speed to boost fire rate and other odd things like that.

2. There is currently no way to open up interfaces via Tech.

Tech scripts are run completely client side sadly.

3. MrTurkleton

MrTurkleton Void-Bound Voyager

Interfaces for everything are client sided technicly. Maybe if enough people request it, the devs could allow lua menu support of some kind.

4. Yes and I believe it's already planned as well.

5. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

If you are capable enough writing your own code:
    I think what you want could be achieved by creating your own form of an interface. You don't have all the pre-coded functionality of the GUI API, but potentially you could still script whatever you want as long as you're capable enough to do it.
    There is even a tool that can help you create one for yourself: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/tech-ui-builder.1702/

Alternatively, if the only idea you have is to "divert power" from one thing to another, that is just another way of stating you want the tech to change modes. And in that case, it would be as easy as taking the input from a single button to 'scroll' through modes.
    This is an easier way to accomplish roughly the same idea. It may not be as elaborate as you might have wanted it to be but it should still be worthwhile.

Either way is better than nothing at all.