Multiplayer Trading

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Tamorr, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

First I would like to start by saying I don't know if this is the right section, or should it be in the "Other" section. But since this is in a way a game mechanic...

Multiplayer Trading:

You know the option to trade with another player while in game. Dropping items is fine and all but others could just come by and pick it up. Plus it would help with the lag caused by dropped items. Not that it has much affect when people are trading.

There is an extension to this in the spoiler below. Clans. After all there are people that play in that style as well, and nice function for Mass trading.

Initiating Trade:

Would be a hotkey that you push Like T (I think that is not used), that will turn the curser with a trade symbol and you selection person; alternative could be a box pops up and you type in the name of the person. The other person would get a pop-up to accept or decline, like how joining a party works.

An alternate possibility could be, or extension to this:

appending to that I have thought maybe putting it into doing it that way as a tier unlock. Where as it would work based upon vicinity of the 2 traders. By default you would have to be on screen, and later become able to use this the way described above. Possibly via the way that @Hrexandro mentions, through gaining an item of sorts to use when doing so. I actually was thinking the same thing; so safe to say we are at least having the same idea.

Alnernates/Additions to above:

using the /trade command in the chat to initiate trade. Which would bring up the interface when accepted. This has been mentioned before by a couple people I think; One of which is quoted at the bottom in the spoiler.

Clan trades:

Done via placement of 2 chests. Each clan representative places a chest before them. These chests would have more slots than your usual chest. The rep would do a mass trade in this way which each slot of both chest would sync; where as an item for each placed in the exact slot would be traded 1 by 1 at a time. Well that is the initial impression from the quoted in the spoiler.

It could have more than a 1 by 1 by designation of slots to be traded for designated slots. Designation determined by the rep. Those slots would essentially sync up or link in order to establish what would be traded for what within the interface of the chests. Once accepted the trade would commence.

How it is accepted can be done in a number of ways. One being what is already mentioned in the interface section via a button at the bottom. Another way is once all slots that are synced/linked are filled then it would automatically transfer flipping the trade from one chest to another. Then it is up to the rep to distribute the contents how it was proposed.

(please note if this is how it was intended layout of the original quote, then I guess I misinterpreted the initial response; however this is what I did get from it and figured it was a must mention in the original post due to it being like many others, a nice addition to what has already been mentioned.)

Interface:

I would think it would be simple chest like interface with some buttons along the top; those buttons being other options possibly. There with be a highlighted buttons at the bottom that is marked "Trade" & "Cancel".

Since this is between 2 people there will be 2 chest like interface boxes that will pop up. The one on the left would be for you and the other for the player trading with you. your inventory will appear to the left next to your trade box. Only your inventory would be seen to simplify the process; after all we don't want too much cluttering up the screen during trade.

Each person will just drag and move items they want to trade to the other person into each list chest space. Possibly defining an amount upon placement if there is more than 1. This items will show as they are put into the chest interface. So you will be able to hover over the items the other player wants to trade with you, as well what you are trading with that player.

When each person is done, all they have to do is push the trade button and that trade button will grey out. So if the other person completes by pushing the trade button; on your screen you will see the trade button grey out on their side (the right chest interface), and when you are done the button on your side will grey when you push it. The trade will happen when both players have that trade button greyed out.

The cancel button will cancel the trade. As in if you have already pushed the trade button but want to change something, you press the cancel button and the trade button will reset. Modify what you want and push trade again.

In order to outright cancel the trade as a whole I would suggest there being an X in the upper right corner of your trade window that will cancel out both trade windows, effectively ending the trade before it even happens.

I know it is still early in beta for something like this, but it still would be useful to have for simple trades. Sure this type of option would be low on the list of additions if was decided to be added, however I figure I would put it out there. Maybe we could even add a coin value box for trading pixels to other players as well, but again we do have voxels so that may or may not be part of it.

That about sums up what I had in mind. If you want to add to it or comment on this idea, by all means...:D

Thank you for reading, I am not such a great artist, so I can not actually present a pic of what I had in mind. Maybe others can? Well thank you your time.

Thank you again all for the suggestions, and comments. :D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. Game³oid

Game³oid Big Damn Hero

I like it :)

3. Luceil Mechanica

Luceil Mechanica Void-Bound Voyager

Or you could just have it to where if you're in a party you can just click someone's name and hit 'trade' which opens up a window that transfers items to the other, and you can both see what you put in and agree to, and for the trade to initiate both must agree to it.

Now, you might be saying this is broken because someone can supply a dude underground with loads of torches and bandages while not leaving the base, but I actually like the idea of having a dude explore the surface of a planet while supplying the dude underground. It'd give a better reason to play cooperatively.

M C, Guthrie28, firenexus and 2 others like this.
  4. Hrexandro

Hrexandro Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sounds useful.

5. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I don't know if that would be good for balance, but I actually do like that. If it were not to go down like that precisely, I would think the person would have to be in the vicinity. That is if that what you are suggesting would not be acceptable by the devs, otherwise I personally don't see why not. One could be the builder and the other the miner.

Maybe even put it out there that you must be of a certain tier to do that specifically, as in being able to transport stuff to someone not in the vicinity, but in your party none the less. Just an idea to add on to it if that bit isn't balanced enough.

Glad yall like it, good to hear others opinion on the matter. :D

6. Hrexandro

Hrexandro Subatomic Cosmonaut

The long distance trading could require some craftable item (they could be upgradable to increase the distance), like an "item teleporter" or something.

