1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this game going to turn into a big crappy CHEAP MOD ABUSE free for all?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Helix1111, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

Is this game going to turn into a big crappy cheap abused mod free for all? Is no one seriously asking this question? and Or why is no one addressing this aspect of the game so far... Only time will tell..

I see this game potentially being the best game in existence but in the meantime its very annoying when anyone and their dog can Google up the maximum number allowed to be used for strength & Armour and damage and the fastest swipe and spawn item speeds etc.. Whats the point when everyone can just do that freely and enter ANY server and then ruin everyone buildings and such? Where is the building defense? where is the protection against these people. why is so much being done for people who want to run a muck in what would actually be an enjoyable rewarding experience?

I am very interested in the BUILDING, SURVIVAL, FARMING and FAIR PVP part of this game. that is what drew me into the game. Not the platforming and getting new weapons. i could of played mega man if i wanted that fix.. Currently the way the game is setup anyone can come along and make a hack & cheat-ass mod and then completely ruining everything you worked so hard towards. Id like to see the drop all items on death ENFORCED in the finally game for all characters.. not having it be an extra mode that NO ONE USES. That and/or the ability to make a server strictly VANILLA. The game already comes with 293492349283498 items and blocks for endless game-play. Yes having mods open to the community is an excellent idea, the more creation the better but where is the limit and how can this not inter-fear with players who want to fully embrace the survival and building aspects of the game. I really hope this can be achieved OR AT LEAST SOME KIND OF BALANCE. I'm not saying that people who like to be evil and destroy stuff shouldn't be allowed to play but make it balanced and fair right? make it fun for both sides. i LOOK FORWARD and ENJOY the challenge of tower defense and rebuilding after defending the structures... but when someone can shoot a gun with 2934289349 meteors. whats the point really. AGAIN I really enjoy PVP aspects, but only if it makes sense.

What i truly hope for is the ability for servers to be FULLY VANILLA and/or FULLY HARDCORE MODE ONLY as in playable only in the original state. This may require a lot of programming to be able to recognize and identify if a item is modded or in its original game format. But i think this is very crucial to long term amazing success with this game.
    In theory it sounds like a simple change, for example in real life if you go into debt and cannot pay of your debt, you will get a mark on your credit and in the future every-time someone pulls up your chart to see your credit its FLAGGED forever.. making it hard for you to do some things and some things u cant even do...
    *Something kinda like this.. once the character and / or items /server have been modded it should get a flag for the game to identify.. So if you have a pure vanilla character you can only go on pure vanilla servers unless u agree to make your character flagged for playing on .. This will also promote the use of all those potential character slots...

** CAN we have this conversation please?! :)

2. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Devs have stated that servers can force server-side inventories instead of client-side ones

3. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

For the record, we can have almost any conversation so long as all participants remain civil and on topic.

Since Starbound allows mods, it is always possible that Free-For-All servers will exist and quickly be abandoned by all but the resident "cheaters", since being griefed is a thoroughly annoying experience.

You will need to be careful where you choose to play multiplayer until stronger Server tools and rules are implemented, such as the server-side characters and inventories that Litigano mentions.

At the current point in time, these controls are not a high priority. This is NOT because they are unimportant, it is because many other major parts of the game require work first. If the game involves PvE and PvP, balancing for PvP must be done last. Each change to PvE will unbalance the PvP in some way, so it doesn't make sense to balance for PvP right away. All you're doing is requiring yourself to constantly balance PvP. It's most time-efficient to implement PvE as much as you can, and then balance for PvP.

4. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

tell me more, i've missed this post.. :D[DOUBLEPOST=1414512487][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I really enjoy PVE a lot. and while i build i'm always constantly fighting off monsters and stuff, its a lot of fun. I really like a high skill and challenging game. You know when you watch someone play a platformer you can just tell their have good PVE and PVP skills that is what is important. Thankyou for all that you mentioned, i like what you said, but i hope its true. I'm a huge fan of this game. I dont even own or play any other games. I just hope its done right.

5. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

All of us hope that it's done right! PvE is a lot of fun, but the challenge plateaus and eventually becomes trivial. Or, artificially-difficult (enemies do 200% damage or something silly that doesn't create meaningful challenge). PvP has scaling difficulty based on the skill of your opponent, which makes it so amazingly fun...or so soul-crushingly horrible.

I think it was in one of the dev blogs that Tiy mentioned server-side characters, let me see if I can find a link.

