1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Melee weapons are not very responsive

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Moon Pup Martin, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Moon Pup Martin

Moon Pup Martin Orbital Explorer

So i'm not too sure if chucklefish intended this or not, but characters can't move there melee weapon over there heads or down? Seriously, most of the enemies like to jump or rain things down on you you can't maneuver your swing angle. The spear SUCKS, big time, when something is pouncing on top of me and i can only poke straight in front of myself like a moron i get frustrated. Other than that there are few things bothering me and i am greatly enjoying the game. Hope this changes. Thank you chucklefish

So i made a thread in the suggestion section as was recommended by Coldhart. It describes my ideas and thoughts on way's to improve the melee system.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/increase-the-response-from-melee-weapons.38715/
    thanks for feedback feel free to give your opinion, feedback and ideas

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    stefrele likes this.
  2. Affero

Affero Contributor

Yeah it requires some skill and some getting used to. I'm sure you are accustomed to Terrarias direction style? Well get ready to learn something new instead, because this system is MOST LIKELY staying. I think fighting with a spear can be rather fun.

blueokapi12 and Inkheart like this.
  3. Ear

Ear Orbital Explorer

I have to agree, it is frustrating and unrealistic. I have the Lite swords (forgot name) and can only swing left and right, since when can't people lift small swords over their heads?

Ezkaton and Moon Pup Martin like this.
  4. Darrare

Darrare Lucky Number 13

get a 2h sword or hammer, and win game. good luck

Affero likes this.
  5. Skittletits

Skittletits Space Hobo

I still think they should put the directional attack in like they did in terraria.. I am missing it :((

6. Inkheart

Inkheart Big Damn Hero

I think the lack of being able to attack over head with a one handed sword is intended since you'd be able to equip a shield which blocks out most of all attacks. (Even projectiles)
    While being able to swing in an arc with a 2 handed weapon would render you more vulnerable at the cost of a larger attack range.

I suppose in that sense the combat is somewhat balanced out

I think the combat is fine as it is.

To each their own I guess.

Matt NA likes this.
  7. Affero

Affero Contributor

It's not like it's the same developers or anything.

8. Ear

Ear Orbital Explorer

It's not about who the Developers are, it's about what works best.

AzViz, Miss Andry and Moon Pup Martin like this.
  9. Moon Pup Martin

I have been using a 2 handed sword, but there are so many situations that are unrealistic and i also, why give you the option to fight with many varieties of weapons and then make it unappealing to use them. Sometimes i am standing one block above a creature and swinging and i can't swing a little lower to reach it? Come on that is dumb. And thank you people for your replies and feedback i appreciate it

10. Moon Pup Martin

It's not a matter of the developers, it's a matter of making the game a better experience... it doesn't need to be a space terraria, but it does need a weapon system that is reliable, balanced and realistic, right now it is only half way there. There are lots of ways to make it original without making it static

AzViz, Miss Andry and Ear like this.
  11. Miyuki

Miyuki Sandwich Man

I've found absolutely no use for anything other than 2-handed swords. "Combat" for the most part has been revolving around trapping the monsters, or using some cheesy exploits in terrain features, like how charging monsters can't overcome even 2 block high obstacles. Anything that jumps usually gets stuck on top of platforms or book cases etc. especially in the glitch castles.

Anything with a ranged attack, let alone rifles has has been left to slowly building and tearing down sand walls between them and myself. Even a single block wide gap can lead to being shot to death. I'm currently on lvl 20-30 planets, trying to find materials in chests, as mining them takes much longer than picking up some coal and flying to another planet to fly around it to look for chests and buildings with gravity ball tech.

Lenney likes this.
  12. Coopmore

Coopmore Master Chief

ITT: no one has heard of shields.
    the tradeoff of a 2h wep is that you cannot have a shield. shields are really good.
    want a shield? stop mining, and go exploring, the first facility you find will probably have a shield somewhere.

Jhago likes this.
  13. Coldhart

Coldhart Aquatic Astronaut

Please add in some of your ideas to make combat more interesting in the suggestion thread! :D

Moon Pup Martin likes this.
  14. Affero

Affero Contributor

Of course, but the thing is that Tiy's vision of Starbound is very retro, 90's style.

15. Skaruts

Skaruts Industrial Terraformer

I have mixed feelings about this. For the most part while using swords or hammers it's not hard to deal with it, but many times it just throws my suspension of disbelief out the window when the monster is 1 inch below the area of effect, and I'm forced to retreat and catch the monster where he makes the mistake of jumping at me. And then come the spears... and I'm really not sure what one can do with them at all.

The biggest problem I have with it is the concern that chucklefish is attempting to make the game harder by making the same mistake re-logic made all across the board when it comes to terraria: hindering gameplay mechanics (auto-fire only for some weapons, directional attacks for certain ones, slow character movement acceleration, no weapon-swing area of effect, etc). A game should be hard on its own merit, i.e. the AI should be tricky, the monsters should be strong enough, etc. A game should NOT be hard because the gameplay mechanics are tricky and limited. As blizzard used to say, and game should be "easy to play, hard to master", that should be the goal of any developer, and not "hard to play, easy to master", and the latter is where terraria failed pretty much all over the place. So, in short, deliberately limiting gameplay mechanics should NOT be the solution to make a game hard. (unfortunately too many developers make that mistake, not just re-logic and chucklefish)

Also, not all older games were limited in their gameplay mechanics like that, but even if they were and they were trying to mimick it, I'd still consider it a mistake. I very much prefer to play a modern game that brings back the nostalgia of playing old games but while still introducing all the advantages of the current tech (which includes gameplay mechanics, not just dynamic lighting).

I would indeed prefer to be able to aim my sword against a decent AI, than having to accomodate to limited gameplay mechanics regardless of the AI. I don't know, however, if this is too late to be changed now.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Mystify, Lenney, Matt NA and 7 others like this.
  16. Moon Pup Martin

Thank you Affrero for takling to me i have some idea's and i'll start a suggestion thread here soon with a link between this thread and the suggestion thread. My first thought was to make the combat style like an arcade game, if you duck and swing you make a low attack, if you hold up and swing you make a high attack. Maybe even combat styles or combos could be implemented. I think a racial combat style would be very interesting and very fitting for this game

17. Jhago

Jhago Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can make a shield now, I think using the anvil. The recipe is pretty cheap too.
    And yup, with a shield I pretty much own everything, don't even need to cheese. Just block and slash. Quite fun as well.

18. Honestly I like it. Reminds me of Castlevania and, recently, Rogue Legacy.

Jhago likes this.
  19. Affero

Affero Contributor

I do too, I'm perfectly fine with it. But I guess it's just because I grew up with those kinds of games. While 13 year olds might not have experienced it and can't really appriciate it as much.

Miss Andry and SuperMandrew like this.
  20. Custardsquare

Custardsquare Big Damn Hero

i actually like using the spear more than 2h ;x