Living Planets (Or Planatary parasites) Revamped And Ressurected

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Nightly, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

So bam, Living Planets (Or gigantic planetary parasites, which is probably more accurate but lacks pizzazz I feel). Their big ol dangerous planets of flesh, organs, bone, death, more flesh, loot, and death.

DISCLAIMER- EVERYTHING IN HERE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

A pixelated picture of some LP exploration.

[​IMG]

Legend-A.k.a. Text Colors
    White - normal ol textual based informative banter.
    Red - Important shit, shades of red may vary.
    Green - Subject to heavy change/removal of feature.

Weird Spicy Mustard Color - Stuff I have yet to edit or change from ideas people allowed me to use or such. Mostly to show you which parts I was to lazy to fiddle with.
    Main Features
    The Living Planet, or Planetary Parasite, is a gigantic organism that infests a planet, hulling it out to create a shell for it to live in. They clearly don't like being disturbed so if you were to land on one and try to build a nice little underground bunker you would probably experience some unexpected setbacks in a variety of forms including, but not limited to, acid, tentacle thingies, immune systems, parasites, and other assorted bodily functions turned into weapons against the casual intruder.

Getting tired of all your shit being wrecked by the gigantic creature? Want to perform dark sacrifices but require the sacrifice of a creature bigger than a moon? Then just chug yourself down into the tubes and tunnel-like veins of the L.P., slicing up assorted organs on the way, and find its heart, coughwhichisasentientbeingwhowillprobablykillyoucough, and destroy it. Bam. Significantly less immune system to deal with, no more floods of acid, and the L.P. is dead or in a state which is so close it doesn't matter. And hey while its dead why don't you dig up some of that flesh and bone to mess around with?

Mobs
    The various Mobs that appear on an L.P. vary based on what type of planet it is, but they more or less follow a set guidline of three types.

Natural Creatures
    Basically any type of creature that was on the planet BEFORE it was infected and has managed to survive since. Due to the rebalancing of the natural order these creatures are much tougher than would be the case with your average wildlife.

Parasites
    Various little creepy crawlies that infest Living Planets, sometimes sectioning off huge chunks of them to form a rotting nest of various disgusting offspring of the various parasites. They would vary from small but fast units, big bulky protectors of young, the young themselves, some other bits and bobs of types, and if theres a large enough section of nest, a Queen (because bugs don't get kings).

Defence Organisms-A.K.A. The Immune System
    These are the Living Planets Immune System. Their not goops and slimes like white blood cells, their big mean hive minded individuals that work inside to LP to nourish and defend it. For developing LP's they also help to carve out the planet to create a snug shell for the creature's body.

Bosses
    These are the boss guys of the LP. They are designed to defend the incredibly vital areas of the LP and/or other interesting areas at all costs.

Coregan
    The mighty Coregan. It is the LP's only COMPLETELY vital organ as it acts as a medium of sorts for the body. It receives various vague needs from the LP itself ,the LP having a rather big, slow, and stupid mind, interprets them in a smarter and tactical way and sends them to various centers controlling, blood flow, defences, and all that body stuff. The Coregan itself is fully mobile and the one of the few seperatly sentient organisms that are part of the LP's natural body. The Coregan also telepathically controls blood flow, functioning as a psychic heart beast which is pretty much it in a nutshell.

The Parasite Queen
    Content To Be Decided- Got Ideas? Lemme know. I like input.

More to come. Probably anyway.

The Insides
    Due to the Devs mechanic of not being able to mine dungeon bricks till you destroy a certain thingamajig you wont be able to just dig on through the LP, youll have to fight through its blood, stomach acids, and various other bowels just to get to its heart and be able to obtain that sweet, sweet LP flesh and such. The insides would consist of various sections of diffent organ sections, such as lungs, stomach, intestines, glands, and all the other what have yous in the body as well as body parts unique to the LP itself, such as the Coregan Chamber, Acid Production Glands, you get the idea.

Organ Destruction
    Consequences/Advantages:
    By destroying various organs inside the LP, it would disable certain functions in the body and disable powers for the Coregan to draw upon.

Gas Sacs: These are large puffy looking globes that are typically found in the areas of the lungs and acid production glands. They slowly pump out large clouds of highly dangerous and corrosive noxious gas that drifts slowly across the screen all over the place, making travel very cautious and slow. Destroying them would cease the pumping of poison in the area and disable how much gas the Coregan can pump out into its chamber whilst fighting.

