1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Kawa's xbawks-mode character creator 3.8.1

T̶w̶e̶n̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶i̶x̵ thirty-six oughta be enough for now.

1. tduckwo

tduckwo Space Hobo

Hi there! Thank you for creating this mod.

Do we have any details on this fix posted above?

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Considering I just woke up and learned of the image cache fix... I don't.

Mine's 974 KB btw.

Update: I swapped in ODB2's extender (because it was cut off for me) and it still was. Removed the image.cache file, restarted, and it was no longer cut off. And when I quit again, I had a new cache.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  3. Qwaar

Qwaar Void-Bound Voyager

So the game can gen a new image.cache, great, I wasn't sure so thats why I used the swap method. Now, can we find the part of the cache that causes the problem in an effort to find out WHY it happens?

4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Okay. Here's what I got.

In the massive single-line JSON file that is image.cache, each entry is like this: [ relative file name, [ width, height ] ]. That means there's an entry ["/interface/title/charactercreation.png",[360,235]]. That matches the actual size of the image, so it works.

For testing, I have halved the width reported in the cache file. As expected, the right half of the character creator is now cut off. I restore it to 360, and the character creator is fine.

This leads me to think that this is our cause: the first time you run Starbound, there is no cache. It'll be saved, containing the width of the character creator at that time. If you run it without first installing an extender, it'll thus remember "236". Then you install an extender, whose width does not match that size -- 360 is way higher a value than 236, obviously -- but it still remembers "236" so that's what it uses. Unless you hand-amend the cache file, or just delete it because that's easier and also fixes this memory-truth disparity.

It's like having a little cousin that's still growing up. You remember the little shit to be about yay big, and his birthday's coming up so you get him some nice pants or whatever. You buy these pants thinking he's yay big. During his birthday, you find out that the pants no longer fit!

Because the character creation window has doubled in size when you weren't looking.

So really there is no "bug" in a strict sense at play here. Question is, what's image.cache for anyway? A speed-up method?

SkyWolve likes this.
  5. Surexit

Surexit Space Hobo

The Creation is not complete, i dont the the creation. Only the pics of the characters.

Whats wrong?

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

What's wrong is that I don't understand what you're trying to say.

7. Qwaar

Qwaar Void-Bound Voyager

Hes not seeing the complete character creation menu and only can observe the portion showing the race thumbnails. AKA cutoff menu, he needs a new image.cache

Or he can't find out that to create a character he needs to click the 'empty' character slots.

Kawa likes this.
  8. dsmaster7173

dsmaster7173 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

heres an image [​IMG]

9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Shut down Starbound, remove image.cache, restart, see if it still happens. More info no more than five posts up.

10. Battleshrimp

Battleshrimp Void-Bound Voyager

Hey i don't know whats wrong.. honestly i most likely messed up, but when i hit create new character i see all the races and every thing but half of my character selection menu is gone.

11. Qwaar

Qwaar Void-Bound Voyager

Kawa, I hate to say it, but you may have to put that image.cache info on your front page, people cant read even half a page of the discussion.

Some giant red message saying to only complain in discussion after deleting their image.cache

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

And the three or four other extenders?

13. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Ketchup Robot

okay got this issue here. I've deleted the image cache multiple times and yet it's the same issue.

Attached Files:

14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Make sure the extender is correctly installed. Because that's my window image with the original window configuration file.

15. Requiemfang

I believe it is installed correctly cause I know it's suppose to look like C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\mods\xbawks with the mod file and folders in the xbawks folder.
    two files in there are

interface folder and mod info file.

16. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

It is not installed correctly, because that's not my interface config fi-- wait...
    Interface folder and mod info file... interface folder with what exactly? You have the two PNG files in interface\title, but do you have interface\windowconfig\charcreation.config? Because that screenshot tells me you don't.

17. Requiemfang

Yup... you are right the folder is missing the config file... I must have had a bad download.

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Woo, loss of ratings for something I can't be held responsible for! Today's gona be epic, I just know it! :DD

19. Requiemfang

seriously people down voting a mod because of an issue caused by the vanilla game or user error. 90% of the time the issues being caused is human error and not the mod or game itself :yeahhhh:

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm seriously considering the recording of a short YT video that's just me sitting there in silence for a few seconds, and then I roar "RRREEEAAAD!" all of a sudden. A bit like this one, but more rage-y.

That's me in the video btw. Hi~