Modding Help Join the team for Profession Bound

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Armed Mosquito, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Armed Mosquito

Armed Mosquito Existential Complex

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Profession Bound aims to make crafting a whole new gameplay experience for solo and multiplayer. By creating race specific profession tables as we call them we can achieve a new system for players to work together to craft new exciting things. Not only race specific tables, but even mounts for each race can be crafted, plus if you are the solo type of player you may want to focus on getting a lot of "Pro Bound Tokens" to cash in for a another race's profession table. Plus to help keep you busy via single player and multiplayer this mod contains recipes and items, to unlock also with "Pro Bound Tokens"! There are many new features this will add to Starbound vanilla and new unique features from many other mods. The goal is to make a well balanced tier system for crafting nothing should be overpowered from another table. Search for new plants, herbs, ores, fossils, and just so much more!

more Information @ http://professionbound.com or http://professionbound.net

[​IMG]
    ~ mine salt, tin, pyrite, gems, rare, and even legendary ores..
    ~ smelt bronze, pyrite, and other rare even legendary bars!
    ~ each race starts with a profession table and soon the novakid, creating a new gameplay experience solo and with friends!
    ~ new plants such as vines, and soon trees all with their own unique drops for other creations with the profession tables!
    ~ new weather, not just for looks or destruction.. This new weather will produce a rare star ore
    ~ hunting hostile guard npcs, and monsters flying & ground awards new random loot tables, killing innocent npcs awards basically nothing!
    ~ learn more recipes as you unlock tiers, also learn recipes and other stuff via "ProBound Tokens" through the "ProBound Station"
    ~ learn another profession table tiers, for example, you can unlock the engineering station even as a human at the "ProBound Station".
    ~ each profession table unlocks a mount for crafting at tier 4, each month is intended to be well balanced between each other..
    ~ craft yourself companions, or perhaps craft one for your friend!
    ~ we are working on adding a fishing pole, but even at this time fish drop loot mainly raw fish! But these fish can be made into oils and great foods!
    ~ herbs, mushrooms, roots, and other new farmables! Some plant's cannot be grown by farmers even and must be found by hunting for them!
    ~ we didn't forget to add new chest loot that also has meaning, hunt chest for the legendary ingredient "Blood of Heroes" and more..
    ~ new recipes for many of the vanilla Starbound tables..
    ~ a few new quests to help you learn the basics for your race's profession table..
    ~ new tools for many of the professions..
    ~ plus much, more now and planned!
    ~ more coming in the update named, General Ingredients & Recipes, Tier 1

[​IMG]
    How does the team project workflow go?
    [​IMG]
    It's pretty straight forward, we use trello to post live changes and task list plus other stuff @ https://trello.com/c/1PxhxBSc/38-team-members-joining-process
    [​IMG]
    What type of skills do you require to join or apply?
    [​IMG]
    You must have a knowledge of basics to modding nothing advanced, unless if you are a pixel artist you don't need to know anything other then how to create a sprite sheet for Starbound. Have a understanding on how the file works, or just be a great artist and we will help guide you on the formats.
    [​IMG]
    What are you currently recruiting for the team? What skill sets?
    [​IMG]
    We currently need more recipe creators, and pixel artist. A quest writer would be very great as well! Please make sure you understand files related to your skill set. Below is the list of what is currently needed red means we are full. Yellow is questionable. Green is needed as soon as possible.
    • Pixel Artist
    • Language Translator (fluid in writing that language - no computer translators)
    • Developer (full) looking for .lua devs only
    • Webmaster (html, light css)
    [​IMG]
    How do I apply?
    [​IMG]
    Simply private message me or reply here posting some of your work related to the spot you wish to fill.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    flyinpancake likes this.
  2. Sounds promising. Hope you guys get a team together.

Morsus98 and Armed Mosquito like this.
  3. Armed Mosquito

thanks severed I appreciate the support :D

4. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

Sounds awesome! I can't make any commitments because I have my own mods/school/work, but I'd love to know what you need and I can work on it if/when I get time. I am primarily a pixel artist, but I can do some coding and am working on improving that. Here's some pixel work that I did for the guy who does the "Bees" mod:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't have much else that can be shown at the moment (it's WIP stuff) but just let me know if you have extra projects kicking around.

Armed Mosquito likes this.
  5. ne3zy

ne3zy Zero Gravity Genie

wow great idea, I generally don't use mods but this one made me doubt ^^. What's the recipe creator job ? more precisely ? I might be able to help with that :)

6. flyinpancake

flyinpancake Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm not 100% sure on what Mosquito would say but any help making the recipes more fluid (easier to advance through) and balanced would be most helpful. I'll be working on making some quests to start us off- might take the Quest Writer position itself. But the recipes and the quests really go hand in hand, since making an item might be part of the quest, it should be lots fun to make that item.
    Vanilla example of a questionable recipe and quest(less) combo: Build the robot.

Although it isn't in the quests explicitly it is the goal of that part of the game to advance further- thus a quest in its own right.
    The recipe has a subtle part to it too- the non-stupid brain. Getting one alone is a quest.
    Then the steel that it takes to really put the parts together- and the pixels.
    It could easily be marked as the slowest but possibly most driven part of the existing beta.
    I've gotten mixed reviews when asking about the robot quest and how people feel about it.
    When I mention making the other boss quests similar I get a solid 'NO' but I think it might be a good idea still.

Anyway, that's my tangent- I'll get some quest / recipe examples in here to speak for me.

