1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[IRC] some more details regarding crafting/printing/dyes/homeworlds etc

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by plaYer2k, Feb 19, 2013.

1. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

So Tiy was chatty again and told us a bit about starbounds progress and what they are changing, adding etc
    I am puting the full log in here for those not in IRC at all or just right now so youse can read everything without missing a bit (even when its a useless bit :p) and speculate or whatever.

12:41:57 <@Tiyuri> 700 placeable items now ;D
    12:42:01 < Arpege> There's also the factor that if you tried to tell the average American to wear a mask out in public if they were sick, they would go around and
    cough on everything in spite.
    12:42:03 < plaYer2k> i had =D
    12:42:03 <@Tiyuri> added 100 yesterday
    12:42:14 < plaYer2k> err .. =D @ all the shiny items
    12:42:22 < Benguin> We need placeable mohawks
    12:42:30 < Benguin> I'll just have a shelf FULL of them
    12:42:35 < Elruflon> uhh what's going on for t'day?
    12:42:54 < plaYer2k> i still wan placeable furniture animals ... like cats scractching walls, sleeping, turning around in the place etc :D
    12:43:00 < EpsilonEagle256> oh yeah, i just posted up placeable items on the forums
    12:43:01 < Arpege> Tiyuri: Are you still going with the 3D printer idea for printing out placeable items?
    12:43:02 < plaYer2k> and other animals ofc .. that would be cute :3
    12:43:02 < LongChan> Tiyuri: Hmmmm, are you going to make some of them dyable, Tiy?
    12:43:03 < EpsilonEagle256> some of, anyway
    12:43:15 <@Tiyuri> yeup
    12:43:15 < Arpege> That's sweet
    12:43:15 <@Tiyuri> to 3d printer
    12:43:17 <@Tiyuri> dyable maybe
    12:43:19 <@Tiyuri> if we have time
    12:43:25 < Elruflon> dyeable objects huh...
    12:43:34 <@Tiyuri> paintable :P
    12:43:44 < Arpege> You should show off the printing printing out some large items sometime. :) I'm really curious to see the layer-by-layer pixel effect
    12:43:44 < plaYer2k> i read that as DIE aswell ... xD
    12:43:51 < Arpege> printer printing*
    12:43:55 < Elruflon> we should add complex painting systems XD
    12:44:09 <@Tiyuri> im not sure we'll be doing the layer by layer effect
    12:44:13 <@Tiyuri> because
    12:44:18 < LongChan> Even if they are not, that's a TRUCKLOAD of them, wow, my fiancee is going to have a great time, she loves decorating stuff :D
    12:44:22 <@Tiyuri> people want to craft many items quicky
    12:44:34 < plaYer2k> mh instead of a deeper painting system i would love to see a deeper landing system :D
    12:44:45 < Arpege> Couldn't they press spacebar to complete the effect immediately?
    12:44:45 < CryoPenguin> Tiy, how many soundtracks are in the game right now?
    12:45:04 < Arpege> Or the 'printing' process could be rapidly sped up to take only a second to fully reveal
    12:45:04 < CryoPenguin> How about a something+click for quicker stack?
    12:45:21 < CryoPenguin> Not soundtracks, but tracks.
    12:45:22 <@Tiyuri> it still means not putting it directly into your inventory Arpege
    12:45:33 < Elruflon> are the songs made by Keving McLeod?
    12:45:33 <@Tiyuri> the issue is also multiple people using the printer at the same time
    12:45:34 <@Tiyuri> i suppose what we could do
    12:45:37 < Arpege> Oh, true
    12:45:38 < Elruflon> Kevin*
    12:45:39 <@Tiyuri> is have the printing effect in the gui window
    12:45:49 <@Tiyuri> ill give it some thought
    12:46:10 <@Tiyuri> george is still bugging me to add space elves
    12:46:16 < Arpege> I kind of imagined that when you printe something it would put the thing immediately into your inventory, and the item that appears on screen is
    only for show. A graphical effect to show it being built up, then vanishing.
    12:46:21 <@Lazerus> curtis schweitzer is the composer of these songs Elruflon
    12:46:27 < Arpege> So you didn't have to actually pick it up.
    12:46:36 <@Tiyuri> could be that way
    12:46:39 <@Tiyuri> but still printing multiple objects at once could be confusing
