Modding Support?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by TheDeviant, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

Now, if this question is going to be answered with a "not in the works yet", that's not what I mean. I mean, do the developers of Starbound intend to have fully functional mud support (like the workshop for Skyrim) or what?

2. merlin.violet

merlin.violet Void-Bound Voyager

Mud support? I guess that would be good for quicksand and so forth....

But for reals modding support would be good, as long as it doesn't limit the things modders can do with the game.

Epicface likes this.
  3. Closseau

Closseau Big Damn Hero

I hope this game gets modding support It could really benefit from it

4. kijib

kijib Aquatic Astronaut

I want mod support to be planned right now considering the whole Terraria fiasco, the last thing we need is a repeat of that

5. MegaCakeFan

MegaCakeFan Space Spelunker

there are a few mod's for terraria...
    Namely "Reborn"

And just because one game had a "fiasco" around something, Doesn't mean this will suffer the same fate.

And Terraria had nearly a full year of updates and was usually on sale for 50-75% off

Me personally i bought it at full price before 1.1 came out (like a day)

Terraria
    "160 Hours played"

about 16 Cents a hour

Gotham City Impostors
    "52 Minutes played"

$15 a hour

IMO Terraria gave me a lot of enjoyment for what I paid
    and gave me more enjoyment than I expected for the "price of entry"

A few things to remember

1. It's an indie game, NOT a AAA title.
    2. Not all games have to have modding support. (you don't see Call of Duty:this years iteration with mod support) And before Morrowind, Nearly no game had mod support.
    IMO on minecraft supporting modding. it's free R&D for notch, How many ideas has he taken from moders? (A lot)

6. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

Relevant Q&A:
    1. Beanus asked: Will the game be developed to support modding?
    2. Rho_: the modding things a kyren question, she indicated shed like to if she had time, possibly post release
    3. Tiy: Modding is something we'd love to do yeah
    4. Tiy: aside from traditional modding though, we're hoping we can put out the tools we will be using to create missions
    5. Rho_: yeah, i can say if we do modding we'll do it right
    6. Tiy: so players can create their own missions
    7. Tiy: really easily

Tom Baker, Space Core and MegaCakeFan like this.
  7. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

Minecraft didn't support modding, somebody just created a tool to decompile the game and then Notch just used mods for every single patch since Beds. e_e

8. They do have plans on making an API/making the source-code available to modders.

9. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

I know, but they have not yet.
    And either way, Notch directly copied the modders.

10. Just a snippet from an IRC Q&A session:

Code:
    Beanus: Will the game be developed to support modding?
    +Rho_: the modding things a kyren question, she indicated shed like to if she had time, possibly post release
    @Tiy: Modding is something we'd love to do yeah
    @Tiy: aside from traditional modding though, we're hoping we can put out the tools we will be using to create missions
    +Rho_: yeah, i can say if we do modding we'll do it right
    @Tiy: so players can create their own missions
    @Tiy: really easily
    Also:

Code:
    @Tiy: If the game is available via steam we want to go the whole nine yards with steam support. Steam friends, achievements, all that good stuff
    So maybe that will include a Steam Workshop if they can.

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

That's good. :D

12. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sounds amazing! Mods in Starbound! Praise the starbound gods?
    ~ John

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. TheRev

TheRev Industrial Terraformer

I really hope they keep Steam out of modding. I mean this just adds work to people who want to write mods, and it really isn't needed. If they want to do the whole "Steam Friends" thing, hey.. whatever works, but keep Steam out of the Modding. There is no need for it, and long term it will leave the options open to how people move around their mods, etc.

14. fractalAssassin

fractalAssassin Tentacle Wrangler

Starbound mods would be cool, I already have some ideas of things I want to do with the game.

15. Eddy Steel

Eddy Steel Existential Complex

Mods! Mods!
    Mods for the Mod god!

16. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

You can't just mod a game written in C++ without some mod support.
    You can't just DECOMPILE IT like you can with Terraria (C# .NET) or Minecraft (Java). It's pretty much impossible to decompile a C++ binary (not a debug build, less symbols, etc) from assembly without putting at least 1-2 months of effort into it. So, if there isn't any mod support, there will be no mods. Ever. Until someone works their ass off and gets (us) a working source code. The (us) represents an optional "us" in the sentence.

Also, a Steam Workshop isn't going to cut it for me. I want to edit the game.

This

Oh god did i just bump :(

17. TheRev

TheRev Industrial Terraformer

I think the topic is still valid, and I rather someone respond to a past thread then just to make another of the same topic (IMO). Also this is very true, it is Very... Very difficult to work on something when you don't have access to any of the code. I have worked with Mods/Plugins for minecraft (Buckit and vanilla) and there is a lot of extra steps you have to go through just to get anything to work.

I have no problems with Digital distribution, nor adding a game to steam so you can do the whole steam friends, but past those things all steam does is start to require an always on connection (If you say no it doesn't I have lots of people who can explain to you the problems of not being able to play any of their steam games since they were unable to get online), and it also adds an extra process to which has to always be running. Now add on the hassle if you want to do more about mod support through steam... ugh.

But I think we are in the minority, as most people want everything to do with steam for their convince. Heck with the modders convince or the the convince of others in general that don't have/want steam on their computer... But that is again... just my oppion

18. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I can play steam games offline just fine.

19. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

TELL ME HOW.

On-Topic:
    I don't want to have to call my "mod" a custom gun/item/whatever made in Steam Workshop requiring no programming experience whatsoever.

20. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

...follow the link?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.