Announcement Making mod installation easier

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by bartwe, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Carty1234

Carty1234 Zero Gravity Genie

I am completely confused by this "making things easier" update. Can someone please explain to me how this works, as in the structure of the mods folder? I previously used RockyTV's modloader which had mods folder that mirrored the assets folder but would only include stuff you were changing and you had to change the bootstrap.config. I understood how that works, but now I am completely confused by this whole .modinfo implementation etc.. Any help?

2. tifel100

tifel100 Void-Bound Voyager

This might help

3. Leosky

Leosky Void-Bound Voyager

use the same file hierarchy, override completely the items you edit

4. CatBerry

CatBerry Subatomic Cosmonaut

5. HaTeMe

HaTeMe Astral Cartographer

So, I tried to manually "update" some mods I want to use which is working so far.
    Now, I would like to use the Extended Ship mods together with the Arrangeable Ship Interiors mod, how do I merge them?
    I tried to overwrite the Extended Ship dropship.structure files with the ones patched from the Arrangeable Ship Interiors mod but that doesn't seem to work.

Edit: Oh got it.
    Code:
    {
      "author" : "debugman18",
      "name" : "Arrangeable Ship Interiors",
      "version" : "Beta v. Offended Koala",
      "path" : ".",
      "dependencies" : ["Extended Ships"]
    }
    Edit: I think we need a tool which is able to merge certain files like the player.config now.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  6. nightowl79a

nightowl79a Phantasmal Quasar

definitely, in fact let's all just stop using windows GUI and use dos instead..... A mod Gui wouldn't be bad at all.

7. Valaramech

Valaramech Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Or you could be a real boss and switch to headless linux.

The problem with a mod GUI is that it would pretty much just be a glorified text editor anyways. The only things of particular interest it could give you is the final output of certain game files and some kind of collision detection between mods. The latter of which is actually pretty useful. Someone should get on that.

As an aside:
    GIMP > MS Paint
    Sublime Text > Notepad++

8. nightowl79a

nightowl79a Phantasmal Quasar

I envision it as a bunch of property windows and dropdown boxes, with picture boxes you can just click to open your photo editing program, edit your item and be done with it. It would all be in one program, and with a click it should package the mod for use. It would be a lot more user friendly than editing config files. I know, I get it's still prety easiy right now, but there is allways room for more efficiency.

9. HaTeMe

HaTeMe Astral Cartographer

Well, if you like Shareware maybe ...

10. Baleine

Baleine Big Damn Hero

I fail to see the point of that new way to handle mods.
    I tried to create a subfolder in my mods directory and put all the files regarding my mod in there (it's just a basic mod, I'm adding a towel object ingame).

I put my object, frames, and png files in the folder mods/towel along with the modinfo containing
    Code:
    {
      "name" : "towel",
      "version" : "Beta v. Offended Koala",
      "path" : "."
    }
    And it fails miserably to load the images for my mod. My other files haven't changed, though.
    Here's an extract of my "towel.object"
    Code:
      "inventoryIcon" : "towelicon.png",
      "orientations" : [
        {
          "dualImage" : "towel.png:<color>",

Doesn't it means that the towel.png and towelicon.png should be in the same folder as the .object file ?

11. Xuhybrid

Xuhybrid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The only power it really gives us, is to overwrite existing files without actually changing the assets folder. This way, mods will still work for later versions and you won't have to reinstall them, for example.

It's a real shame that only the last player.config file is merged, but i suppose its a step in the right direction, and a good way to unify our mod development practices. I really fucking wish it supported merging or AT LEAST some way to add some fucking blueprints. I guess this is why he set the dependency as "tabularasa", as a sort of hint to use that for installation.

12. Baleine

Baleine Big Damn Hero

Oh, I hadn't understood it in that way. Now I get it, I have to recreate the assets folder structure in order to have my mod working.
    That kind of scheme is indeed used in other moddable game and I must say that's a good way to handle mods.

However, they should now indeed create a way to add blueprints :)

13. LastAi

LastAi Void-Bound Voyager

I don't understand what my dependencies are.

14. G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R Cosmic Narwhal

do you have a mod that requires another mod to use it? If so then that's where you enter the name found in thats mods.modinfo file.

15. kitsunespirit

kitsunespirit Cosmic Narwhal

Just to make sure, do we still need player.config files for stuff like armour addons (Lissars Kimonos), and the celestial.config for world mods (Toxic Worlds)?

16. sarcose

sarcose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Please tell me exactly how an xxxx.object file treats its path-based fields. After struggling for hours to figure out exactly what file path it wanted, this update broke it again.

Code:
    {
      "objectName" : "thingspawner",
      "rarity" : "Common",
      "objectType" : "wire",
      "description" : "Prepare for repair!",
      "shortdescription" : "Alien Beacon",
      "race" : "generic",
      "category" : "tools",
      "printable" : "false",

"inventoryIcon" : "/mods/mod_thing/empty.png",
      "orientations" : [
        {
          "dualImage" : "/mods/mod_thing/empty.png:<color>.<frame>",

"imagePosition" : [-16, 0],
          "frames" : 12,
          "animationCycle" : 2,

"spaceScan" : 0.1,
          "anchors" : [ "bottom" ]

}
      ],

"animation" : "/objects/wired/ironbeacon/ironbeacon.animation",
      "animationParts" : {
        "beacon" : "/mods/mod_thing/empty.png"
      },
      "animationPosition" : [-16, 0],

"scripts" : [ "/mods/mod_thing/thingspawner_logic.lua" ],
      "scriptDelta" : 5
    }

That does not work. "/mod_thing/thingspawner_logic.lua" doesn't work. "thingspawner_logic.lua" doesn't work. This is some elementary shit and it is pissing me off. Yes this is the right thread for this because this is the exact mechanic that messed it up again.

17. Xuhybrid

Xuhybrid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'll be adding support for the Tabula Rasa crafting table to all my mods, as well as providing an optional player.config for people who only install 1 mod.

18. kitsunespirit

kitsunespirit Cosmic Narwhal

Sarcose: Try removing the /mods entry so that it just reads "/mod_thing/thingspawner_logic.lua" for each of those type of entries.

19. sarcose

sarcose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That was one of the path combinations I attempted. It didn't work.

20. tifel100

tifel100 Void-Bound Voyager

If you want I can take a look.