Stomach: The stomach is a gigantic area of thin platforms and full of various organisms that break down nutrients in the acid. Mid-chamber there would be a large something (got no ideas) that produces and maintains the stomach acid. In the pools of acid there would be alot of decent loot, be it weapons, money, armor, tech, or lore of the LP's themselves by travelers and researchers. Destroying the thing (again no ideas for it as of yet) would allow acess to this loot but have no impact on the boss. HOWEVER if you destroy the Stomach acid producer, the Acid Glands will be allowed to produce SIGNIFICANTLY more deadly acid in other areas, allow the Coregan use of said deadly acid, and prevent destruction of the acid glands. Keep in mind that the stomach acid itself is HIGHLY dangerous and will eat away at organic materials and some inorganic materials at a very high rate.

Acid Glands: The Acid Glands produce a watered down version of the stomach acids but spread it all over the body from its single source. Should you destroy the acid glands the stomach acid producer will be indestructible and will bring the acid level of the stomach up to a higher point. The Acid Glands enable the Coregan to douse sections of the Coregan Chamber with temporary flows of acid.

Antibody Center: These organs are spread throughout the body

Waste Disposal Center: The bowels of the LP are filled with acidic pools and anything else that managed to drop down into it, including you. In the bowels you are more likely to find remains of other explorers who ventured down into the LP and you can loot normal materials from them. At the bottom of the bowels you will find a large acidic pool, and a miniboss(Perhaps named "The Gut Worm"), a large white worm that is split into sections and leaps up from the acid pool trying to kill you. If you manage to defeat the worm the acidic pool drains and at the bottom is a large pile of bones of dead explorers, with a nice piece of loot. Defeating the worm will bring the Coregan down to 90% health.

Obviously these are all examples that are subject to change and more features may be added to make survival in the LP as rage inducing and impossible as my or other's minds may make it.

Living Planets Classification
    Welcome, Ladies and Gents, to the sciency and smart sounding part of the description. Living Planets are space bound Planetary Parasites that bred throughout the cosmos. They start off their happy little lives during some point when the parent LP asexually creatures a small group of about 5 LP eggs. These eggs are launched into space where they hatch in the idepths of space. The Pupae resemble basic ship sized meteors that seek out a suitable planet with their small but intelligent brains. Once having found a planet with an ideal solar source, as they feed of sunlight similar to planets, they land and dig straight to the planets core, which they convert to energy and hatch their Coregan. The Coregan receives the Pupae's intelligence and the Pupae grows while hollowing out most of the planet, its thoughts growing more instinctive and primal. Once complete the Living Planet is formed as a large Planet Parasite covered by a medium sized shell made of the planets crust. The only opening the the LP's innards is a large oriface on the surface that allows for the absorbtion of sunlight. Then the cycle is continued again and again for the forseeable future.

A LP's lifespan is incredibly long for an organic creature, averaging out as approximately 200 Galactic Standard years years. The conversion of the host planet to a Living Planet however is very rapid and only takes about three years. The total life cycle is divided as such.
    Hatchling and young life - 30 years
    Burrowing and conversion of planet - 3 years
    Rest of life and reproduction - 167 years

The layout and enviroment of a LP can vary greatly based on the planet they choose to inhabit, but only a few types of planets can not be chosen for host purposes. The planets are as follows.
    Gas Giants
    Suns
    Tentacle Planets
    Mechanical Planets

The Living Planets have also been seen to be infected by some sort of shadowy force in very rare circumstances, but there is little hard evidence of this.

Please note that you cannot 'befriend' a LP, Coregan, Parasite Queen and what have you in ANY way. That would render all the dangers lame and the LP boring since it would remove danger. These things hate you and your family and would like nothing better than to rip you limb from limb.

Special Loots
    There will be unique and fanciful loot that can only be obtained by using materials gained from Living Planets and the things that inhabit them. So far the possible list include two things.
    A claw like melee weapon made from flesh and parasitic tissue that causes high damage and bleeding on an enemy but has limited range.
    A cannon made of mostly bone with flesh and corrosive acid glands on the inside, shooting large globs of corrosive acid goop.

A corrosive sword that constantly drips acid, both poisoning enemies and leaving small acid puddles that cause small amounts of damage to enemies. - Credit To Nightmare Nixie
    Parasite Launcher that shoots small bomb-like parasites that have a variety of effects. - Credit To Nightmare Nixie
    Possibly some sort of armor made from LP flesh and bone that provides decent protection but various helpful bonuses. Various Tiers of armor as well. - Credit To Nightmare Nixie

More Features, Weapons, And all sorts of stuff will come to this idea as I think up crazy stuff. If you come up with a cool idea please let me know in the replies!

If you already made a post about this then sorry I didn't see it when I looked. Also gimmie suggestions since im kinda unimaginitive.:mspaint:

-Credits-
    Typlosion: Developed the organ destruction idea.
    JackOfAllTrades: Created the pixelated picture of inside a LP (more or less).
    Cooptex977: Helped refine the how finding a LP works and how it destroys your shit.
    Nightmare Nixie: Added some ideas for armor and weapons.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

Ooh, now that's a cool suggestion! :DD

Jeremex likes this.
  3. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

THANK YOU! I got the idea from some star wars galaxy of horror book i read awhile ago and the internet. So praise/blame them.

