Modding Help Modding visual tutorial

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by archangelsintic, Mar 27, 2015.

1. archangelsintic

archangelsintic Master Chief

Hello there. I am interested in creating mods for starbound, and I do realize that there is a step-by-step guide on how to do so, but i'll be honest. Im a visual learner, so reading all that text isnt really helping me too much.

So i was wondering, does anyone have an up-to-date video on how to mod starbound? and if not, would someone be willing to create one? Im positive im not the only person who is interested in modding but the the wall of text is either intimidating, too much, etc etc.

By the way, I hope I'm not making myself seem stupid here, I just feel that it would take me 5 times as long to learn modding by following a text guide compared to a visual/verbal explanation, such as a youtube tutorial.

2. Its a lot easier to write walls of texts, than to make videos. Atleast for me.... If I were to try and record a video, I am sure I would get sidetracked on what I was doing and go browse the interwebs or something. What type of mods do you have in mind? I'm a very visual person myself, so I totally understand - but I dont know if I could personally satisfy the need for videos on how to mod.

The | Suit likes this.
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

If you are a visual learner - I suggest modifying one file at a time and see what it does, and learn each action step by step accordingly.
    After all when the game came out there were no guides originally - most modders only learned through experimentation.

4. archangelsintic

archangelsintic Master Chief

I planned on making weapon mods to start with, kinda get the hang of things through that first. But i was also interested in creating a new race or two, idk if that would be a whole lot different. I'd prefer to start with weapons if I had to choose between the two however.

Well, that is true, however i've never modded a thing in my life, and im sure that most, if not all the modders that just experimented with the files had some form of previous modding experience, either through similar games such as terraria, or games as vastly different as call of duty.

5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Nope, for most people its the first time modding anything. Starbound is made in such a way you require 0 coding experience what so ever. It uses a Data exchange format which is simple and easy to pickup and most values are self explanatory.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015