Modding Help Mod request: Planet and Minimap Mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by LostSeeker, Oct 18, 2014.

1. LostSeeker

LostSeeker Subatomic Cosmonaut

Been away from these forums for quite a while when I went on my various burnout phases on games I've been playing for so long and broke interest for a while, before finally coming back after burning out on OTHER games.

One thing that always irked me is when spelunking into massive planets for who knows how deep, that I often get lost and am forced to log out in order to go back to my ship, yet this really isn't an option when my family is playing on a Hamachi server I'm hosting. Also, since I managed to have 5 other characters bounce off my main's progress via all of them going to my main's home planet and working off of a large supply of various metals (mainly Rubidium smelted into Impervium), I've honestly kinda gotten a little impatient and want to explore more of the game since I have reached endgame at this point. If there was some sort of in-game mapping tool I could use to find out where the heck I'm at inside of the planet, that would be a godsend, but...

I've searched up everything relevant to somehow enabling a minimap/planet map or even modding one into the game, but so far, haven't found anything. So, here I am, asking for one, but I think that may be more easier asked than fulfilled...

Considering, how to even create such a mod in the first place, while also being multiplayer friendly?

A promising post by xxswatelitexx http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?members/xxswatelitexx.12375/ on this thread here http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/planet-map-generator.82253/#post-2136202 may just help us on actually putting one together, yet the other problem is if it would be even allowed without legal trouble (dad calls me Dr. Doom for a reason), or some other wrench in the way such as coding restrictions and limitations (also, knowing how to reduce the link size on these posts somehow by wording them into something much shorter would be appreciated, couldn't find that either in the Forum Info and Announcements page).

So, thoughts?

EDIT: Planet, not Plant :facepalm:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

With the nightly ui changes, things like this are being made:

3. LostSeeker

LostSeeker Subatomic Cosmonaut

:eek: Oh WOW...

If it's an in-game item you actually have to build and not something to conveniently be portable, I'd still be down for that, especially considering the progressive nature of the game. If this gets added in, this thing is having an inventory space permanently dedicated to this thing. I still haven't ventured into the nightly builds, but I just wonder if you use a separate character list than the Enraged Koala build (I REALLY take my 6 characters on Enraged personal).

4. What was posted is the closest you are ever going to get to something like that.in the near future.

5. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

And I'm sure Supergeek will continue to polish it over time. This is a fairly early version!

6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator