1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ludicriously Low FPS - No Pausing in Single Player

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheHolyInvader, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Hydrae

Hydrae Cosmic Narwhal

I can't quite say how I feel about FPS since my setup is low-end but I would also like to weigh in no pausing in singleplayer. I find myself having to save & exit, look up what I need to & reenter the game. While I do enjoy exploring & figuring things out myself achieving that sense of accomplishment, sometimes being "a mile high" (CO humor?) has it's disadvantages. So not being able to pause in singleplayer isn't too big of a deal at this stage in the game, but it sure would be handy.

2. Thedot44

Thedot44 Master Chief

I still have problems .. :*(

3. Ryokozen

Ryokozen Orbital Explorer

All of the compatibility options were already unchecked. Running it as admin however makes everything run smoother. Although it still acts like it's crashed when I save and quit

4. Hydrae

Hydrae Cosmic Narwhal

It usually takes anywhere from 1 to 4 minutes or so for my window to go from the Chucklefish logo to the main menu of Starbound.

5. Semus

Semus Star Wrangler

I think that VSYNC is being forced on or something.

I don't have VSYNC enabled in the NVIDIA control panel and yet my FPS is stuck at 60. That shouldn't be possible.

To prove this, if I go to zoom level 2, my FPS is locked at 30, sometimes jumping up to 60. This means that my FPS is dropping below 60 and VSYNC is therefore cutting the FPS in half.

6. joulesFect

joulesFect Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ok thanks, that's reassuring... I guess it loads up most of the assets and so on and so forth during that time

7. Relinies

Relinies King Homestuck III

Performed every fix in this and the other thread, especially this one.
    Didn't work until I finally set steam itself into Administrator Mode.
    Will be posting this information in the other thread.

Envel likes this.
  8. martinsp007

martinsp007 Orbital Explorer

yeah I'm having the same issues as well. Lag that just makes it almost impossible to fight things. Kinda unplayable.

9. mccahon

mccahon Big Damn Hero

About 1.5-2 Min here along with the terrible FPS

10. DakkonMartel

DakkonMartel Subatomic Cosmonaut

does this apply to windows XP users? hope so.

11. DakkonMartel

DakkonMartel Subatomic Cosmonaut

how do we set steam to run in admin mode?

12. Relinies

Relinies King Homestuck III

I haven't used XP in years... But I don't think so.

13. 2Rare2Care

2Rare2Care Intergalactic Tourist

Yeah joulesFect it take me 5-10 minutes to boot up. Its normal for now. They said they will be working on it.

14. Jayfeather

Jayfeather Industrial Terraformer

Hearing rumors that the 548.3 mb size update fixes crash bugs and fps

15. Takeira

Takeira Space Hobo

I have the exact same problem.
    I have a Medium Computer, i still run Battlefield 3 with Medium settings, with a lot of FPS. And yet, in starbound i tend to have low FPS, Especially when i come to places where Light effect takes place.

For exemple, when i lit a torch, i lose 20Fps or more. The more light there is, the more i lose FPS, in general, but i don't think that's the only thing affecting my fps loss.

16. DaBa

DaBa Phantasmal Quasar

OH MY GOD! IT TOTALY WORKS :D 60 fps all the way!!!

I don't know if that's the patch or your advice, but THANK YOU SO MUCH! Also big thanks for Chucklefish team for releasing a patch already! You guys are gold.

17. Cryogenesis

Cryogenesis Space Hobo

This was what fixed it for me. I had to make sure I looked in the second place listed, but this was the only fix that worked. Thank you so much for posting this!

18. Rivinhal

Rivinhal Star Wrangler

Yeah, I had to look in the second location as well, but so far so good. I can't tell if it was the patch or this fix that worked, but something worked!

19. Gilmoriël

Gilmoriël Orbital Explorer

Excelsior! Thank you thank you! I can enjoy the game properly now :mwahaha:. I don't know how or when Steam got set to compatibility mode, but where before I was on 4x zoom with 15 fps I'm now on 2x zoom with a steady 60fps.

20. LiwenDiamond

LiwenDiamond Space Hobo

It works! I was getting 1-10 fps earlier. Unplayable. The patch didn't solved the issue, but the fix found and posted earlier involving the deletion of Steam.exe from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

did the trick. Even on my garbage of a PC, the game runs at 30+ fps now, which is all I really needed.

Now that I can actually play this game I can enjoy the millions of crashes like everyone else :p Ah first day of beta, always so much "Fun".

Jafu and JackOfAllTrades like this.