1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaky Houses

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by meirelle, Oct 25, 2014.

1. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

I say make the blocks and backgrounds go out the same distance that rain generates
    if rain generates 20 blocks off screen, then make blocks generate 20 blocks as well

rhomboid likes this.
  2. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

I have a solution-ish. Water is coded to fill up the floor, if you have "holes" in your floor, the water will fall down through the floor. To prevent the water from pooling at the very bottom of your house, make a cavern below your house to where the water will pool. I also find wooden stairs when used as a floor "destroys" water if small amounts touch it. It won't destory enough water if it gets flooded though.

3. Fresh Ears

Fresh Ears Big Damn Hero

I have read so much about this "off screen" rain coming indoors, and I have even personally experienced that problem; but when I checked super-hard, I always found a missing background block that was the culprit. I usually only build on stormy planets (with the huge raindrops) and when all background blocks are connected, there is never a problem for me. I would go through and just triple check to make sure all of your background blocks are connected with no exceptions (when in doubt, err on the side of too much background blocks lol).

4. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

It's not always inside the house that's a problem. My issue was that I was trying to make a village, of sorts, and none of my light sources would stay placed. I couldn't make a roof high enough to not-look stupid that was also functional. It's still a bug, and it should be fixed.

5. Fresh Ears

Fresh Ears Big Damn Hero

That's so weird because I've definitely noticed what you're talking about. I just got done building up instead of out, making a huge tree-base thing for my floran, and I was getting rain on my bottom floors even though I had a roof. But I went up there and checked around and sure enough there was a few blocks missing from my background. I have never experienced a persistent problem when building on stormy planets. But if you're talking about "outside" light sources getting knocked out by rain, I would suggest enclosing them (just the light sources, you don't have to build a huge roof over the entire "outdoors" sections). Maybe i just don't understand the problem well enough, so if that's the case, my apologies haha. I just wanna help because i know how frustrating it is and if there is a bug, I want to make sure it is well known enough to be fixed by the 1.0.

6. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

It was right when I first began playing, so I had fewer resources and experiences. I haven't tried to build a base since then, but I'd like to get back into it. I'm waiting for the stable to really make any effort; I just hope that this is one of the bugs that's addressed. Half-fixes are amazingly creative, but it would be unprofessional to leave it just because you can get around it by doing this or that.

7. TheEverlastingBoss

TheEverlastingBoss Void-Bound Voyager

well build multiple floors and the last of which would have an airlock and drains.

8. Albussystems

Albussystems Pangalactic Porcupine

I had that at first too, but as soon as i controlled "everything" with background + foreground!

As soon as i closed "every" hole behind the foregroundblocks it stopped.
    In the current stable. The "bug" where water sometimes hovers in the air, well who cares if it doesn't destroy anything and it's fixed after restart or if you teleport away?!^^

9. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Powdery snow blocks would be perfect for this.

10. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I dunno. I get the bug in the farms I make, and they stay there, likely due to the background. As fun as they are, the probably should be fixed.

11. Albussystems

Albussystems Pangalactic Porcupine

As i remember, i made every wall and ceiling, well everything next to nature^^, at least 3 or more blocks wide. Looks better anyhow :D