    12:46:50 < Benguin> Lazerus: not solatrus? or are those both the same person?
    12:46:55 < Elruflon> are there any available OSTs I could listen to atleast?
    12:46:55 <@Tiyuri> i mean youd pick one over the others and just play that, its for effect afterall, thats logical right?
    12:47:02 <@Lazerus> they have more than one composer
    12:47:13 <@Tiyuri> but then if you run to it with another person, choose to craft a sofa, and you see a .. idk.. banner being printed
    12:47:15 <@Tiyuri> might be pretty odd
    12:47:31 < CryoPenguin> Hmm, so you plagiarized the actual solar system and stars and black hole's names.
    12:47:35 < Elruflon> 3D printing yourself lol
    12:47:45 < Arpege> If person A prints a grandfather clock and person B prints a sofa a half-second later, it could cancel out the animation of the clock and
    immediately start on the sofa
    12:47:59 <@Tiyuri> might be a bit ugly
    12:48:06 < plaYer2k> why cancel out? just make a queue
    12:48:10 < Elruflon> then try making more printers?
    12:48:16 <@Tiyuri> nah i think doing it in the players crafting window is the best bet
    12:48:20 <@Tiyuri> if we do it
    12:48:33 < LongChan> I'm with Tiy
    12:48:35 < Arpege> Oh, that is a good workaround
    12:48:35 < EpsilonEagle256> make multiple tests of it and see which looks the best
    12:48:40 < Arpege> You only see what you're printing
    12:48:56 -!- Kelp [5212e58d@gateway/web/freenode/ip.82.18.229.141] has joined #starbound
    12:49:08 <@Tiyuri> the idea is that copper, silver, gold, diamond and some other bits and bobs
    12:49:08 < LongChan> That seems to be the most close choice without having to mess with what other people see
    12:49:09 < CryoPenguin> Great idea!
    12:49:11 <@Tiyuri> all can be crafted into printer ink
    12:49:17 < CryoPenguin> Hey, hello, Kelp!
    12:49:17 <@Tiyuri> so that those mats never become obsolete
    12:49:27 < Kelp> I came in at a good time, hey Cryo.
    12:49:33 < Elruflon> so there's like a contrast thing?
    12:49:36 < LongChan> Tiyuri: Diamondo Suworodu!
    12:49:42 <@Tiyuri> silver = more ink than copper
    12:49:42 <@Tiyuri> for example
    12:49:47 < CryoPenguin> http://www.playstarbound.com/soundtrack/
    12:49:56 < Elruflon> oh I thought they differ colors XD
    12:49:57 < CryoPenguin> If you missed that, Kelp.
    12:50:02 < Kelp> I know about that, listening to a tad of it atm.
    12:50:04 <@Tiyuri> there are 10 special ores
    12:50:04 < plaYer2k> when the same printer is used my different people and that should affect each other, then i thing a queue that places all requests and visible
    when opening the printer would be the a good solution ... so opening it (Item1: 5 chairs (by playerA), Item2: 3 weapons (by playerB), Item3: 1
    helmet (by playerB)) etc
    12:50:09 <@Tiyuri> that only appear within their tier
    12:50:16 <@Tiyuri> and are used for crafting armor and weapons that belong to that tier
    12:50:20 <@Tiyuri> then there are ores that appear in every tier
    12:50:22 < Elruflon> then you use gemstones for dyes then?
    12:50:25 < Arpege> So 3D printing ink is one of the most valuable resources in the universe, since it allows people in space to construct almost anything they need
    12:50:27 <@Tiyuri> and are used for crafting printer ink or have other general uses
    12:50:32 < LongChan> Tiyuri: What about adding a very high tier recycler to convert items back into materials? That sounds kind of OP though
    12:51:06 <@Tiyuri> I'm tempted to make printer ink the straight up currency
    12:51:10 <@Tiyuri> it wouldnt be CALLED printer ink of course
    12:51:12 < Arpege> I was just about to suggest that
    12:51:17 < Arpege> It's basically 'Scrap' in FTL
    12:51:24 <@Tiyuri> but its an interesting idea, in a world where you can print anything
    12:51:28 <@Tiyuri> the ink logically becomes the cash
    12:51:33 <@Tiyuri> because you trade it for the object
    12:51:49 <@Tiyuri> and the object is worth as much ink as you put into it
    12:52:13 < LongChan> Tiyuri: That would make sense, economy FTW, also trading with npcs?
    12:52:32 < Arpege> I wonder if that would make things you couldn't construct with the ink immensely valuable
