1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Just wanted to drop in and voice some thoughts

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bombzero, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bombzero

Bombzero Giant Laser Beams

Been a while since I was around but I'd figure I'd voice some of my own opinions on the game considering the... interesting nature of some of the commenters on Youtube and the abysmal steam forums.

First off, devs, great work guys, looks awesome, keep it up. Y'all are actually moving along at a pretty solid pace all things considered when you think about how much you guys have torn out and rebuilt. Ignore the whiners and the rabid haters, most of them have either elected to completely ignore much of what you have stated* (e.g. about how the nightly builds aren't even truly representative of the current game state, more interim tech demos) or simply recognize that and, as seems to be the trend on the internet, want to throw a hissy fit over anything physically possible for them to do so.

*Not kidding, one of the more common things I've heard is basically "They censored the roadmap and are going to cut all the features I mean look at this these features aren't in the game RIGHT NOW there's no way they'd ever be added!"

As for the game itself, rather liking how it's looking so far. I was honestly wary about the initial 1-10 sector system and... honestly much prefer the idea of a relatively dynamic progression that's focused on overcoming environmental hazards. Too many games nowadays just feature extremely visible linear 'tiers' with VERY sharp cutoffs between them and it tends to detract from gameplay imo. (Also, 360 degree aiming in melee, why wasn't this a thing from the start. =p )

Just wanted to make a little thread to just personally tell you guys to keep it up, trust me, I've watched many games being developed, the 'hate circlejerk' so to speak always happens even if you literally kept 100% on the exact initially scheduled prediction and included every single feature in the form exactly described in the kickstarter and never deviated from anything and never added anything extra, people would find something incredibly minor to throw a hissy fit over, so just, make the game YOU guys want to make, that's what we (well, at least I, clearly not speaking for some people) chose to support.

Hadies237, Taxle, Cirom and 12 others like this.
  2. Hounskull

Hounskull Void-Bound Voyager

I agree completely, I think the work done on this game so far is amazing, and what's planned for the future looks even better. I've loved this game right from the start and I'm so thrilled to see such steady progress and improvement. All the hate that I'm seeing at the moment really saddens me, but it can't last forever.

Devs, thank you and keep it up <3

3. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Haters should be spelled "hayters". This helps delineate the real world bigots and actual "haters" from people taking about a video game. I think the correct usage would be "hayters" to reflect the hyperbole of both sides.

At least that is what I think.

4. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Plus we could feed them to ponies during the cold winter months.

Hadies237 and Heartstrings like this.
  5. SteamCloud

SteamCloud Void-Bound Voyager

BEGONE ♥♥♥♥♥♥s!

6. Bombzero

Bombzero Giant Laser Beams

heh, in this case I kinda feel like it becomes 'cool' to hate something once enough people do it, and actual rational reasoning behind disliking it goes out the window in favor of spewing the same claims you heard from somebody else. e.g. the one with the roadmap being 'deleted' despite still being accessible at the exact same original link. Or the claims of 'censorship' because the exact kind of people I mentioned were throwing massive hissy fits on the steam forums with nothing to back up their claims and just basically slandering.

I mean, "I don't like this game" is fine, don't even really need a reason. "I HATE THIS GAME ENTIRELY THE DEVS ARE HORRIBLE PEOPLE BECAUSE IT'S NOT DONE RIGHT NOW" is just immature.

SteamCloud likes this.
  7. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Oh well you are wrong about steam forums and I can tell you that things are much different there now.

They appointed a new mod who has converted the main hayters back into lapsed fanboys. With her pr blitz she's single handedly undone several months of chucklefish's disdainful attention to the steam forum base.

Clever move and she should be congratulated for succeeding where Finn and shoe failed.

Hail the diplomat @Izzabelle

Posting that update trailer most certainly helped too. As such everyone there is looking forward to playing the new build, even if it doesn't have the keybind GUI they honeytrapped me with.

I'll probably still have to repost the blogs there for my worthless internet cred points, but I can live with that.

Pingeh likes this.
  8. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

What about those crazy soccer fans that get into real fights for their team? Do those count as "haters?"

9. I don't believe I've done that much yet

Hadies237 and Starbug like this.
  10. Oceanity

Oceanity Void-Bound Voyager

And make Avian beds out of them the other nine :mwahaha:

11. Mwvo

Mwvo Void-Bound Voyager

I agree with everything, even if it takes a bit to get done, I won't care if the game is that perfect.

[also,are you tfm bombzero?]

Hadies237 likes this.
  12. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Soft and squishy.

Plus, eggs for breakfast, so that's a bonus.

Oceanity likes this.
  13. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

do people still take the steam fourms seriously anymore
    this video basicly describes my encounter with the fourms personaly

14. A lot of people don't take the Steam forums seriously anymore. And more people even consider it a separate community. I am hoping to gradually change that, but it's going to take a lot of work.

15. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

[smokes joint] I hear ya… man… That's real deep, man…

(it is, in all seriousness)

16. QuadX

QuadX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Change it by locking posts and banning everyone?

17. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Modesty, intelligence and a sharp attention to the specific job at hand. You won a massive WIN already.

18. no7H

no7H Void-Bound Voyager

The dangerous part about changing a community is the bias of the one changing it. If the steam community is full of hate, banning all the hate means banning the community itself.
    To fix the symptoms of Starbounds "broken promises" (aka "hate") you have to fix those "broken promises" (or the perception thereof), not the symptoms themselves (by tendentially biased moderation). It's a fine line between enforcing rules to keep conversations civil and practicing censorship.

Heartstrings, Starbug and Pingeh like this.
  19. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

If they cant keep the threads civil they should be locked, if a person is hostile towards others he should be banned. Its not like its hard too give critique without being a hostile uncivil jerk, if someone chooses to act that way then that person only have him/her self to blame for said locking of threads or bans.

(In my humble opinion)

20. pretty much this. bans and locks will happen as necessary. But it's not the goal.

Edit: Also, @QuadX : good on you for thinking better of the Nazi comment and deleting it, but next time you may want to reel in the condescension from your revised post too. It's unseemly and I'd like to think you're better than that.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.