1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Lantern Stick Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Beathrus, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Beathrus

Beathrus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, just a real quick question, the title says it all.

Is there, or will there be a Lantern Stick upgrade? I mean, I use it, a lot. And I really want it to emit more light, I'm playing in Unstable, so if anyone has info, I'd love to hear it.

I mean, don't we get upgraded lights? Each new material? So why not, have a few liquids, better than Oil that will make the lantern stick steadily better? I mean, I love the current look of it, so if it could just be brighter, with maybe the lantern part recolored to match the new material, I'd love it!

Shoot, this sorta turned into a suggestion. o.o

Sorry, Sorry! Still, anyone have any tips other than yellow stim pack and the Tech for light rig?

2. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

One lighting tactic I use is firing a low energy gun that shoots the sticky electricity orbs, they can light up the area.

Marxon and Beathrus like this.
  3. Beathrus

Ooooh, I was doing that for a while, with a gun that shoots puff of fire. x.x But I got tired of repeatedly doing it.

4. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

In the most recent blog post, there's an apex holding a lantern like a normal person would rather than on his back. Perhaps they're adding different types (or perhaps that's just an artist rendition)

Khuur likes this.
  5. Khuur

Khuur Pangalactic Porcupine

That kind of thing is something I always wanted to see being able to do one-handed with torches and lanterns and candles and stuff.

Or being able to use light posts as two handed weapons. Jax anyone?

The on your back thing was pretty stylish though. It just starts to look out of place as soon as you start getting remotely techy.

Bughunter and Jbeetle like this.
  6. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

You can actually craft that lantern. Needs oil and iron to make last time I saw it. It's been in the game for a while.

7. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

But can you hold it out in front of you?

8. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

yup

9. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Well damn. I thought this whole time you could only craft the iron lantern (which is just placeable). Thank for the info!

Zebe likes this.
  10. Beathrus

If we could get a nice, bright lantern to hold in our hand (Replaces Flashlight?) that would be great, I wouldn't mind that.

11. Clayton-D

Clayton-D Aquatic Astronaut

A tech-y back item that produces light would be amazing.

Fresh Ears likes this.
  12. RavenX

RavenX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hyper advanced faster than light travel achieved. Best hands free light source while exploring underground? A lamp, on a chain, on a stick you tie to your back. Makes sense...LoL.

Seriously though no, they really need to add more and different kinds of those. Shoulder mounted flashlights happen even with today's modern tac vests.

renbear and TsukiOkami like this.
  13. Khuur

Khuur Pangalactic Porcupine

How about a body tech that produces a lot of light (even allowing you to search out nearby ores) but burns through your energy supply, allowing maybe 5 second bursts at most.

14. Beathrus

We sorta have that, with the tech in unstable called 'Light Rig' You point in a direction, turn it on and it stops your energy regen.

But I want something like, The back Lantern, just bigger area of affect. I mean, we can use oil for normal lantern, why not other liquid fuels for a better light source? I mean the purple stuff glows pretty bright, imagine it concentrated!

Uzkniso, Fresh Ears and Khuur like this.
  15. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

Owl_Stalker likes this.
  16. Beathrus

Bughunter likes this.
  17. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

It would also be good to have the appearance change as you get different ores. For example, an impervium one would look really cool and high-tech, pluse give off the most light.

Bughunter and Khuur like this.
  18. Casia

Casia Subatomic Cosmonaut

oooohhhhhh you just gave me a great idea. Particularly for seeing ore. forget sounders, or reveal potions.

Visors. Xray, infrared, blacklight, night vision, etc. Think metroid prime.

Heck, while we are at it. add codex entries to the N inspect. inspecting big ape poster gives us a big ape codex, usmc sign a usmc codex, etc.

The Squid likes this.
  19. MrHat

MrHat Void-Bound Voyager

I remember this mod which was an all-in-one Life Support and Light. Given how Starbound has changed, I doubt that mod is still around.

20. Beathrus

Hm... I've hit the high tier of tech, and found out I can make these orbs? That give off light, I wonder if they work like torches, or like a lantern you hold!