SleepySquidd and Armed Mosquito like this.
  7. Armed Mosquito

@Peelz
    I love that work you showed above just seeing that tells me a lot thanks so much I would love to, I will be creating a team environment work space, I will not be asking for full time commitment for or so what would happen is you log in to this area from their you will find task and you can choose what to complete and when you do you will be able to mark it off. So basically when you want to contribute you have the freedom to choose how much you do at once, and even when. I will likely make pixel art that isn't great basically a placeholder and it can always get attention when needed. I will send you a private message of the information sometime tonight or possibly earlier, at this time I am going to make the mod a lot more compatible, then I will release it has a hot-fix update. Then I can get moving on making the work space for the new team :) Thanks a bunch for wanting to help contribute to the mod, fyi credentials will be in the info file and on the download page with link backs.

@ne3zy
    Thanks a bunch I appreciate the comment. Hopefully this helps describe some what of what I mean, I assume you have no issue understanding all the recipe code already, as far as what flyingpancake mentioned about recipes he nailed it. Their will be much balance between recipes of the same tier level especially. The recipe creator job would mean you would be capable of creating well balanced fair recipes. Keeping in mind the first one anyone does will not be easy to balance it will take a few setup correct to start making a balance and it would be upto you to handle that. Of course their would also be task for recipe creations as well and fixing task and just adjustments even. And this would mean using the mod, understanding it overall such as quest even. As well as having a good understanding to Starbound the game itself because with that knowledge creating a balance for it all becomes much simpler.

By any chance do you happen to have any examples you could show me of something you have done? Or possibly could we talk more via Steam or Skype? My Steam id is, armedmosquito and my Skype id is, armedmosquito

8. GigaWolf135

GigaWolf135 Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds like an awesome mod you've got going for you! :p I would love to help, sadly I have no experience with making mods for Starbound :( Only Minecraft, which is pretty basic :3

flyinpancake likes this.
  9. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

I'd love to help out with recipe creating, maybe even pitch in a bit on quest writing. I don't have much to show for recipes (currently working on adding necessary items to my mod), but I'd still be willing to help in my spare time while I wait for my pixel artist to create some new items.

Armed Mosquito and flyinpancake like this.
  10. flyinpancake

flyinpancake Pangalactic Porcupine

If you would like to get started there is lots of good starting points here on the forums!
    Kinda meta but... :
    Here is a link to a bunch of good links: http://forum.boundstar.com/topic/14/ignify-gives-you-the-goods#53

We would love the help!
    Even quest ideas are welcome-- writing would be stellar!

GigaWolf135 and Armed Mosquito like this.
  11. Armed Mosquito

@GigaWolf135 Thanks for the kind words :) We need thorough testers sooner then later ;p not easy testing it all the way it works some things need some real given time for testing :p

To everyone, I have been creating the work space via Trello its been a great proven project management board system works a lot like pint rest in case you haven't heard of it already. Also more importantly to those of you who know what you wish to do the github welcomes pull request I will check over the request and if you want to use that to join the team with please do it would be a great way to see what you got. If you need some help with github I would be happy to explain what I know. At this very patch version of pro bound mod, their is only one github branch and this is the one you can work with. So feel free to check into the recipes change and commit when you test it out and finish it up. Same goes for art or anything.

https://github.com/Armed-Mosquito/ProfessionBound
    https://github.com/Armed-Mosquito/ProfessionBound/tree/master/ProfessionBound

12. SexualRhinoceros

SexualRhinoceros Existential Complex

looks awesome! Can't wait to see what you guys do!

13. jaxnif

jaxnif Poptop Tamer

I'm in the middle of making a quest system for my clan's server, so I'm pretty familiar with how the quest mechanism all works. So if you still need someone to help out with the quest line (or any other basic coding) I would love to. I would also be more than happy to help with the website and other web related work. Although I don't have html/css skills but I can do write-ups and such.

Armed Mosquito likes this.
  14. Armed Mosquito

Thanks very much, I am sending you out a private message to you now with some information.

I just wanted to give this a bump as I get our website done I am finding a need for article writers, and screenshot people! At this time if you have any webmaster skills with html and css please feel free to ask about helping we reallly could use some writers for the content on the website. The website will include lots of information so I am also looking for people to take screenshots animated and non animated. If you are interested in helping out please send me a pm I will get you started asap! Far as more devs and pixel artist we need you to but right now all of the focus is on the website.

15. overlord poison

overlord poison Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, I know it's been about a month since this post went out, but I am interested in helping with the modding side. I am in school and as we sit I know a little LUA, i know VB, JS and a bit of Java. I am learning Python and am creating my own mods. I would love to help where I could, and I learn fast. I could also help with quest writing and other things like that, for I am a soon-to-be published author. If you need more information, let me know @ Coltonrock99@gmail.com I hope to hear back from you concerning anything. Thanks in advance.

16. Armed Mosquito

@overlord poison
    Hey no worries I have been updating this thread when needed, it is old however still reviewed and used. We are still looking for more coding developers specially with skills in LUA scripting rather then just JSON, I will go ahead and send you a PM shortly :)
    --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---​

Currently searching for language translators the workspace is like this @ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v-_9um3GUbihRrntafbAimMITcYk4xrUipW653ZgpCQ/edit#

We also need more pixel artist still currently little slow on creating nice art for all of our assets and we want to update a lot with fresh new graphics. .lua developers are currently the only developers we currently need, sorry. But thanks for your support just check back soon it changes frequently or ask me anyhow!