1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Kawa's Felin Species (v3.3.3)

Discussion in 'Races' started by Kawa, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Otter Lad

Otter Lad Space Spelunker

Kawa, I love you for making this. Supr srs. Like, putting all the effort into making something so totes über sugoi. Takes a lot of initiative. Lotta effort. Seriously, Felidae fans won't feign as fictitious the fact that this Felin mod is frickin' fantastic, and furthermore forwarding such fine fun that this Felin mod fashions for us will find it a fitting future. Fortunately, I figure the forums provide fast and friendly feedback to help find any flaws.

That said, I imagine you're very busy developing a lot of stuff for this, and you might go back to improve this kinda stuff later, but I'm wondering if you plan on further developing a history and setting for the race. I'm pretty knowledgeable in science, so I actually have some suggestions about their planet, its structure, ecosystem, composition, etc that may specifically go along the general lines of their culture and history.

Anyway, I got some stuff to do, but once more, I really love what you're doing here! Thanks!

Kawa likes this.
  2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I would've answered sooner if I weren't asleep then. I can only hope your attention hasn't slipped away by now, or I can find someone else. But anyway, there's like three levels here: verbal idea -> sketch -> pixel art. Verbal ideas are turned into sketches, in turn into pixel art, and the sketch step is even highly optional. Any level can do, and I'd be happy to do the sprite part.
    FFFFfffffffuuu--
    Open a private conversation if you want to pass those suggestions on, please.

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

[​IMG]

Bang.

TheNameless likes this.
  4. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

You fool! Everyone knows that Cats wont be able to get back DOWN the tree!

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

The guard in the rooftop guardhouse had no issues when a bird aggro'd her. :)

6. The Enlightened Grue

I hope you've taken note of the Broken and Uncatlike behavior.
    Without an additional race of Firemen or well-meaning Super-Heroes, those cats shouldn't be able to do that!

7. DXLelouch

DXLelouch Void-Bound Voyager

Catgirls break all rules of logic
    its a well known fact

The Enlightened Grue likes this.
  8. The Enlightened Grue

Good point!
    But there are Cat-Boys there too! we need someone well-versed in the Dungeon-Masters archive of rule-books!

9. SpaceKGreen

SpaceKGreen Existential Complex

Tree house looks good, although I'd suggest adjusting the stairs right below the top floor a bit.

Also, looking at the tree, and the ones in Floran villages, makes me realize that Starbound needs a second "natural wood" block for the inside of the trunks.

Kawa likes this.
  10. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Happy monkey everyone~

Work on Felin NPCs is going nicely, I believe. All six vanilla species now have eight villager responses to Felin players, sixteen for Felin NPCs. I'm working on guard responses now.

"No leafing around, friend." -- Felin guard to Floran player

11. merryjest

merryjest Aquatic Astronaut

I can't wait to see the next update, I love this species :)

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Judging from your avatar... who would've thunk it?

merryjest likes this.
  13. Zeronoz

Zeronoz Space Spelunker

Hello! I`m not sure if this is the right place but correct me if Im wrong.

About your mod, I can select the race via the Character Creation screen but after I clicked OK (or something similar =D) the game froze of a few seconds and an error occurred; thankfully the game didnt crash but it says something about a client server connection. Help?

14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That. Fucking. Error.

*sigh*

Make sure you have no outdated or broken mods installed. Some, like Ningen for example, aren't as compatible with Angry Koala as they claim and overwrite things like quest data, instead of using __merge to add to them. When that happens, the game'll try to look up the starting quest for whatever species you play and find only the original six, the Ningen, and whatever unbroken species happened to load after.

Not that I have anything against Ningen, I just needed a practical example of why this may happen and this is the first one I know of that came to mind.

And if that still doesn't work, check starbound.log.

15. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Now here's something interesting: after crunching all the PNG files (except for the work-in-progress weapons), removing all the extraenous transparant colors, I got a 192 KB RAR file. The copy currently online is 205 KB, and doesn't include village maps.

16. Leokid729

Leokid729 Big Damn Hero

How do you install it I dont know how it keep says [client-sever connection no longer valid]

Attached Files:

17. Leokid729

Leokid729 Big Damn Hero

Can Anyone help me?

18. YanniFirewind

YanniFirewind Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Did you try booting it in opengl for the client-server issue? It helped me.

19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I am seriously considering to ask staff to put "If it doesn't work, read starbound.log first" in the announcement panel on top of the page. The same stuff keeps returning because nobody bothers to read earlier posts! "Client-server connection no longer valid" is literally on the same page, right at the bottom before it was repeated!

Patience can run out, so you'll excuse me for blowing up.

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

You'll like to know that I'm tripping up my copy of Starbound on purpose to catalogue all sorts of species mod related errors. I've documented three different causes of the client-server connection error, and they all have almost the same cause.

This next part should go in a FAQ somewhere, it's kinda important to noobs and authors alike.
    If your game hangs and gives you a "client-server connection no longer valid" error, exit the game and open starbound.log. There are three causes known to me at this time that can cause this error, and they're all alike.
    In each case, the basic cause is similar, and the fix almost identical.
    • If the log file contains, near the end, "UniverseServer exception caught: VariantException: No such key in Variant::get("species you tried to load")", the problem is the ship structure list in universe_server.config.
    • If it contains "UniverseServer exception caught: AssetException: Could not read variant value /quests/quests.config:initialquests.species caused by", the problem is (as indicated) in quests/quests.config.
    • If it contains "UniverseServer exception caught: AssetException: Could not read variant value /codex/codex.config:initialcodex.species caused by", it's codex/codex.config.
    What you should do now is go through your species mods' copies of the problematic file you just determined and see which one is not using __merge. When you find one, adapt it to use __merge and continue. Look below for an example if you need one.
    If you are not the author of the broken mod, and the author has not already been informed that their mod is broken, inform them. Be thorough when checking if they've been informed -- you don't want to be annoying.

Correct copy of universe_server.config:
    Code:
    {
      "__merge" : [],
      "speciesShips" : {
        "arsehat" : "/ships/arsehat/dropship.structure"
      }
    }
    Incorrect copy:
    Code:
    {
      "mainWakeupInterval" : 100,