*Edit*
    Failure! I can't find mentions in the Dev Blogs, but I'm fairly certain I remember reading Tiy or Omni or someone on the dev team (not mod team) that said they would definitely like to do this.

Here's the closest I can find in the dev blogs, Omni talks about potentially separating "admin" characters from normal characters.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Serenity likes this.
  6. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

Thanks for that!!

, Maybe if some mod items and such go beyond a specific number like 10e+07 or whatever people are putting in as damage. if can be flagged as an admin tool and then only admins can use it if they are an admin on that server ect..

7. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The problem is ease of use modding and security generally don't mix.
    The best security is white listing players.

The more security you add to a game, the higher the bandwidth requirements are going to get, and more processing power the sever side is going to need.
    Everything comes at a cost.

Plutocracy likes this.
  8. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Only if you want it to.

9. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

the real problem with those weapons people have, they are not mods
    with they the game does randomly generated weapons all you have to do is give a gun the projectile you want, the damage you want the projectile to do, the speed it fires, and the energy cost
    the random generation has a limit on these variables, but en editor can go to the games limits, so these highly overpowered weapons are vanilla...
    I think the way to fix it would be to have a hard limit on the: damage weapon types can do, use time of weapon types, and energy cost of them as well.

10. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

Thats what i mean by just being able to add 10e+1 (or whatever it is) to every stat and away you go... *facepalm*

11. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

Would it be possible for a server host to whip up a code that checks player inventory for a "Planet Pass" (kind of like a Social Security Number + Green Card) and kick players that don't have one? The host can make a recipe for Planet Passes and distribute it to allowed members. Then there is a decoration or handheld item the host interacts with to kick out player without a genuine pass. This is to allow new players to enter the server long enough to receive a pass from the host, but prevent griefers with names like IIIllllIIIlllII from roaming the server.

12. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

Wait, are there not whitelists? I've seen servers require passwords; does that not count?
    I know that in Minecraft you can allow players on the server but not give them 'rights' until a mod has approved them (e.g. they can't place or remove blocks, but they can walk around).

Helix1111 likes this.
  13. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

Two things:
    1) "An extra mode that no one uses." I'm guessing wildly that this might be an indication that the mode is unpopular? ;)
    2) ENFORCING people to play in a way that they don't want to play may also not be popular. If you want people to play a certain way, then encourage them to play that way. Choice is a good thing.

14. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

You sure know how to make cheating sound alluring.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  15. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

I think two things that are much needed are these: server-side players and server-side inventories. 99% of the problems come from players who have either modded superpowered vanilla items into their inventories using editors or have modded their player stats through those same editors. Getting modded items into the game is still possible, but this should cut down the abuse of vanilla assets at least.

Helix1111 likes this.
  16. Helix1111

Helix1111 Big Damn Hero

I like this server side inventories idea,

But from the look at the replies and the dev logs i think the answer to my original title is going to be YES :(

17. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

Best solution: find a good community with a wrapper that has protection and other tools, and good admins.

Wallah, done.

18. renojonathanr

renojonathanr Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Such as iLoveBacons. Anyways, server-side inventories and characters would be a really good idea. It should cut down on abuse of modded items.

19. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

@Helix1111, you may want to change the title around a bit. The term "mod abuse" has more than one meaning, and it set off some alarm bells when you first posted this.

20. Typhin

Typhin Void-Bound Voyager

On the subject of servers with different mods, kind of an "It Would Be Nice" feature would be to have something in the main menu to enable/disable mods, possibly even the ability to set up "profiles". That way, you can have a "pure vanilla" server, a server to play with friends where you have mods A, B, and C, one that has mods B, D, and Q, and so on. Maybe even have the profiles tied to the servers, so that they're automatically enabled/disabled when you go to connect to it? Just kinda tossing out ideas.

As for the original topic, I would definitely want to see an option for server-side characters/inventories. Perhaps the server could choose whether to use client-side characters, server-side characters only, or server-side characters with an optional "upload" mechanic. "For-fun" servers could just let the clients keep the characters, and if the players edit them, that's their choice. More "serious" servers can choose to keep the characters server-side, to prevent players from bringing in weapons generated with admin commands or mods. It seems to me, though, that the best option (if it has to be limited to one choice) would be the server-side only characters. Especially if there isn't a mechanism in place to prevent a character created with a set of mods from being loaded on a server that doesn't have those mods installed, and thus having items or other data that the server has no idea how to handle.