MOD-TUTORIAL 1: How to make your own tool (OUTDATED)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Ghoul159, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghoul159

Ghoul159 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My other tutorials:

Tutorial 2: How to create your own Crafting Table:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...-2-how-to-make-your-own-crafting-table.44992/

Tutorial 3: How to make your own Gun
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/mod-tutorial-3-how-to-make-your-own-gun.42937/

Tutorial 4: How to make your own Armor
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...-tutorial-4-how-to-make-your-own-armor.46928/

Tutorial 5: How to use "Ghouls Modmaker"
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...ow-to-use-ghouls-modmaker.60643/#post-1616672

Tutorial 1: How to create a new Tool (UPDATED):

Setup your own mod folder in "Starbound\mods" with whatever mod name you like (it don't have to be like the tool you create):
    [​IMG]
    you should create subfolders like
    "recipes", "sfx" and "items" to keep your folder clean and have a good overview even with many new mod items.
    into the items folder we create a redpickaxe folder for the item itself...

now we create the "MyNewToolMod.modinfo" file in our new "MyNewToolMod" folder (if you want to create such a file just use the text editor and save it as "MyNewToolMod.modinfo"...)
    write the following in it:
    [​IMG]
    {
    "name" : "MyNewToolMod", (this is the name of our mod and modfolder)
    "version" : "Beta v. Angry Koala", (this has to be the current starbound version)
    "path" : ".", (this is for subpaths you could make)
    "dependencies" : [] (here you can declare what mod is needed for the mod)
    }

The fastest way is to copy the files that you need into your "MyNewToolMod\items\redpickaxe" folder and edit them there:

Recipe(...\Starbound\assets\recipes\starter\crafting table\stonepickaxe.recipe) copy it to your ("MyNewToolMod\items\recipes") and rename it to something like "MyNewTool" or whatever the name of the new tool should be

now edit the recipe to whatever it should contain:

[​IMG]
    "input": you can look up the ingredients in other recipes and see the specific id for the item..
    "output": is of course your new item which should be named "redpickaxe" this name is important because its the id for the item
    "count": is of course the amount of items you should have or get
    "groups": here you can say where you are able to craft your item "cratingtable" says you can only craft this at the crafting table (look up different recipes for the other crafting stations) "tools" and "all" are the categories

you could set it to "plain" which would mean you can always craft it

Now copy the item relevant files from("...\Starbound\assets\items\tools") into your mod folder:

you'll need stonepickaxe.miningtool , stonepickaxe.png , stonepickaxebig.png and stonepickaxeicon.png
    rename them to redpickaxe.miningtool , redpickaxe.png , redpickaxebig.png and redpickaxeicon.png

the "redpickaxe.png" is the item which is shown in your hand
    the "redpickaxebig.png" is shown in the crafting window i guess? not 100% shure
    the "redpickaxeicon.png" is the icon displayed in your inventory

you can edit them and draw your own new weapon you'll see the proportions of the old image as a hint how big it should be

now copy the sound for your tool from("...\Starbound\assets\sfx\tools\pickaxe_hit.wav") or create a new one
    i copy it in my subfolder "MyNewToolMod\sfx\" and rename it to "redpickaxe_hit.wav"

now edit the "redpickaxe.miningtool":

[​IMG]

here a description for every row and dont forget the , after the properties like in the stonepickaxe.miningtool example:

"itemName" : (is the id and very important for this tutorial it should be) "redpickaxe"
    "inventoryIcon" : (is of course the new inventory incon which you copied already)) "redpickaxeicon.png"
    "dropCollision" : ( i'm pretty shure it's the collision box of the item if you drop it cou can leave it if you want) [-4.0, -3.0, 4.0, 3.0],
    "maxStack" : ( this is how you can stack this item in your inventory) 1,
    "rarity" : (this is the rarity of your item and changes even the "rarity-color" i think)"common",
    "inspectionKind" : (the category of the item) "tool",
    "description" : (this is of course the description) "Redpickaxe is nice!",
    "shortdescription" : (a shorter description)"Red Pickaxe",
    "largeImage" : (the image in the crafting menu which you copied already)) "redpickaxebig.png",
    "image" : (the image of your item which you copied already) "redpickaxe.png",
    "handPosition" : (whre the hand of the player grabs the tool) [-3, -4],
    "fireTime" : (how fast it swings)0.3,
    "swingStart" : (i think this is the angle from where it swings)-40,
    "swingFinish" : (and here the angle to where it swings) 60,
    "blockRadius" : (how wide the radius of mining is)3,
    "altBlockRadius" : (self-explanatory)1,
    "twoHanded" : (if this is a two handed tool or not) true,
    "strikeSound" : (the sound of your tool and the path because it's not in the same folder)"/sfx/redpickaxe_hit.wav",
    "durability" : (how long you can mine with it)7500,
    "durabilityPerUse" : (how much durability it looses per use)1,
    "durabilityRegenChart" : (how much durability it get from specifiy ore)[
    [ [ "copperore" ], 750], [ [ "silverore" ], 1125], [ [ "goldore" ], 1500], [ [ "platinumore" ], 1875], [ [ "diamond" ], 2250]
    ],
    "tileDamage" : (how fast it mines)0.8,
    "tileDamageBlunted" : (how fast it mines with 0 durability)0.3

