1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Starbound potentially racist?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by NamelessLime, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Pappaknox

Pappaknox Phantasmal Quasar

The races could exsist in real life. It's just that we haven't gotten to exploring Space enough to find out.

2. BastianHawk

BastianHawk Aquatic Astronaut

It could be argued that, though imagined, it still shows a certain lack of empathy. Perhaps the capacity to show such things as empathy to fictional things is a reflection of our actual selves.

3. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

By saying all races are a facette of our own, are you claiming that humans evolved into other races? I believe the lore says all the aliens are from their own planets, and none of them are related. So technically their wrongs are not our wrongs.
    I don't know exactly what you were trying to say, but what I thought you said seems incorrect.

4. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

No, what I am saying is that all the races are inspired from facettes of our own real life one. Their good and bad sides are all inspired from humanity. Who know, maybe the human race in-game are not exactly like real word human and also draw from a single facette of real humanity. Still a possibility since we have no real information about them out of the, they are humans.

Hazmat likes this.
  5. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Eh, I don't feel empathy anyway. :p

6. Gnoll

Gnoll Void-Bound Voyager

Don't cut yourself on that edge.

7. Hallowfell

Hallowfell Phantasmal Quasar

With both Avian and Apex stories already themed 'Fight the Powah,' I'm glad the humans have something else.

Besides, it's cool and pretty original. The threat came from the heart of their own homeworld instead of the stars, from beneath rather than above, in the form of... something. Something that has tentacles visible from space.

It's a good mystery. What's attached to the tentacles? Has it always been there or did humanity make it? Was it sleeping? Waiting? Will it stop with Earth?

Maybe Earth was just an egg all along, covered in a (relatively) thin layer of dirt and water?

8. Gaikang

Gaikang The Number of the Minibeast

It is a game partially about races and specifically how different they are. I would hope it is filled with 'racism'.

9. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Too late. I cut myself on that edge so much that I'm actually missing a hand by now. :p

10. PurpleSquirel43

PurpleSquirel43 Pangalactic Porcupine

DEATH TO THOSE WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN KLUEX!

awesomekaj likes this.
  11. vladiskov

vladiskov Space Spelunker

and everyones taked it soooooooooooooo Seriusly (go to see the firist line of the firist post ;D)

12. ClockworkDreams

ClockworkDreams Big Damn Hero

Well we all know the Florans aren't racists... they are eat all sentient beings alike.:up:

13. Eonwulf

Eonwulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I thought this thread was going to be about the Starbound races hating other Starbound races.

14. HedgeFlanders

HedgeFlanders Big Damn Hero

Well Apex are somewhat based on the book 1984 so that is why they have that backstory. I'm reading 1984 right now, it's AWESOME! [​IMG]

Jonesy likes this.
  15. HedgeFlanders

HedgeFlanders Big Damn Hero

I blame Cthulhu [​IMG]

natelovesyou and ForsakenNoble like this.
  16. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I'm 99% sure that the tentacle planets are the Human's fault. The prison dungeon has U.S.C.M. written on part of the wall, which is probably a reference to the United Space Colonial Marines from Aliens. In that series, the main character struggles to eradicate an Alien menace that only continues to live and multiply because the people in charge are more interested in utilizing the destructive potential of the alien Xenomorphs instead of eliminating the potential threat. The Metroid series follows a similar storyline, with Metroids (as well as the X-virus) being too powerful to safely control and Humans trying to utilize them anyway, leading to potential disaster that is only averted thanks to the efforts of Samus Aran. There are even similarities to the Zerg in Starcraft lore, since the Terran Dominion still continues to try to control the Zerg swarm in spite of numerous failed attempts that always end in disaster.

Basically, I'm certain that Humans were studying some dangerous biological weapons technology that got out of control and ended up destroying their planet. It's in our nature. Like fire, our greatest technology is always our greatest threat, and when we lose control we get burned.

17. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

You humans are all racist ! (c) Mass Effect

18. zanthal

zanthal Existential Complex

Let's skip past racism and just get straight to eating other races.

I've got a swinging good deal on Apex Burgers, did you want cheese on that?

[​IMG]

19. Godzilla03

Godzilla03 Industrial Terraformer

While I agree that the humans can definitely destroy themselves. I believe they could of just wanted their "ends" to be something different from ours. Its also just my opinion. :geek:

EDIT: I also just noticed this is an almost 5 months old post. Sorry about that. :whoop:

natelovesyou likes this.
  20. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

I think people that post retarded, pointless comments and end up reviving a very old thread should be banned or have posting rights revoked. It's a good thing I'm not a moderator.