Race Meet the Novakid

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Bietol, Apr 4, 2013.

1. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

well Tiy is a good man, im sure he will do everything he can to make sure both parties are happy,

2. Zain Hallows

Zain Hallows Existential Complex

I cant help but feel ignored :<

3. Nuts. M-maybe there's another way to make the rocks work. Maybe I'll be presumptuous and try playing with that on my own a bit here with the official sprites.

Noc, Zain Hallows and Tojo like this.
  4. Zain Hallows

I love that idea...I really like where this is going. i'm a huge fan of anodynes so...this means a lot :3!

5. imbelow

imbelow Orbital Explorer

Soooo good

6. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

nova.png
    i made my own because fuck you thats why! because i was bored :p

AstroBlast and Zain Hallows like this.
  7. Note: My inability to sprite should not rule out an idea's ability to work

Alright, so here are my early findings:
    [​IMG]
    I can kind of see why they didn't go this route. These guys look dirty, or diseased.

But if I edit out the brand:
    [​IMG]
    It looks a lot less gross. I'm thinking maybe some brand variants can be Anodyne face-rocks; this way the pixels don't fight for clarity.
    Lore-wise, it could be a form of brand scarring or deformation. Or freckles.

The bloody/poopy hands thing needs work, though. I'll probably try again tomorrow, and pick some smarter colors.

8. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

See thats what i thought as well. The second makes sense but in the chargen each race needs 2 extra detail stuff, like beard for apex, detail color for glitch, fluff for Avain, so on and so forth. So im sitting here and wondering what the extra detail is for the Novakid. Brand style takes up one slot, but what takes up the other slot. I honestly dont see anything taking those slots other than stone/slag color, unless you're willing to let people color the brands

Zain Hallows likes this.
  9. The main details are:
    • body color
    • corona (hair)
    • brand
    I don't really have any power to permit/deny what people can do, I'm afraid. But yes, I'm certainly down with colored brands (one of the early sketches even shows this).

Zain Hallows likes this.
  10. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

oh I mistakened that post about the colored brands then, i thought you didnt like the idea, thats why i said it. That is again my own hindsight sorry.

11. Vizendel

Vizendel Pangalactic Porcupine

Oooh.

You should ask the devs if we can make custom brands to be implemented. :D

12. Zain Hallows

why not replace brands with the rock? like my icon?

13. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

Is it a Novakid with a rock brand or an Anodyne with a different rock make up. The main feature of the Anoydnes and what makes them stand out is that they are completely faceless. Which is something that kinda borderlines the question of whether or not the brand should be removed or replaced completely. In my opinion the brand is fine, that extra detail slot has to be used by something so its only fair to keep it in, As well as their relation the lore and possibly how the cloning mechanic will work on the race

14. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I think the spritework and background fit Starbound perfectly. No wonder they used this as the stretch goal!

15. ThePhail

ThePhail Subatomic Cosmonaut

I made some symbols that could be used as brands. Nothing too fancy :)

[​IMG]
    1+ like if you can see what the bottom lane is supposed to look like

16. The CrazyD

The CrazyD Title Not Found

Aaaw they look so cute :3

17. ThePhail

ThePhail Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm also in the process of making some corona (hairstyles) that could also be used. I'll post them later!

18. I think so far, I believe physically changing the appearance won't do much good. Considering the Anodynes have no position in lore or recognition [No hint of Anodyne in the race's name]. if the Anodynes take the physiology of the Novakids, how will we know for certain that that is taken from the Anodyne, and not just an abnormal-looking Novakid with a lacking brand and crusty skin?

A compromise I thought of would be rather quite a long shot. It would involve a neoclassical style when it comes to lore- that means they retain their cowboy style and appearance, but there's hints of greek and roman culture here and there. Not to mention a name change that would either feature both Anodynes and Novakids, or feature neither. That way, it is certain that people will either notice both the Novakids AND Anodynes, or none at all [until they see the credits]. Considering this is asking for too much, honestly, I really don't think this would ever work.

banthesun and ThePhail like this.
  19. banthesun

banthesun Subatomic Cosmonaut

Since Suika's been such a pillar of the community, the least Suika deserves is a community with pillars! :rofl:

20. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

Cheers, good to know. I can't wait to see some of their objects then. Hopefully they'll have a nice blend of styles with saloons in their villages and plasma blocks and things.