Modding Community Rules/Guidelines [Updated Feb 24 2015]

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by mollygos, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

You're better off making your own thread instead of piggybacking on the rules thread.

Yuuma likes this.
  2. Luthor614

Luthor614 Cosmic Narwhal

Hey! Nothing crazy but have noticed a whack of Stardew Valley mods showing up in the Starbound mod section...don't they have their own section?

3. Nuto

Nuto Orbital Explorer

I just know it, I'm sorry

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

What are you sorry about?

5. intrepid-explorer

intrepid-explorer Phantasmal Quasar

How do I mark my mod as Outdated? Because with all the changes in 1.0, I'll have to rewrite most of it and that will take time.

6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You need to press the report abuse button on your mod - and in the box ask a moderator to move it to outdated.

7. ProfessorDey

ProfessorDey Void-Bound Voyager

This states to keep mods in line with a PG-13 design, does this allow for mods that work off the themes of the Flesh and Heck Biomes (Don't know if the latter is still ingame: http://starbound.wikia.com/wiki/Heck )? Am looking into putting together a Daemon Engine mod, so living machines that you feed NPCs and mobs to fuel, so a mouth, stomach, usable facilities (Infernal Furnace etc), veins as wiring, potentially producing raw sewage blocks at the other end (Don't care about this last bit, just makes sense). Certainly pretty scary, but given these biomes exist, wasn't sure if this would be unacceptable content. If so where could I post such a mod?

Edit: That description sounds worse than I'm actually imagining, hard to summarise the idea properly. Not too explicit as such, just pumping organs with tubes, cosmetic blocks and some tools to 'feed the beast' XP

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  8. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Infact i search how to pack my fridge texture without repack the full asset , any tips please ?

(answer here as possible please => http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/repak-a-texture.120791/)
    --- Post updated ---

Since we have things like that in game http://starbounder.org/Anatomy_Set , maybe your mod can be posted IMO.

9. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

What do we do about people who upload a mod with the same name as your own, and with the same concept?

For example I uploaded a mod Craftable Ship Lockers on 7/27/2016 and three days later another person uploads a mod with the same name and does basically the same thing as my version, obviously the guy didn't use the search bar or he would have seen what I already had out.

Because of this I will never get the feedback needed to fix possible bugs with my work since no one is downloading it, and it also discourages me from working on new mods if another person is just going to steal.

10. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

But maybe he started working on it before you , but posted after , we can't really know things like that.

After if never someone copy past a mod IMO it's maybe possible to prove it then report his mod.

11. The | Suit

My personal opinion is the mod it self doesn't exactly bring anything unique to the table, as all it does is make vanilla ship lockers craftable.
    I suggest instead make custom ship locker designs - custom sizes for ship lockers, etc.

Simply making it "Craftable" seems a bit of a shallow argument.

12. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

@Shadox2.0 A mod like this doesn't take long to make, I did my version in a few minutes, the other one was possibly about the same.

@The | Suit The other person's mod does exactly the same thing as mine, but with out being able to move that starting locker and with a different recipe, plus not only does my version of the mod make the lockers craftable, it also makes them breakable (this includes the starting one), I also plan for custom race support if people request that and I get the permission from the respective mod authors.

I have seen people stealing mods from each other on other sites, I thought this one would have been different, seems like I was wrong. I do have plans for another small mod, but if I'm just going to get attacked here and have mods stolen, then its no worth it (Note: I'm some one new to actually making mods, but if people are going to drive me out this early, then what is the point of continuing).

13. The | Suit

You only proved my point, your own admission - your mod does different features then his - and only share the same name.
    If it were stealing - it would have taken all the features - not the part as you your self put it "took only a few minutes".

We do actually take action - where action is warranted.
    Simply having similar basic idea is not enough to claim it as unique.
    That is how it is even in the real world.

At best - I can ask for the user to change the mods name.

Edit:
    To put the nail in the coffin,
    http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/475/?

A mod which allows crafting lockers back in 2014. By your own standards I would have to remove yours.
    Suffice to say - your idea is not new. People have made this mod a lot earlier - part of other mods such as Fully Customizable Ships.

Shadox2.0 likes this.
  14. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

Congratulations on linking a long dead mod, I use the Nexus site a lot and most of the Starbound mods are long dead and the authors are long gone, next time check the last known version of something before comparing it.

15. The | Suit

The point is - you can't pick and choose your arguments.
    Either you came up with the idea or copied some one elses.

Does not matter if it is dead or not - the main point is the idea it self is not "unique".
    I asked the other mod author to change their mods name - but you can't claim the idea as your own -
    The important words to learn are -"Prior Art"

16. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

Did you also look at one of my forum posts before any version of Craftable Ship Lockers came out, I was asking about a way to patch the blockkey files to be able to move those lockers to have increased compatibility with other mods (the other version has no reference to compatibility with other mods), once I had my question answered the mod was made and uploaded.

17. The | Suit

Dude - I have been here since 2012 - this mod has been made countless times in various other mods under various other names.
    People have made it craftable \ moveable \ they made different shapes \ colors \ sizes ( I think the largest one I have seen to be around 500 slots for ship locker s)

As I said - I asked the other user to change their mod's name - that is all that is going to happen.
    Your mod already is the same concept of many mods which exist previously, you can't claim "theft" unless you admit you are a thief as well.

So let us leave it at that shall we?

18. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

Fine I will drop this issue, but this just adds to the discouragement on making any new mods if I never get any needed feedback if anything needs to be fixed, and I thought this was an open modding community, looks like I was wrong again.

19. The | Suit

You seem to keep making contradicting statements and not even seem realize it.
    1. You claim theft - and I have shown your idea existed in the past.
    2. You claim it is not an open modding community - yet you don't want other users to make mods which are similar.

This community is quite open, Which is why there are multiple variation of Race Extension Mods.
    Multiple Rot Modifier Mods.
    Multiple Different race mods of similar ideas.
    Different lighting mods.

You are literally trying to promote a closed community.

IF you want feed back make it actually unique.
    Make Pokemon Styled Ship Storage Lockers - being unique will require effort.

Shadox2.0 likes this.
  20. Mjollna

Mjollna Phantasmal Quasar

Hello :)

I have a question about modifying Starbound vanilla assets for modding purpose.
    For example, if I change hue on an asset, or modify slightly a sprite sheet to make it recognizable/different from the vanilla game, and then use that in a mod among other things, along with a custom questline.
    Is that ok in terms of what CF allows with derivating the game content ? How original do assets have to be in mods in regard to vanilla content ? (you can feel my lack of confidence in my pixel art skills here).

Edit : I don't mean replacing vanilla assets, I mean adding new ones that directly derive from vanilla ones.