Movement: Wall Sliding/Wall Jumping/Dashing/Air Dashing

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Kashis, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Kashis

Kashis Title Not Found

I'm curious if you guys think these would be good additions through equipment or special upgrades. It would be great for exploring during PvE and awesome for PvP, especially if players create worlds designed specifically catered for these types of movements.

For those unsure as to what I'm referring to:

Wall Sliding is when your character is pressed up against a wall by holding either left or right while being pulled downward by gravity. This allows your character to slowly descend by using a hand and/or a leg to drag on the wall.

Wall Jumping is typically done in one of two ways:
    Type A - Character runs toward wall and upon making contact is able to jump off the wall in the opposite direction.
    Type B - Character runs toward wall and upon making contact is able to jump upward by repeatedly kicking off the wall.

Dashing is a quick burst of speed used to close the distance between point A and B. Sometimes it's used simply to travel faster and other times to close the distance between you and an enemy. In some cases, a Jump can be executed while Dashing to propel the character forward a greater distance than a regular jump would.

Air Dashing, as it sounds, is the ability to dash in the air, typically horizontally. This is usually much quicker than the gradual acceleration of Rocket Boots and grants players the ability to evade attacks better and traverse tricky platforms.

I'm not sure what would be the best way to go about adding this be it equipment or actual abilities gained from a certain method but I think they would add some real fun and excitement to Starbound.

Let me know what you guys think. Sorry if I am restating an previously mentioned idea.

2. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

Megaman-style movement, hell yeah! I approve, probably through some specific gear to have it balanced, but it certainly would be great to see it added.

3. Myonmallow

Myonmallow Void-Bound Voyager

Methinks wall-kicks will work.
    hehe

All these ideas sound like heaps of fun.
    I just wonder how intense the effects would be~
    That would be my VERY WELL THOUGHT-THROUGH opinion d:

4. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

This wouldn't be a complete game without physical abilities like the ones suggested in the OP, to be able to move sporadically would thoroughly enhance the game's speed, quick trigger fingers and twitchy movements can spell either swift dodge of an advancing blow from an enemy, or a projectile being shot at you, or could spell your doom with a poorly placed quick dash in mid air into the face of a rocket.

Wall jumping and sliding can also ease movement across rough terrain, but I like the idea of utilizing items to do that. Maybe cleat boots that will allow the character to perform such maneuvers. and rocklette boots for air dashing. Dashing on ground, or rolling I would honestly prefer, can just be an ability anyone can use. a well timed dash or roll could allow the user to evade an attack, be it melee or projectile, within a split second that the roll or dash is preformed.

I'd honestly love to see both dashes able to be preformed, a la Metroid, where rolling can be used to quickly get under blocks that are too love for you.

That brings up another point, I'd REALLY like to see prone and crouch behaviors put in too. crouching will let you hide behind 1x1 blocks for minimal protection, while crouching will offer full protection, possible heightened espionage ability, and the ability to use crawl spaces (under blocks through ax1 spaces)

AliceTheGorgon likes this.
  5. Drithyl

I think crouching and prone are already in the compilation of suggestions by Blue, so I guess they're already considering it.

AliceTheGorgon likes this.
  6. pUREsTORM

pUREsTORM Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd certainly like to see such movement capabilities in the game, so long as they're only usable with certain equipped items, similar to Metroid.

Ublind likes this.
  7. Dasaki

or just compiled so new people know not to reiterate. Organization, and all that.

8. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

@Drithyl I wish Mega Man could do any of things. His later look-a-likes could, but I guess that technology wasn't developed back then in the future.

On Topic: I think these would be great for some sort of item that you could equip sometime in game, maybe even all of them with one item in the later game.

9. Kashis

Kashis Title Not Found

An interesting way to give players this ability is to maybe capture monsters that exhibit these unique traits, extract cells/DNA into a chip that can be placed in your characters body. These enhancers can have positive and/or negative stat gains as well as unlock latent abilities. Since they've already stated that some monsters can be captured for use as pets, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to use them for science too.

Maybe the enhancement chips can also be placed into weapons and armor as well, providing special effects/bonus stats.

10. Nithilus

Nithilus Big Damn Hero

Nice idea to implement into game, should make things more easy for traversing uneven terrain instead of jumping every half a second. :p

11. Dasaki

I don't think we'll have to worry about jumping over stuff THAT much, devs already expressed having slopes for stuff, like stairs, and terrain inclines/declines.

12. Destro

Destro Phantasmal Quasar

Your ideas are quite nice and I really hope these kinds of things will be ingame, because that would really help making melee fighting worth it. I don't know if your idea come from mega man games, but anything that spice up the fighting is welcome.

p.s: I did write about something similar in http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/melee-mechanics.1404/ but I did not talk about the walls and your idea would fit really well with many of the idea in that thread.

Kashis likes this.
  13. Kashis

Kashis Title Not Found

Ah, yeah you did mention them and yeah I got it from Mega Man X (good ole days). ^_^

Destro likes this.
  14. Drithyl

Indeed good ol' days, that was and still is one of my favorite games, such epicness...!

Kashis likes this.
  15. Soft Served Squirrel

Soft Served Squirrel Void-Bound Voyager

I love the idea of this and it really can add a huge amount of depth to nearly any game.

With that being said, I don't think you should be able to air-dash without an item, it just seems too powerful to be able to do that without sacrificing SOMETHING. And while dashing was fun in Mega Man, I think there should be something to keep the person from just using dash as their main movement. Like after the dash your character has to slow for a second to regain their footing, or you take 10% more damage immediately after a dash (I don't like that one as much). If you make the dash faster than walking with nothing to stop a person from using it, they will never stop doing it (looking at Castlevania there).

Also, while I love Mega Man X to death, I think that wall-jump type B would better suit the feel of starbound, from what I've seen.

Ruzert likes this.
  16. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

I think one thing that person would naturally lose when they dash is complete control. It is harder to get precise timing in when you are dashing because you have less time to react, just like in Megaman X it was one of the reasons you didn't slide instead of walk all the time.

17. Vapor Horologium Corpus

Vapor Horologium Corpus Weight of the Sky

oh yeah like some free running stuff like sliding and what not i am totally down with that lol

18. Kyden23

Kyden23 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

maybe have them as unlocked abilities so throughout your travels you learn them and some times have them upgrade them through research.
    Maybe even add in wall climbing if the mega-man thing doesn't get added although it would fit in more.

19. Urist McDwarf

Urist McDwarf Void-Bound Voyager

I definitely prefer type A over type B, but you should be able to do type B climbing with the proper equippement.

Kilo and AliceTheGorgon like this.
  20. Kilo

Kilo Pangalactic Porcupine

This would be VERY helpful for traversing when you could get ahold of the gear required for it, and would definately spice up gameplay! I'm not much for PvP, but there's generally a few light spars between my friends, never anything intense or specific, but These would be handy when exploring heavy cliffs and other rough environments! I'd like to see this in game.

rafeu and Urist McDwarf like this.