1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

New NPC Race?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kastor, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

My brief research has told me that these villagers are quite possibly former apex that were... changed by something in the rainbow forest biome. They act as if they vaguely remember once being apex.

On the research gained through data mining, they are identified as colorfulvillager.npctype and wear the armor set \items\armors\decorative\costumes\colorful with nothing beneath. They are also extremely localized to rainbow forest biomes.

We must spread the word, beware the apex rainbow flu!

2. Crabcakes

Crabcakes Astral Cartographer

This is the first I have ever seen any of these lines, they always gave me standard Apex lines. Why do they mention Greenfinger, isn't he a Floran? They do seem to be engaged in farming, I have seen them whip out hoes and start using them if I recall (only for a second and then they put it away).

I know my theory about the rabbits is based on the fact that the Rainbow villagers and the Rabbit Sarcophagus have practically identical faces and ears.

I don't really understand why an Apex would turn into something like what we see with the Rainbow villagers. Interestingly they say "outside I am colorful, inside I am grey" much like the Avian Tombs are grey. It seems that the idea the devs had with that dialogue you found is that they are Apex who were transformed very suddenly and without their consent. This could involve Greenfinger and/or a lost dead race, perhaps the Rabbits we see in the Avian tombs?

As Shadowhunter suggested above, is it Apeflu? I heard Ape Flu is no joke!

Yzzey likes this.
  3. beari78

beari78 Guest

It was either Penguins, Greenfinger, Ape Flu, or Big Ape's scientists.

4. Your Buddy Bill

Your Buddy Bill Existential Complex

I've been meaning to upload my avatar but it's too small for the forums i think, it's a pretty pixelated sprite. Sorry for the snapping, I was tired.
    As I mentioned, there's a bizarre bug that makes them not load their lines properly for some players. I need to double-check the dungeon files and see if there's any odd parameters defined in the colorfulvillager brush that would cause them to behave this way.
    All NPC villagers have a chance to randomly whip out hoes and whack things. Just an AI quirk that will probably be ironed out someday.
    It is unrelated to the Rabbits. The Rabbits were a concept playable race that was cut very early on (the longest lived unused race seems to be the Space Elves, who got character select screen icons before being cut). The male Rabbit sprite was recycled into the Avian tombs, probably as a joke at first, but then they fleshed it out, indicating that the rabbits symbolize criminals and heretics in Avian culture, they will hop (like a rabbit) for all eternity, never gaining wings in the afterlife. Yes, it is a shaky justification, but it's really all we have. The similarities to Colorfuls and the rabbits is probably coincidental.
    The "inside I am grey" is not at all related to the avian tombs (those are underground-blue-with-a-hint-of-violet, or pale-indigo for those so inclined). It is a statement used to indicate depression and issues with conformity in society (at least in the context of comparison to colorful). There is no lost/dead race about it; Doctor Lax (an Apex top genetics researcher) worked with Greenfinger, and despite her being at the very top of her profession, Greenfinger completely surpassed her. Greenfinger is a brilliant being, and he could most certainly have managed this (I suspect he's responsible for florans as we know them).
    Ape Flu was probably more "lethal" than anything else... but it was an experiment regardless.

Grimmturd likes this.
  5. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

The bunnies symbolize Avian heretics who will never achieve wings in the afterlife. They will hope like a bunny for eternity.

6. Cell Materia

Cell Materia Cosmic Narwhal

you guys dont understand this is a literal easter egg hunt is easter season soon

7. Your Buddy Bill

Your Buddy Bill Existential Complex

But then they'd have neglected St. Patty's day. They wont start Easter till after Patty's day.

Rune the Red Panda likes this.
  8. Ferrettomato

Ferrettomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I too discovered them, but on my planet they dropped Burgers. One more reason why these guys are extremely WIP.

9. ZinnLav

ZinnLav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As some of you have stated that their dialogue is in the game files, with the latest unstable update (24th or 25th of April) I found some that used the dialogue. (Talking about Greenfinger and how they can't seem to remember things)
    So they aren't forgotten and they must've gotten a bug fix.

10. cyrus1254

cyrus1254 Space Spelunker

I have encountered the exact same species on a desert planet. Like you said, they have Apex dialogue, but do not possess Apex clothing or structures. I'm very intrigued. I must return to this planet once more information surfaces.

11. OuttaThinAir

OuttaThinAir Big Damn Hero

OK, that is kinda cryptic. We've got to get to the bottom of this.

12. RavenX

RavenX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's the dreaded Bananas in Pajamas race.

LastDay and Lecic like this.
  13. OuttaThinAir

OuttaThinAir Big Damn Hero

Yes! The terrifying things that just wander, doing nothing.[DOUBLEPOST=1422896944][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Or maybe they were afluent scientists who were studying the Rainbow Forest, and then something happened to them, which I think is the better scenario for story. And you say that they're wearing armor, but there's nothing underneath? This is truly becoming cryptic.

14. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

They're still apex underneath, supposedly.

15. dropdead

dropdead Big Damn Hero

Quite obviously that is what happens when somebody barfs rainbows over you. :rainbowbarf:

STCW262 and RavenX like this.
  16. Mills

Mills Phantasmal Quasar

Can you still find these rainbow villagers? (sorry for slight necro)

17. EpsilonRho

EpsilonRho Void-Bound Voyager

Florans I get, but how are the Hylotl dicks to the Glitch?

18. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

"[​IMG] Hylotl:Oh look, it's the Glitch's basic, childish flag."

They call them childish.

19. RenaldiForumStar

RenaldiForumStar Big Damn Hero

So, for at least a year now, all we know is that these guys are colorful villagers, that look like rainbow bunny people, but don't have proper dialogue as of yet, and no legitimate lore to speak of?

Lecic and MysticMalevolence like this.
  20. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

Ahem, I think I may be able to shed some light upon this thread. *cough /revive*

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry if this has already been talked and explained about but I didn't want to go through 7 pages of comments to find out. O ~ o