Lets talk about mounts and some game features. W/Poll

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by Haloick, Dec 9, 2013.

?

What kind of mount would you prefer to ride?

1. A tech based mount (Mech, Hoverbike, ect..)

81.3%
  2. A living mount (Horse, Alien Mount, Bird, ect..)

18.8%
  1. Haloick

Haloick Void-Bound Voyager

90% of posts in this thread discuss spaceships, either that are owned by the player or a random one found in space/on a planet. While this expansively discussed topic is important, I don't think people are really using this thread to the fullest. I'd like to tap on some mount ideas and features that would bring a nice level of depth to the game in an area that could be very exciting, or just be a basic cog in the machine. As I see it there are two very distinct style of "mounts."

Tech based mounts: Hoverbikes, Mechs, DeLoreans, ect.. & Living Mounts: Horses, Birds, Alien creature mounts, Lion cubs, ect..

According to the main website, vehicle implementation is 40% done. Leaving plenty of time to create and add new ideas.

I'll start by laying out ideas for tech based mounts, seeing as how I know they already exist within the game.

COLOR - The art style the game uses is very easy to work with when it comes to color. As with the dye system that is in place for clothes there is no reason that something similar couldn't be done with vehicles.

ENGINEERING - Hoverbike race? Why not.... Due to the nature of this game I think it's safe to assume that you will be building any tech based mount. I don't mind doing that one bit, but why stop there? It would be great if you started out with a very basic mount. Kinda slow top out speed, heavily fuel dependent, weak weaponry, if it has to change direction(going from left to right) it takes a moment to slow down and redirect its movement. Things of that nature. There is such a great opportunity to have a place in a hanger on your ship to upgrade your tech mount Need for Speed style. Or perhaps you stumble on a Mad Max like desert planet and steal some sweet mech parts from an old broken down mech!

BELLS & WHISTLES - Does your hoverbike need saddlebags? Craft'em...... Does your sexy Mech need a pinup girl/boy? Craft the decal and slap it on. It's no different then when you go look at a new vehicle IRL. You look at all the options you can't afford to add-on because most of them are awesome, and you need a reason to hate yourself in a month when you wished you'd bought the rear view backing camera so you didn't look like a jackass when you backed into a concrete barrier in an empty parking lot. BUT I DIGRESS! Craftable add-ons are a simple and fun way to make thing unique and fun.

A few more things could be added but I think those features alone would expand the way vehicles worked and add in a new level of depth.

Now for living based mounts! I see three different style of creatures playing out here. (Alien creature mounts fit into all these groups.)

Land based creatures - Horses, Bears, Hyraxs, Newt, Cassowary, ect..

Air based creatures - Birds, More birds, ect..

Aquatic based creatures(for water worlds?) - Sharks, Whales, Seahorses, Clams, ect..

COLOR - Clearly you can't paint your Horse.....unless you're some sick and lonely male in his 20's who gets off on that kinda thing. Just make the animals be random shades of appropriate color.

BUYING OR TAMING - Are you the cowboy who needs to rein in that wild Cassowary? Or are you the rich space dermatologist that is looking to buy the prettiest bird mount this side of x:-65258654 y:78631027! Either way both options would be great. Make it a hunt like challenge to go around the universe for the mount of your style, or save up and buy a rare mount for a road worn merchant.

STATS - Like any weapon, no two animals are the same. Click on your bear mount and take a look at his speed, strength(jumping power?), cold resistance, hunger(animals have to eat too), ect..

BREEDING - I know it's a stretch. But it is a wild fun idea. Get a male and female, or A-sexual Alien thing, and bam! Gets the good speed and heat rating!?! WHA!

BELLS & WHISTLES - Same thing as above. No reason you cant craft some sweet horse armor. Go all Elder Scrolls on it.

Keep in mind these are just some ideas I pulled out of thin air. I don't know if any of these have been discussed or already stated that they wouldn't be in the game. If anyone has any thing they'd like to add feel free! Please take the time to vote on muh lil'poll as well. Stay safe and thanks for taking the time to read this.

BadShaddy likes this.
  2. GravyonTurkey

GravyonTurkey Tentacle Wrangler

Why not both?

3. Haloick

Haloick Void-Bound Voyager

I agree that both would be endgame awesome. But I just can't see it happening. I feel like the devs would just take one aspect and run hard with it.

4. GravyonTurkey

GravyonTurkey Tentacle Wrangler

I can see where you're coming from, but hey you can't go wrong with more content.
    but yeah dude, your idea rocks; that reminds me you know what they should add? Aircraft tech - but then I guess that could go in with your mount idea

5. mattmonkey24

mattmonkey24 Void-Bound Voyager

these are great ideas. at the moment i can't really think of anything i would add, other than i feel like tech-based mounts seems to fit the game more in my opinion. i do like the collecting aspect of animals being random and hard to find the right one, though this could be annoying and a hindrance.

edit: now that i think about it i would add to the list of tech mounts:
    submarine/under water, boat/above water, drilling type of vehicle