Race The Lacerti

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by [pixelmonster], Oct 19, 2013.

?

Add the lacertis to the game post-release

Poll closed Sep 6, 2015.
  1. Definitely

20.0%
  2. Maybe, with some changes...

40.0%
  3. Good idea needs work before being added to the game

25.0%
  4. No way!

15.0%
  1. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

REPORT: Species | The Lacerti (From the human language 'latin')
    AUTHOR: Expeditionbot 0235

PLANETARY BIOME(S): Desert Or Arctic
    SECTOR: Delta/Phi
    SYSTEM: Delta 04/Phi VII
    HOSTILITY: Level 0 (Ultra-Passive)
    TECHNOLOGY: Level 1 (PostTribal)
    ANATOMY: Similar to earth's lizard species

--------------------------------

The discovery of this new species was made by a brilliant team of Glitch explorers. The team of expeditionbots were monitoring the Delta 04/Phi VII solar system. The leader was just about to order his crew to move on to the next system, when a Science Officer on the bridge pointed out strange readings on one of the planets below. After checking for life signs it was discovered that the disturbance was a small 'herd' of PopTops. However the search also showed a new form of potentially sentient life on a nearby desert planet. This planet was much to hostile for any of the known biological races to survive on, however the Glitch did not need to worry about extreme sunburns or heatstroke, so the crew set out to see what these life forms were.

In order to survive the most hostile of environments the Lacerti have developed a 'family' society where everyone works together. Households are large and communities cooperate together sharing resources and chores. This cooperative society makes any form of currency redundant. The Lacerti have therefore amassed a large amount of currency from various minor civilizations as well as incredible amounts of gold which they use for building rather than trade.
    Their cooperative lifestyle and family communities make them very welcoming to new-comers. They have learned moderate amounts of the humans Ancient English from their early encounters with 'Star-People' (Novakid) allowing for simple communications with most races.

The Lacerti are highly limited in their technology due to their barren planet. Without any resources available the Lacerti have very little 'original' technology. However they have a few spaceships as well as various other more modern tech. The Lacerti have informed us that these items were accidentally left behind by various groups of 'stellar' explorers. This was originally thought to have meant that a highly trained team of explorers had already come across this species, and had left a gift for the species. However later examining of the tech (particularly the starcraft) it was discovered that the technology was million year old Novakid technology, thus explaining the species 'undiscovered' status. With this new technology the Lacerti have managed to move a few colonies to other planets within their solar system. However all 27 planets are barren deserts or arctic wastelands, leaving the Lacerti with very little technological advancements.

Both the architecture and clothing of the Lacerti closely resembles the culture of the ancient earth culture known as 'medieval arabian'. However the houses are often made of very different materials, one of the well known ancient rulers made a palace of solid gold, whereas many of the huts used by the lower class, are made of hardened sand or clay and rarely sandstone. The Lacerti dress is marked by light garments designed to minimize the temperature. Richer members of society have the luxury of clothing died with the rare dyes of the Lacerti home world.

Very little is known of the Lacerti history other than the coming and going of Novakid explorers. However it is said that early tribes often kept records of the history of their species believing that one day other beings would come to learn of their great race. Then the Novakid came and explained to the race that records and history books were not at all needed and even helped destroy the thousand year old records, thus further crippling the technological/historical knowledge/advancement of the Lacertiā€¦

The planets the Lacerti live on are often deserted and dangerous for most biological species to live on. However some of the arctic planets have some form of furry PopTops that are indigenous to this system. The planets colonized by the Lacerti are very large and have a extremely strong force of gravity. This has allowed large amounts of gold to be found on the planets. Each planet is warmed by 3 suns. Other than that very little exists on these planets and it is still unknown how the Lacerti survived on so little.

The Lacertis closely resemble ancient Earth's iguana species. They are semi-large humanoid lizards. Each Lacertis has a frill of some sort that helps differentiate between different persons as well as differences in colouring often inherited from their parents. They are very strong and one of the few biological races able to withstand the tremendous forces of gravity as well as the heat/cold of their barren planets. It is suspected that they would be able to jump extremely high into the air on smaller planets such as the human planet Earth.

