Modding Help Nightly build and skyrails - need help . . .

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by 25hz, Dec 27, 2014.

1. 25hz

25hz Aquatic Astronaut

So the nightly build has skyrails implemented in it, which is cool. I can build all the skyrail parts, but I can't connect my toon to the skyrail to actually use it. Do I still need to find the skyrail tech before I can actually use the skyrails, and if so, I assume it's in a random dungeon/chest somewhere? Also, I see that it is working in multiplayer, which is where we all play, so I'm hoping the nightly version works in there too, or would we need to go back to the mod itself?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. apinanaivot

apinanaivot Cosmic Narwhal

Skyrail tech is not yet implemented to Upbeat giraffe...

3. 25hz

25hz Aquatic Astronaut

So the videos I've seen of people using the skyrails . . . how are they doing that? What build are they using?

4. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

Skyrails were indeed implemented into the nightlies and are currently also in unstable.
    I believe you just have to find the tech. Though you could probably also just cheat and spawn the item.
    Type these in-game:
    Code:
    /admin
    /spawnitem skyrailTech
    Not sure about multiplayer, I don't use it. I doubt there are any main servers actually using nightly, though.

Dunto likes this.
  5. 25hz

25hz Aquatic Astronaut

Oh, ok. So once I find the tech, THEN I can actually attach myself to the rails? I thought there was something in the build menus aside from the actual rails. Thanks :)

6. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

I've not used the skyrails myself yet, but looking through the assets the Tech is definitely there and I don't see any recipes in the skyrail table besides the rails themselves.
    Though, I am making the assumption the tech actually spawns. I didn't check that part. I assumed you'd just cheat to get it, lol.

Edit: I just checked the treasurepools and noticed something peculiar. Apparently they changed the way you get tech? Now you only get a 'blank tech card' from tech treasure chests and, according to the new item, you 'program the card with tech at the ship computer'.
    I don't know if this is fully functioning yet or not, as I haven't actually played much of the game since last stable. I've only been testing mods I make.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Dunto likes this.
  7. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Lat time I checked, this was correct. The new system uses Blank Tech Cards to "purchase" or unlock techs at S.A.I.L., but the techs only become available when you upgrade your ship (which techs become available to "buy" depend on your ship level). The more powerful techs will become available at later ship tiers (and thus later in the game). This gives you some flexibility in choosing which tech fits your play-style. Additionally, you can have one tech per slot equipped simultaneously (one hands, one feet, one head, etc, slot categories depend on the tech).

Also, I seem to recall that you can craft the skyrail tech using a certain crafting station (I think the skyrail crafting table) instead of having to "purchase" it. Been a while since I've looked into that though, so it may not be the case any more.