1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

MORPHIN BALL

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SteelSoldier, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Raybrandt

Raybrandt Jackpot!

But will the game have TUUUUUUUUUUUUBES?

2. PlayMp1

PlayMp1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Metroid has had twenty-odd years to come up with interesting upgrades to the morph ball. They can swipe from Metroid for ages and be just fine - there's going up walls (Spider ball), jumping (spring ball), two kinds of bombs, a boost mechanism (Boost ball [go figure]), and an exotic-matter powered tesla coil (Hyper ball). Plus, there's all the fun you can have with just going into small spaces with it and blowing stuff up with bombs.

3. Akitoscorpio

Akitoscorpio Void-Bound Voyager

I'm kinda not feeling it to be honest, I mean I like Metroid, and I like that games take inspiration from it, but I can't see how this is going to be useful in game.

4. PlayMp1

I can think of a few ways. What if a particular dungeon doesn't allow you to break its blocks? What if you don't have a strong enough tool to break a certain block that's blocking access somewhere? It also seems faster than walking - could be an excellent and fun substitute for something like Terraria's Hermes/Spectre/Lightning Boots (i.e., faster movement).

OneOnlyDan likes this.
  5. TharDrain

TharDrain Aquatic Astronaut

6. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A god of pokeball

7. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

I agree a little bit...but it still looks like a lot of fun.

8. PlayMp1

I don't want to seem like I'm flaming you, but god damn it it's not a Pokeball. It's a totally different Nintendo franchise.

[​IMG]

Play it. Love it.

Qndrez and Mukin like this.
  9. sankto

sankto Pangalactic Porcupine

It definitely need some kind of special effect when transitioning from humanoid to morph ball, but aside of that, it's pretty cool.

10. nic329

nic329 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have said it before and ill say it again. i dont know if i like the idea of needing this or that tech to get all the goodies in a dungeon. i understand it making things easier but to block it off completely to someone who just wasn't lucky enough to get the drop they needed that just seem wrong. stuff made form ore tiers and needed to advance is one thing but needing a random drop form a random mob on a random planet... not feeling it.

ps: any one else notice that the youtube video is by a "Finn Brice" probably dosnt mean anything but i thought it was interesting.

11. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

That's Tiy's name.

12. JackAllan

JackAllan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I get the feeling that techs won't be random drops like you suggest. I'm sure every problem will have several solutions to get at it though. I mean if yo have a chest suspended over a pit of spikes, you could use a hover tech to get it, or build a bridge, or use a climbing tech to climb across the ceiling. I don't think there will be any situations where you're fucked unless you have this one specific thing.

13. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

jeebus this is awesome.
    also, some people truly lack imagination lol

14. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

not sure how good of an idea it was to reveal that >.<

15. PlayMp1

Not really a recent revelation...

Hugt likes this.
  16. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

wonder if we can roll upwards too after gaining some speed.
    i'd totally see somebody rebuilding green hill zone and playing through it.

17. There are so many possibilities for this now...
    1. Underwater ball (self explainatory)
    2. Sticky ball (can climb on walls etc)
    3. Damaging ball (damages enemies on contact)
    4. Trace-damage ball (leaves some kind of trace/path behind itself that damages enemies if they step on it)
    5. Flying ball/jump ball (can either fly a little bit or make some jumps)
    6. Crusher ball (destroys blocks in its path)
    And there's more! Things like upgrades, balls for pets, ball races, ball deathmatches! :O

CalamityQuote likes this.
  18. nic329

nic329 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

well if techs are NOT random then that means you have a set number of planets you HAVE to visit. which very well could be the case for story line as well so that may be a non issue. and while i agree there would be multiple answers to a chest over spikes how do you solve the problem the morph ball is designed for. a 2 block high hole with blocks around it that cant be destroyed (because dungeons cant be destroyed at first.) maybe there is another tech but you certainly wouldn't be able to build anything to fix that problem.

learn something every day.

19. Athauxan

Athauxan Pangalactic Porcupine

The video suggested as much. They seemed to retain a great deal of momentum when they went off the ramp, like physics were in play here.

Edit: Unknown if that'll apply to anything steeper than a 1:1 slope though. They did kinda do a sudden stop after landing and rolling up the hill a bit.

20. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

indeed, but wonder if you would stick to a loop.
    t would be so awesome to make loops, could totally make a huge loopidiloop around ya house etc etc.