1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

my biggest concern about this game..

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by matthieu, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Lallykins

Lallykins Gross...

[​IMG] Let us never forget, Robo, the closest thing Glitch have to a big brother with a badass theme song. Included for your audio pleasure.

Attached Files:

mewfan151, Notho and Serenity like this.
  2. Kitty Khaos

Kitty Khaos Phantasmal Quasar

I like the lore for the Glitch, it's unique. I don't know why some of you have issues with it, I rather something out of the box over something generic and boring.

3. Infernisle

Infernisle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Gratz. You just rickrolled everyone.

Serenity likes this.
  4. GameQB11

GameQB11 Phantasmal Quasar

Ive seen plenty of fiction where they mix advanced technology with medieval tech. I dont see the problem.

-also, people forget that just because someone is from the future or advanced doesnt mean that they should automatically know how to recreate everything from their time. Unless these robots were taught how to make a gun, they wouldnt automatically know how to do so. If i sent you back 500 years ago, you'd be back to making smoke signals the day your iPhone dies.

5. Lallykins

Lallykins Gross...

Although Robo's Theme sounds a lot like "Never Gonna Give You Up" I assure you that wasn't the plan and I still like the theme song. Also, the term is Robo-rolled according to Wiki.

On topic: I think Glitch being stuck in feudal ways makes for an interesting concept. Glitch were created to simulate technological advancements of society. What does that say about those stuck in medieval times? Notice the castles, a King, perhaps peasants or oppressed serfs later in game. Maybe we're given a quest to slay a Robo-dragon from one of the Glitch King's?

Perhaps we should feel sad for the Glitch. They were designed to simulate sentinent life, and are perpetually stuck reliving a "dream" each and every minute of their existence, as time has long passed them by and forgotten about them.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

Someone didn't read the lore.

Jonesy and Evangelion like this.
  7. Lallykins

Lallykins Gross...

I'd also recommend looting those Glitch bookshelves for Codex updates, reveals a little more of the lore behind Glitch.

8. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Read their bloody lore

Serenity and Jonesy like this.
  9. rewjeo

rewjeo Big Damn Hero

Neither? A race trying to simulate the progress of civilization, but failing, makes more sense than devolution, sentient poop, and bubble swords.

10. Kamirose

Kamirose Big Damn Hero

One of the things I love about the lore is that they're taking some "stereotypical" archetypes and turning them on their head. The plant people aren't super hippie peaceful people, they're the violent ones. The ape people aren't violent and primitive, they're intelligent and advanced. The glitch are the same, they're not extra advanced, they're stuck in the past. It's refreshing.

Arceale, DaPickle56 and Darklight like this.
  11. backstabbeth

backstabbeth Pangalactic Porcupine

Reading comprehension is critical to backstory userstanding. Also critical to not making absurd posts.

Giibl3ts likes this.
  12. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

While I agree about the "the why the glitch are such was mentionned in the lore" sentiment...

... there's more civil ways to go about it. Like going "Actually, it was explained here in this particular article about the game universe's lore" with a link provided.

I would figure that it's not everyon who got the game on Steam which has followed the game development since the beginning. And I could imagine why a person, especially if they did not play as a Glitch themselves or didn't had time to create one just to reach their new character's lore, would possibly be confused due to the usual scifi tropes.

And even if one might have seen the OP as slightly rude about it, one doesn't have to be even more rude about it to make a point.

13. Notho

Notho 2.7182818284590...

Robo rickrolled everyone before it was cool.

14. TestSubject101

TestSubject101 Lucky Number 13

Its only a valid concern if you have NO IMAGINATION.

I found it quite quirky that the robots were medievil/sci fi mixture. I would of been alot more bored if it was just steel and electricity.

whats wrong with you people? this is such a MINOR thing to complain about.

no imagination whatsoever, its no more stupid than anything else imagined in these games.

DeadFingers and dionysus81 like this.
  15. Infernisle

Infernisle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah this thread is kinda pointless. Not liking an aspect of the lore is more of a you thing than a game thing. Especially when other people think it's creative and interesting.

Draconano likes this.
  16. Starhound

Starhound Void-Bound Voyager

I like the lore, but in my mind, I tend to imagine that they are such a new species, they are not as far along socially or technologically as the other races. I'm also a huge fan of the Apex. Tell me there's not some scathing social commentary going on there.

I have to say, I really like the races, the variety. The humor in this game is fantastic. Not 'hit you over the head', but subtle and clever enough to keep me invested.

17. dionysus81

dionysus81 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You would indeed say so, as a human evolved on earth with our history. Anyone evolving on other planets might not evolve the same way human society has, heck, even on earth societies are different. We even have many (modern) people living in wooden houses, whereas bricks, concrete or even aluminium are technologically more advanced ... :rolleyes:

18. Dead Squirrel

Dead Squirrel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes social commentary, but they seem to be pulled from some older SF books. Themes like "what happens if we take science too far", "what if the evil elite (Large ... ape) control our scientific discoveries". I love me some old Science Fiction, the creativity was ... disturbingly free of reality.

19. Tonguetyd

Tonguetyd Sandwich Man

They're The Glitch.
    Wikipedia says that a glitch is a fault in a system. Glitch were designed to simulate the progress of civilization, et cetera.

Fault in a system? System designed to simulate progress?
    Hello?

20. Starhound

Starhound Void-Bound Voyager

When I hear 'Glitch', this is the 'bot I think of:

[​IMG]

Lallykins likes this.