MultiPlayer and port forwarding?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Psychman, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Psychman

Psychman Void-Bound Voyager

I've been trying to play Terraria with my friend on multi-player, but it is just really hard because you have to do all this IP and port forwarding crap. I wanted to know if StarBound will be like that... I heard somewhere on the website that the "multi-player will be really easy to use." So yeah, and his mom is really weird and doesn't like doing a bunch of weird port and IP stuff. I really want to play with him! Just wondering if Starbound will have a different system with multiplayer that actually works.

2. DoomShooter

DoomShooter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It probably will. If you can't figure it out try out Hamachi. Works pretty good.

Dano likes this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

The devs are trying to make multiplayer as easy to set up as possible. Unfortunately, we don't really have any specific details on how it works at the moment.

As for Terraria, you might want to look into Hamachi. It's pretty useful.

Dano, Serenity and fallingorbit like this.
  4. bludud101

bludud101 Phantasmal Quasar

Unless it's LAN play, it'll need some sort of port forwarding. :)

5. Sophisticated Mayhem

Sophisticated Mayhem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I never understood what was so hard about port forwarding. Chances are Starbound will be easier to set up a server for (and be natively supported on Windows, Mac, and Linux), but you will still have to do "IP and port forwarding crap".

Google your friend's router type and figure out how to forward ports. It's pretty painless these days. Or just do VPN (Hamachi) stuff.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  6. .:FancyPants:.

.:FancyPants:. Pangalactic Porcupine

This, the only problem I had was getting a parent to type in the password for the router that I could never remember. Changing the settings is easy stuff.

7. dylstew

dylstew Phantasmal Quasar

What's so hard about port forwarding? You type in your router's internal IP adress into your browser(usually somethoing like 192.168. something), you type in the password of your router .Go to the applications & gaming tab, click the port forwarding option and put in the port and your PC's internal IP. Sometimes you also have to make a firewall exception for the port, which is also pretty easy. I port forward something in less than five minutes . Just google a bit, and once you undestand it's easy as hell. Heck, that's how I learn pretty much everything.Google, and asking questions on forums if I'm stuck.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  8. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

And what do you do if you don't have router access (university internet, etc). It's not hard in those cases, it's impossible.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  9. DoomShooter

DoomShooter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Port forwarding is super easy once you understand the concept.

10. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Exactly how Jonesy put it, someone asked the devs. about that and they said they will make it easy as possible.
    My thought is, for small servers 1-4 people maybe, Chucklefish will host. Kinda like Minecraft realms (but for free.) If anyone's heard of that. :wut:
    Larger servers peoples computers will have to host, or hamachi, or some other host.
    BUT THIS IS ALL SPECULATION I'ts based on what we already know.
    But don't worry friend! You will be playing with your buddies either way!

Jonesy likes this.
  11. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

I'm petty sure that Chucklefish said that they won't host servers themselves somewhere.

WoxandWarf, Sakaru and T-Bone Biggins like this.
  12. Mercnet

Mercnet Pangalactic Porcupine

Portfowarding is difficult? Since when?

Darlas likes this.
  13. warcore

warcore Existential Complex

its one of those things were its complicated when you don't know what to do its easy once you learn it

Vandrian and WoxandWarf like this.
  14. Mercnet

Hmmm, I guess so. I read instructions on how to do it the first time. Guess not everyone is a textbook learner.

15. dylstew

It's pretty self explanitory, you go to the settings of your router , find the port forwarding page and put in the port.
    Google's your friend in most cases.

16. Mercnet

Honestly, not every router makes it that simple to portforward. Luckily mine doesn't make you jump though 50 hoops to get to it like some others do.

GreenLink93 likes this.
  17. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

Like the others above have mentioned, if you can't/won't log into your router and fix it for whatever reason, then just download Hamachi. It's basically a chat client for networking.

18. Mercnet

Hamachi is good if you are only going to be playing with less then 8 people as that is the free license limit. There are other VPN clients that support upto 100 or so.

19. dylstew

The thing is, you're not really going to be able to host more than 8 people without lagg anyways unless you have really fast internet and a fast PC. If you're going to play with more than 8 peopel, you might as well rent an actual server or just join a public one.

20. Darlas

Darlas Starship Captain

You can use Evolve and Tunngle, too there are also game channels on the VPN but most of them not using the "real game" copy so i won't recommend playing starbound on them with a public game.
    Or just setup your own VPN but since you not really into port forwarding i don't recommend trying that.

If you just want to setup an easy method Hamachi is your best bet, other than that i can recommend Evolve since you can make party's and invite your friends to them so you have you own "LAN".