    12:52:40 < Arpege> I assume it couldn't print out plants or animals
    12:52:46 < Elruflon> oh so their is an amount of ink in which you need to print right? For example, a bigger item needs more ink?
    12:53:18 <@Tiyuri> ^ right
    12:53:24 < EpsilonEagle256> are their gun pieces to collect? jw
    12:53:26 <@Tiyuri> sometimes objects need some other small items
    12:53:31 <@Tiyuri> like you cant 3d print a candle
    12:53:40 <@Tiyuri> but you can 3d print a candleholder and it requires a torch
    12:53:45 < Arpege> Bigger doesn't necessarily equal more ink though, right? Gold requires more ink to print out than wood?
    12:53:46 <@Tiyuri> to get the object
    12:53:51 <@Tiyuri> right
    12:53:57 <@Tiyuri> its not straight up size
    12:53:58 <@Tiyuri> though size comes into it
    12:54:06 <@Tiyuri> essentially, stuff that looks valuable will be valuable
    12:54:48 < Elruflon> so ink is player currency rather than real currency?
    12:54:52 < LongChan> Tiy, any words on mechs, where and how they will be crafted, etc.?
    12:54:52 < Arpege> So the only issue is finding out a good, catchy name for this universal currency that everyone needs to survive in space and alien planets with
    12:55:06 <@Tiyuri> well
    12:55:12 <@Tiyuri> with 3d printer ink you could easily print money
    12:55:13 < plaYer2k> hm suddenly 2 questions come up ... 1) will other items be returnable to printer ink like recycling? 2) homeworlds are stored within the
    "universe save" not the "player save" right?
    12:55:17 <@Tiyuri> so any other kind of money becomes obsolete
    12:55:18 <@Tiyuri> :P
    12:55:37 -!- hnewton [~hnewton@pc220106.lincoln.ac.uk] has joined #starbound
    12:55:55 -!- NihilKri [~nihilkri@user-24-96-0-67.knology.net] has quit [Ping timeout: 276 seconds]
    12:56:25 -!- NihilKri [~nihilkri@user-24-96-0-67.knology.net] has joined #starbound
    12:56:27 < LongChan> Oh, plaYer2k pointed out something interesting there, I join that second question
    12:56:31 <@Tiyuri> for beta we've shuffled around the whole homeworld/spacestation/ship thing a lot
    12:56:47 < Elruflon> so, ink is more of the universal currency now?
    12:56:52 <@Tiyuri> we found that whilst a space station was cool, communal, it limited the gameplay somewhat. A space station cant be in two places at once
    12:57:02 <@Tiyuri> and youd have to decide where to go together
    12:57:04 < Kelp> It still feels weird to me that everywhere has the same currency, though it's a minor detail really.
    12:57:07 <@Tiyuri> and there are disagreements
    12:57:09 <@Tiyuri> so its lame
    12:57:22 < plaYer2k> well in my opinion homeworlds have to be stored within universe save because otherwise if they would be stored within players, when joining
    other servers where player have the same homeworlds it would conflict
    12:57:24 < Kelp> Though I suppose I could think of it as "Print the ink into the currency" through trade. ;)
    12:57:32 <@Tiyuri> we decided to replace the station by giving each player their own ship (which is much harder code wise btw :P, but we did it)
    12:57:33 < plaYer2k> so the easy universe saved solution is, first comes first serves
    12:57:39 <@Tiyuri> and allowing players to invite players onto their ship
    12:57:46 <@Tiyuri> so you can still have the communal thing going on if you want to
    12:57:57 <@Tiyuri> the station has been moved to an asteroid
    12:58:05 <@Tiyuri> it sits on a big asteroid, that's pretty empty and free from monsters
    12:58:11 <@Tiyuri> the asteroid might end up being an infinite world, not sure yet
    12:58:21 <@Tiyuri> but the idea is that its ready to be shaped by the whole server
    12:58:29 <@Tiyuri> its also a place where you cant be harmed and pvp is disabled
    12:58:30 < Elruflon> but can you mine through the asteroid?
    12:58:32 <@Tiyuri> a meeting grounds
    12:58:40 <@Tiyuri> creative mode built into the server
    12:59:02 <@mollygos> only if you're bruce willis, Elruflon
    12:59:08 < Elruflon> XD
    12:59:09 < Koli> :o
    12:59:15 <@Lazerus> dont wanna close my eyes....

