Modding Basics p1 - Editing Vanilla Files v1.4

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by The | Suit, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Thanks for catching that - made the correction.
    I have been using pak_gui so long I didn't notice

Korvic likes this.
  2. Captain Salt

Captain Salt Astral Cartographer

This is how my brain processes programming. [​IMG] At least i tried...

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  3. The | Suit

The thing you need to understand that modding starbound has little to do with programming unless your dealing with LUA.
    All you are doing is assigning values to variables.

It would be like pointing at a random object and calling it dog. You have now assigned that object the designation dog.
    Take that same concept and you have starbound modding.

As long as you follow the guide [ make sure you are on unstable ] - you should be able to get past the first hurdle.

Snigery likes this.
  4. Captain Salt

Captain Salt Astral Cartographer

So i just went to youtube for a demo of modding and i was able to rename pixels to ISK.

5. adsfckjmnsadc

adsfckjmnsadc Void-Bound Voyager

Nice guide but my game just refuses to see modded files... I have no idea why.

I've checked everything 100 times, everything is apparently correct, if anyone can say what I'm missing that'd be great...

[​IMG]

Game still shows the normal Coal name...

EDIT: Figured it out, the mods have to go to the proper storage folder...

I.E.: Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  6. The | Suit

Aye - stable and nightly uses 2 seperate folders. I should fix that thanks for reminding me
    Its there in the Mod Installation guide sticky though.

The problem with having too many guides basically.

7. The | Suit

Updated to version 1.1

New Things
    INCLUDES AND REQUIRED function in mod Info.

8. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

Cool! I did not know about these. I was wondering what would replace 'dependencies'.
    Though I don't really understand what the difference is, myself. Why do we need both "required" and "includes"?

9. The | Suit

Includes is optional - it will still run if they don't exist.
    Required - makes you order a large pepperoni pizza for omni everytime some one downloads your mod which is required for your mod to work.

10. AstralGhost

But won't every mod just crash the game if it can't find the right files/items/etc? I can't see a single instance where I could actually make use of this. :p

11. The | Suit

That is why you just use includes - which won't crash.

For example Kawa's Intro mod. Is seperate from Kawa's feline mod.
    So Kawa's Intro mod requires : [feline] mod.

But say
    Satyrs Frackin Flora
    it supports Tabula Rosa - but is not dependent on it
    So Frackin Flora includes (support for) --> Tabula rosa.

So if Tabula rosa exists, It will be loaded before Frackin Flora. If it doesn't - it gets loaded normally.

12. AstralGhost

That's interesting. To be honest I didn't even know you could provide "support for" something without crashing the game. :p Seems to me the game crashes at the slightest touch.
    I will have to check on that. Thanks. :)

13. The | Suit

Here is something a bit more understandable

My mod is a total conversion - I overwrite Tier1 blue prints because I have a unique unlocking system.
    But say Mod "X" adds something to the blueprints tier 1. If my mod loaded after Mod "X" what he adds would be overwritten.

So if he put in his mod Includes "SBNO" - his mod would load after mine. So after mine overwrites Tier 1 - his mod can safely add his items to the list.
    As you can see there is no dependency involved - in this case.

So there never would be any chance of crashing - simply a load order issue as neither mod is vested in the other.

AstralGhost likes this.
  14. gmod

gmod Subatomic Cosmonaut

SET UP
    Now that you understand the basics and have the tools you required let's first start by unpacking the assets. Which was covered earlier.
    Now that your assets are unpacked we need to setup our mods folder. Go to
    Code:
    starbound/mods
    Create a new folder call it example
    Now open up your text editor and write
    Code:
    {
    "name" : "nameofmod"
    "requires" : [],
    "includes" : []
    }
    Go to file --> save as. Save it in starbound/mods/example
    With the file name example.modinfo, do I need to have includes and required in there?

using this code (I copied it from here) gives me an error when I try to run starbound, says there was a "}" expected at 3:1

15. The | Suit

There is a comma missing after nameofmod
    -fixed.

gmod likes this.
  16. gmod

gmod Subatomic Cosmonaut

so with the patch method how would I make it so my character already knows a recipe?

17. The | Suit

18. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

Thank you a great lot for this tutorial - one question to understand a basic concept. Say I want supercoal for everyone on a server. Will this mod suffice to be loaded on the server, or will everyone need to have it installed locally?
    I assume the latter and wonder in which case the server needs to have a mod installed.

19. The | Suit

Since you are essentially only modifying a vanillia asset. You could get away with only the server. But there is a chance of the game bugging out.
    Ideally you would always want both parties to have the mod.

teilnehmer likes this.
  20. InflamedSebi

InflamedSebi Void-Bound Voyager

hay :) might wanna add a tool for searching the assests?

I lately ran into the problem of finding all files that contain specific values ("slotCount" in my case) but my Windows did only search the filnames and not the actual content of the file because the are named like *.head *.object *.whatever and not *.txt ... google told me to edit registry keys and indexing settings & stuff but that's not the easy way (in the end it still didn't work for me) ... I kept searching and came across a lot of third party freeware tools that also needed to index all the assets and stuff and still didn't work well ...

NVM ... I didn't gave up and finally found sourceforge -> grepWin.

Lightweight search tool, that:
    * does not need indexing
    * supportes Regex
    * can even Find&Replace
    * has lots of additional filters

my problem was solved in seconds ... i found all containers that can store 48 or more items within 1 search just with a little regex:
    grepsearch.PNG
    works well with notepad++ .. just rightclick the file and choose "Edit with Notepad++", because the Search Result field supports all that normal rightclick stuff like the explorer.

on linux grep is terminal only but "Searchmonkey" is the similar alternitive.

so if anyone is also confused where to find specific assets ... try this :p

EDIT:

and for the ones who need regex: RegExr - Learn, Build & Test RegEx

Tamorr and The | Suit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.