Announcement Making mod installation easier

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by bartwe, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

Suggestion: Add a button in the main menu that opens up a list of mods that are currently loaded. In the .modinfo file, add optional fields that allow the modder to select an icon, display name, and short description for the mod, and in the mod list, it would display the mod's icon on the left, the display name to the right of the icon, and the description under the display name. The mod list will display the required mod name if no display name is defined, no description if none is defined, and a generic icon if no icon is defined.

Perhaps also allow the mods to be clicked to display a little window that will show a title image for the mod (if defined) and long description (if defined).

2. omegadrace

omegadrace Cosmic Narwhal

What would make that even better, is if you could enable and disable mods in that list.

3. Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

Yes, that functionality can be added later, should there be an overhaul in the works that allows dynamic asset loading. Until that time, this can at least be used to tell you what mods you have loaded and what they basically do. It can also tip you off if for some reason the game is not detecting the .modinfo file for your mod.

4. inylchilar

inylchilar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So... neow all I have to do is unpack the zip file into the mods folder in my Starbound directory and BAM?

5. Shadewarp

Shadewarp Pangalactic Porcupine

If the modder is using _merge in their files, yes :) And I'm guessing that all will, eventually :)

6. Kyrosiris

Kyrosiris Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, a properly formed and built mod should simply be drag-and-drop (or extract-and-drop, I guess).

If not, grouse at them in their mod's topic. :p

7. GARGOZETH

GARGOZETH Orbital Explorer

What would my "path" be if I were using a gun I created but sounds and animations from the assets folder?

8. JellyGem

JellyGem Starship Captain

I extracted and added my desired mods to the mods folder, but now the game crashes on startup. I didn't even edit anything.... Any possible fixes?

9. Shadewarp

Shadewarp Pangalactic Porcupine

Remove all mods, place mods, one at a time and run the game until you find the faulty one. Report your issue to the creator :)

10. RavenDust

RavenDust Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hm, i've been browsing a while but can't seem to find a place where all the possible entries in .modinfo are listed... Could someone shed some light on that? I'd like a complete "skeleton" .modinfo - pretty please with cream on top :)

TohKlidan likes this.
  11. kingenigma

kingenigma Yeah, You!

12. RavenChelsvokia

RavenChelsvokia Void-Bound Voyager

im not even sure how to do any of this completely lost on everything i moved the mods to the mod folder and nothing happened

13. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Did you move the mod's folder or the files in the folder?

14. RavenChelsvokia

i moved the entire folders into the mod folder and it hasn't done anything im trying to get the Izku character mods the extended character mod and the Avali race mod all 3 of them havent activated at all

15. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Most race mods require a separate mod to allow them to work, you should read the installation instructions for the mods you want and see if there are any other requirements.

16. RavenChelsvokia

i did read that it said i needed the extended mod thing im using xbawks might use other ones or look at the zbawks mod info see if i missed something

17. RavenChelsvokia

yeah that didnt work i need some serious help lol

18. kingniles

kingniles Void-Bound Voyager

Good lord, I may be a smart man, but this confuses me... Is it bad to have both Starbound and Torchlight 2? Because when i search up these certain things, either 1. I'm notice that I'm terrible at this. 2. Torchlight comes up or 3. Nothing at all...

19. What does this have to do with the thread, and why the hell did you bump this?

20. fevian

fevian Industrial Terraformer

I don't even know what he's trying to say, much less what it pertains to this thread.