M C, firenexus and Tamorr like this.
  7. firenexus

firenexus Phantasmal Quasar

-bumping an old-ish thread ftw-
    i think it should use a trade system like the game Spiral Knights.
    Except instead of right-clicking, you will, like the creator suggests, hit T and click them.
    Except you can only send a trade request in the screen range, or for a few screens length if in a party.

Tamorr likes this.
  8. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Not familiar with that game... and it is not really all that old. lol

But always welcome to add or hear other ideas on the topic. How does the spiral knights trade system work?

9. firenexus

here, found this on the internet:
    [​IMG]
    in this, the person on the right side (always you) is giving a sword for 200 crowns (that game's currency) the person that is getting the sword has confirmed his trade, as you can see from the white outline, meaning he wants to keep it like that. any changes will auto-UN-confirm. when both teams confirm, the trade happens! the inventory also opens, when you click on something there it moves it to the trade section, you can see details on something by mousing over it! this trade system is hard to scam, stops stealing, and works at a distance!
    if this doesn't make sense, just ask me any questions about it.

ASalesman likes this.
  10. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Quite similar to what I mention In the OP. Except I have it going from left to right. where as you would be always on the left. the other player will always be on the right. Although I still prefer there being an X in the upper right corner.

The style I was thinking is similar to an MMO, as that is the best of places to look for trading schemes. At least I think. I do however like the position of the moneys. If that were to go I would think above the Trade button. The confirmation might be too subtle having it like that, and the reason I mentioned having it on both windows. That way it is easy to tell at a glance. I had to look at that image a few time before I saw what you were referring to in that area. Having the cancel button next to the trade button would help, when they decide that that is not acceptable.

Otherwise there might be a few problems in trading, minor considering the audience at this time, but could escalate. I do like the auto-cancel in some instances, like changing or adding what you want to trade so the button wouldn't be greyed out.

Of course there could be an option in the game options to have the windows reverse, so people could have what ever direction they want to see it in. That would be nice as well, so those that want it to go left to right will have it; actually like that as default, and the right to left will be the tick box in options. I know it isn't necessary, but it is an idea to extend to the lacking options menu of the game.

firenexus likes this.
  11. firenexus

also good, there was a x in the top-left but i snipped it out to hide the player's names.

Tamorr likes this.
  12. Deliphin

Deliphin Pangalactic Porcupine

I support.

13. zir

zir Big Damn Hero

Wasn't this suggested before?

14. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, game needs a trading system for multiplayer. For when you want to trade with a stranger that you can't trust straight away, it's pretty much needed. And password protected chests/lockers, and such.

15. Grinjr

Grinjr Phantasmal Quasar

I agree with password protected chests, however I don't think the game actually needs a trading feature. You can always deal with throwing on the ground just like on other games are. If you really don't want to throw them on the ground, use a chest to trade with others.

16. papachabre

papachabre Pangalactic Porcupine

I disagree. If you don't have a trading system in place then you're relying on the other person to be honest.

I don't know how often I'd trade with random players, but I wouldn't do it unless there were a system like this. I just don't trust any of you :p

Tamorr likes this.
  17. Grinjr

Grinjr Phantasmal Quasar

Like I said, with other games such as Minecraft, Terraria, and more, you just have to deal with it. Minecraft does however have mechanics in place that allows people to create 'trading centers', however.

18. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

If it was i sure couldn't find it with the search function. I did find things that were similar, but for something else like the trading with NPC ones. I might have seen it suggested before in another game, but not here.
    Need is a strong word, since like the other person mentions there are ways to trade already. The reason I made this post in the first place is not because it is needed, but more like it would be quite useful. It does have its' uses as @papachabre pointed out. And it is that very reason this would help lower the rate of "crime" a bit. I know it really isn't all that much to begin with, but there are very many different people on the net and whom play the game. Some are honest yes, but some are sneaky as well, if not out right mean.

In minecraft there are prevention measures of steal; ender chest. However there really isn't a trading system beyond getting emeralds from villagers. The lack of trading system mean you would have to do as (@Gringr) you mentioned put on the ground or chest as it is, and hope you aren't cheated. also there is no way to get an exact amount with just one click. So trading would take a bit anyhow if you were giving something other than weapons & armor.

The trade window is simple in concept and pretty basic, since it is something that would fit the theme. It is space travel, not a dumping ground. I can see the other way as bad business and the trade window as decent business. The only way I mean bad in that is the Possibility of thievery or dishonest business etiquette.

For me As much as I would love to see this in game, it wouldn't bother me if it were never to come. I support this idea yes in hopes that it will make the cut in some form or another. After all what's a space game with out intergalactic trading? even among other players...

19. Grinjr

Grinjr Phantasmal Quasar

You could make some a redstone trading system that is fully safe and you won't get cheated, so that's another way, mainly what I was thinking.

I think it would be a neat utility just not needed and some might think it could be a waste of code, however I think it would be a great idea for a mod regardless. :)

Tamorr likes this.
  20. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Exactly, that's why I said "it's pretty much needed". If you trade by using a chest there is no way you can be sure if the other player (stranger) would take your stuff and not give you anything in return. It's not a trade unless you are exchanging things. And you can't trust every person out there, so using a chest would not be the best way to trade.

But a password protected chest/locker would be nice to have on the spaceship as an example. Just to keep your things safe from the people in your party. On the spaceship the chest/locker could be indestructible, while if you use such a chest/locker on a random planet which is not your home planet, then once the chest/locker is destroyed; the belongings would go to a reserve storage on your ship, which you cannot place items into but you can take the lost items back.

Tamorr likes this.