Modding Discussion Maximum texture size for TextureAtlas?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Delos-X, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Delos-X

Delos-X Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright, I've been working on a Normandy SR2 ship and I have enough to test it in-game, problem is, TextureAtlas isn't happy about the size of my image and won't let me play with it.

Error: TextureAtlasException: Texture too large for atlas, texture size: 3100 600
    004D9D82 (C:/starbound/source/graphics/StarTextureAtlas.hpp:11)
    0040B9AD (C:/starbound/source/windowing/StarAssetTextureCollection.cpp:138)
    0040BC16 (C:/starbound/source/windowing/StarAssetTextureCollection.cpp:19)
    004356DC (C:/starbound/source/frontend/StarWorldPainter.cpp:411)
    004379FD (C:/starbound/source/frontend/StarWorldPainter.cpp:130)
    004037E8 (C:/starbound/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:727)
    0040A2EE (C:/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:230)
    00407C7F (C:/starbound/source/client/main.cpp:49)
    004DB911 (c:\SDL-1.2.15/./src/main/win32/SDL_win32_main.c:318)

That's the error it pops up with, my ship size is 3100x600, which I admit is pretty big. Is there any way around this without from having to resize the ship? With the way the ship is designed it has to be big, otherwise the player just wouldn't be able to fit too well, either that or he/she can't get a look from the front.

The image itself is attatched, it's just a rough line drawing with colouring; though I'd really love to see it in-game.

EDIT: I just realised the mothership in the game files is split up, is there a way to get them to load together in-game, properly?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. Rodrix

Rodrix Aquatic Astronaut

Wow the normandy, i hope someone can help you because this is awesome!

3. DoeJersey

DoeJersey Space Hobo

I am having the exact same error message pop up.
    I did reduce the size of the Color map file to be 1:8 scale which but the problem still persists. My next attempt is going to just scale the shipship.png file until it loads in and relay that size back to the post in an edit.
    I don't exactly know what you mean about the mother ship having two files unless u mean the dropship and shipship png's but Im pretty much new to modding starbound and not really sure to even trouble shoot.

I'll keep posting any info I find, and mybe by the time we figure it all out itll be full of useful info to other budding modders!

EDIT:
    Reduced file size arbitrarily to 2000x400 for both png files and it did not crash so i guess thats a start!

EDIT 2:
    It is not loading the dropshipblocks.png that was edited and is loading in the original even tho i renamed the file.
    This was because I was not using a brand new save. all good there!

EDIT 3:
    Ok so, after sitting down and editing the files then starting a new charcacter and loading the ship the game's MAXIMUM: 2048x2048. Now I must salute the 11 Test Monkeys whose sole purpose was to CTD Starbound.....FOR SCIENCE!!!

Anyway I hope this helped keep me in the loop with further needs for help as I actually am also trying to learn how to mod this game thru trial and error and it is helpful to know what has worked and has not worked. Also who exactly does your ship designs I just saw your Normandy and its much nicer than the one I was "borrowing" (I didn't get permission but I would have before I would ever redistribute) all day today. If your creating these awesome normandy's yourself I'd like to know what software and methods you are using, since I am currently using mspaint.

Update:
    I was searching around and saw the space station assets inside the human ship folder which got me thinking there must be a way to put these all together. I found a mod called Derelict Space Station or something like that which just peiced theses assets together BUT while perusing through the .structure file mod uses 4 files to generate the ship. they probably need to manually be alligned with the coordinates but you can use multiple spaces to achieve huge ship spaces. Will link this download so you can see for your self.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  4. Hartomo

Hartomo Big Damn Hero

DoeJersey, I appreciate your science! :D!!
    Thanks!