No we create a merge file for our player.config so that we don't have to edit the original:
    Create a new "player.config" file in your MyNewTool folder...

So edit the new player.config and write the following in it:
    [​IMG]
    now our recipe is already learned with tier1... if you add more items don't foreget the , like this:
    { "item" : "redpickaxe" },
    { "item" : "bluepickaxe" }

Lets test our own new mod! :) (i changed the color only to make it quick :) )
    [​IMG]

this is how the modfolder looks like:
    [​IMG]

PS:
    sorry for the typos and if you have problems or if i made a mistake post it ;)
    i used notepad++ to view and edit the text files but you can of course edit them with any other text editor

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. Sgt_scruffy

Sgt_scruffy Space Hobo

Thanks for the tutorial! :D

3. Khataclysme

Khataclysme Big Damn Hero

Thanks, i m a beginner regarding mod, can it work with weapons and armor ? If i want to create some ?
    Sorry for my english.

4. Ghoul159

no problem i think it should be similar...
    maybe i'll do a step by step armor and weapon tutorial next time... tomorrow or something

5. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Learned this from jordo! You don't need to put your recipes in player.conf. Just add this to your recipe:

Code:
    "requiresBlueprint"  : "false"

I just created a new character to test this and it doesn't seem to work. :oops:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  6. WickedWitch

WickedWitch Big Damn Hero

Awesome tutorial, just what I was looking for. Thank you.

7. SaintPanda

SaintPanda Cosmic Narwhal

Is it possible to mod in a craftable gun?

8. Ghoul159

i think you can i'll make a gun/soword/armor tutorial next time...

9. SaintPanda

SaintPanda Cosmic Narwhal

Okay, thanks.

10. WickedWitch

I would love a weapon tutorial, I tried to carbon copy a previous one, but it all ended in disaster.

I want craftable witch staffs. And I will add magic into Starbound!

11. necKros

necKros Space Hobo

I've been tinkering today with weapons, and had no problems except for understanding the "file:" call. It calls a file from the base assets folder, instead of the local folder where the object file is located. (I.e if your NewWeapon.sword is located in the Mods directory, you should call it like this: "file" : "/mods/sound.wav").

Also, take into account that each time you change the object file (.sword etc.) you have to recraft it ingame to see the changes, since apparently the object data is saved onto the character save. I learned that he hard way too :')

WickedWitch likes this.
  12. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

Wow thanks! I bookmarked this page :3

13. Ghoul159

i'm on it with custom bullets :)
    it's similar to tools and other items but i like to write these precise tutorials for people who can make use of it :)

Edit:
    i'm planing to make some lua scripting tutorials if i'm done with further testing and some problems i have with the wired objects

necKros likes this.
  14. WickedWitch

Thats great, so you don't have to inject files into the default folders and can have a separate mods folder, as long you put the correct pathing. Thanks.

15. Terax

Terax Void-Bound Voyager

what program is everyone using to do the modding?

16. necKros

necKros Space Hobo

Text and image editors basically.

17. Terax

Terax Void-Bound Voyager

such as what i dont think my computer has one

18. necKros

necKros Space Hobo

Unless you're somehow posting from a toaster I'm pretty sure you have a text editor. You should consider getting a better one however (like Notepad+ for windows). As for image editors, yo could do small things with paint, but... you know, photoshop.

19. Terax

Terax Void-Bound Voyager

thank you (and if this had a toaster i would be so much happier)

Ghoul159 likes this.
  20. WickedWitch

For image editing, I use GIMP, it's pretty powerful for it's price...which is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.