The Lacerti armour seems to have been designed to regulate temperature, allowing the wearer to move easilly in any climate.

The following events are not known to be factual or mythical being that they have no historical records of the events in question...
    Natural Disasters: Common wind/sand storms. Some have been said to wipe out an entire tribe.
    Sentient Life: A group of star people came to their planet many years ago. Presumably the Novakid.
    Solar Happenings: It is said that thousands of years ago their planet was heated by 4 different suns. One of them 'exploded' destroying several nearby planets. (Verified by the Glitch science academy)
    Resource Discoveries: In a Palace devoted to their ruler, there exists an interesting cyan/magenta gem said to have been found by a Lacerti miner.
    Encounters With Other Species: After encountering the Glitch expedition team, a group of Roo explorers decided to come welcome the Lacerti to the universe. The Glitch gave them some of the armour the Lacerti had previously given them, and the Roo set out to meet the new species.
    The Psyliphs have brought to our attention that early on in the history of the Lacerti, they had been discovered by the Psyliph, like they did with the Human race the Psyliph silently monitered the Lacerti and didnt attempt to make contact untill the Glitch, Novakid and Roo already had...

Drawn by some of the best artists onboard the Glitch starship
    Lizard M01.png Lizard F01.png Lizard M02.png Lizard F02.png
    Lizard M03.png Lizard F03.png
    Lizard M04.png Lizard F04.png

So with that in mind, what does the Glitch community think? Should this race be added to the archives of sentient races of the universe?

So with that in mind, what does the Starbound Community think? Should this race be added to the game post-release?

I am open to suggestions (positive criticism please) on how to make this race stand out from all the others! I would especially like help with the things written in
    blue. That said if you have an idea for something not written in blue, don't hold back! :D

Thank you for taking the time to read my post :D

Idea:
    [pixelmonster]
    aroxyroller
    Jonesy (Ideas of ideas!)
    and some other friends outside of the forums (if they set up an account I will add their usernames)
    --------
    Huge thanks to Jonesy for letting me use his race suggestion the Roo
    Find out more here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/meet-the-roos.27321/
    Huge thanks to Symphony for letting me use his race suggestion the Psyliphs
    Find out more here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/meet-the-psyliphs.30195/

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Jonesy likes this.
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. [pixelmonster]

Would love for someone with more skills to art for me... :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  4. Trowzers

Trowzers Existential Complex

I think it might be that there have been many suggestions for reptile/lizard/dragon races before - some which have had more details.

To be a really good suggestion, I think the race needs something that really differentiates it from the existing races. The glitch are already less technologically advanced (feudal era). I like the idea of an arabian culture - I haven't seen many suggestions about that. Maybe you could expand on that to make them truly unique?

5. [pixelmonster]

Yeah, I didnt really realize there were so many lizard races already, the biggest thing I would like to see added is +7 races, specifically somewhere around 15. However I am not the best at coming up with ideas, therefore I leave this mostly to the community... If you guys have any suggestions on how I we could make it better or more original...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  6. Model QT-377665

Model QT-377665 Ketchup Robot

Hmm...I don't know, I kind of like the Zaahir and Skarapions for the Arabian culture more.

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Probably expand on the different aspects of the race. As usual, I recommend biology / appearance, history, society / culture, technology and relations with other races. Maybe reconsider the Arabian theme, in case you can think of something more original. Other than that, it's still a decent enough idea.

Model QT-377665 likes this.
  8. [pixelmonster]

I agree it needs more, thats why (and maybe I haven't made this too clear) I am leaving this to the community. The idea how it is now is +3 months of planning and designing, and I am out of ideas, so to the awesome starbound community:
    INSTEAD of giving input on what types of things the race needs (social, tech, appearance...)
    GIVE specific ideas for the race (their culture should be like "______"... ). TOGETHER we will make this race AWESOME.

I am LITERALLY giving the idea to the community... here you go.

9. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Challenge accepted. I don't know how far this will go, but I'll add any ideas I have.

10. [pixelmonster]

I have completely remodelled the bio... please check it out! :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013