Mr Starzy and Straw Hat like this.
  4. Euanj04

Euanj04 Aquatic Astronaut

Would the planets be made out of flesh or something like that because I have a desc for planet flesh

This odd block came from a odd planet. WAIT ITS MOVING

Heartstrings likes this.
  5. Kitty Box

Kitty Box Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's a pretty interesting idea. I think it would be very fun to explore one of this. Nowhere would be safe and that is awesome.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  6. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

I think it would be safe to say that the Living planet's flesh n stuff would vary. Your comment gave me a brilliant idea though. Since digging through its flesh would raise its awareness REALLY FREAKING FAST you would want a way in safely (as much as a giant living planet can be considered safe) right? Giant freaking mouth tunnel (since there are no natural tunnels other than its insides). Acid stomachs and all that jazz eventually leading to the organ core. The stomachs would be full of loot n stuff but cannot be accessed until its dead (cause of the acid). Whaddya all think? :idea:

7. bounding star

bounding star Existential Complex

Well, that would be, me!

8. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

*cough*thatsthejoke*cough*

Kitty Box likes this.
  9. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

I don't know if digging into the planet would really do anything to raise the awareness. I mean, do you feel the bacteria digging into the pores on your face right now? Because guess what, it's happening. In order to be noticed, it would need to be something a little more dramatic, something like, oh, I don't know... EXPLOSIONS. It probably still wouldn't tick the planet off much, but it would need to at least scratch the itch. That's dangerous for you too!

And what if you decide to take a walk on this soft yet oddly wet surface OH GOD IT'S AN EYEBALL. I'm pretty sure the planet would try to get rid of you then.

And once you manage to get inside the planet, it's immune system (i.e., protective monsters) would try to kill you as long as you're there.
    And while you're inside, you can cause a whole bunch of fun stuff to happen. Mess with the acid levels in the stomach to give it acid reflux. Pour tons of water into its bowels to give it diarrhea. Build a dam to prevent food from going down the normal way to make the planet throw up (puke volcano, anyone?). Heck, you could be a one-man bacteria army!

10. LammyMus

LammyMus Space Hobo

Lol.
    Living planets!
    Avvesome :)
    Oh, that planets can have VIRUS.
    Virus kills the planet, and can kill you also.
    When you kill that virus, i think planet will "thank you" and stop attacking you.
    Then you can make your base.
    And "protective monsters" will help you defend it!

Khan and An Incognito Tuxedo like this.
  11. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

There are some major flaws in that idea. First of all a virus would be way too op and take all the challenge out of the idea and secondly the planets don't have the intelligence required to "thank" a player. The planets are very unintelligent and generally view anything that messes with them as a threat.

12. Vincey

Vincey Big Damn Hero

Well, they could make living planets sentient, like a giant overmind from starcraft which is a big brain with tentacles living on the ground. That would be quite cool as they could control their minions to attack or talk with you. Other than that, living planets are really awesome, I thought about that a long time ago and would have made the suggestion if you didn't. It would be incredible!

An Incognito Tuxedo likes this.
  13. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

I thought about the idea of a "smarter" planet and they would probably be ALOT harder than the average living planet (if you choose to mess with em, since you can't get that fat stomach loot without killing them). And in response to them being sentient, they already are. Their just sentient in the way a jellyfish is sentient.

14. Vincey

Vincey Big Damn Hero

Well, I mean, something closer to a ape's or a human's intelligence and conciousness. They should give you some loot if you decide to do quest for them too, so players could really choose between the loot of the kill or the loot of the quests.

15. Senshiro

Senshiro Void-Bound Voyager

I do like the idea of living planets, but the idea of them having intelligence to the same level as humans doesn't really sound that great. Living planets shouldn't have a good or a bad side. They should see players as a threat like most living creatures already and try to kill us.

CharleneWho likes this.
  16. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

EXACTLY! Thank you for putting that into words. I was trying to explain that but didn't really know how.

17. Senshiro

No problem. Besides, I like the idea of taking on a giant planet solo. Makes me feel like a boss :sparta:

An Incognito Tuxedo likes this.
  18. Vincey

Vincey Big Damn Hero

Meh, in any way, a living planet is just awesome. I approve.

Baconbeard likes this.
  19. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

Lets see what will you say when the giant planet with tentacles will fu... kill you :badpokerface:

20. Senshiro

If I'm going down, I'm gonna take you down with me even if you're across the galaxy.