13:53:48 < Combine_Kegan> Doing good. Made a quick suggestion thread
    13:54:12 < Combine_Kegan> regarding ammo counters
    13:54:48 <@Tiyuri> there are going to be no ammo counters
    13:54:52 <@Tiyuri> guns are going to use energy
    13:54:57 <@Tiyuri> the ammo counters are temporary
    13:55:05 < Combine_Kegan> Woah, you mean ALL guns are going to use battery?
    13:55:11 <@Tiyuri> yup
    13:55:12 -!- mq521 [~maqzek@unaffiliated/mq522] has joined #starbound
    13:55:12 < Combine_Kegan> Well then
    13:55:20 < NewLiar> Will they reload then, or just slowly regen energy?
    13:55:32 < Combine_Kegan> Wait even like
    13:55:32 < Elruflon> then it's like Mass Effect 1 with all the decisions
    13:55:40 < Prismaa> Tiyuri did you read what i said about underwater base building?
    13:55:51 <@Tiyuri> It means you need to build around the way you want to play
    13:55:56 < mq521> What is like ME1
    13:55:59 <@Tiyuri> i.e. if you want to be a gun dude, you need armor that boosts energy
    13:56:06 <@Tiyuri> and as such, isnt quite as strong

And that ended the informative part already :3

My personal conclusion is that the game is overall in a state with at least 1-2 months away from a playable release but the features are shaping more and more.

But dont forget what got said is always subject of change and can be altered for the final game and some parts (even unlikely) may get removed/replaced completely.

EDIT:
    Okay since some seem to think people were "spamming" the channel when Tiy spoke i have to say that that was not true. I only took that part out of the log because only that contained valuable informations for this thread. Yet the chat was pretty alive before Tiy said something so no "we" didnt start chatting just the moment he said something. Chat activity rose by maybe 20-30% as usualy but the heat actually cooled down quite rapidly.
    I hope that helps understanding the circumstances of that given log.

2. Ellie

Ellie Star Wrangler

Woah thanks for this! Really interesting :DD

3. NewLiar

NewLiar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for sharing this man!
    Lots of cool new info.

4. Lynn

Lynn Void-Bound Voyager

Amazing, 3D printers~

Thanks for the information.
    Wow, i should really start joining IRCs..

5. Adam #

Adam # Big Damn Hero

*cough*equivalentexchange*cough*

Alternal and Saxor like this.
  6. plaYer2k

True whenever any Dev is releasing informations about the game people want to know more ... but it also cools down reeeeaaallly quickly :D

Also i hate reading through old logs and all my typos like "my" instead of "by" or "thing" instead of "think" ... UHHH brain y u hate me so much xD

WoxandWarf likes this.
  7. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Phantasmal Quasar

Meh, so I log out of IRC again and then Tiy starts talking. I think he hates me :(

Nesden, Autoantitheft and druid like this.
  8. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Phantasmal Quasar

I thought so! *cries* :cry:

xboy777, Sgt. Sprocket and WoxandWarf like this.
  9. Redheat

Redheat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nah you just have the same bad luck/timing that I do

10. Caidoz

Caidoz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Lot of neat info, too bad about the space station though. I have zero interest in ever playing with other people, so I was hoping to keep the space station as a huge mobile personal base, rather than a stationary meetup point. I have to say though, if that's what you're going with, please don't make the asteroid size infinite. Just doesn't make sense.

Also,

12:46:10 <@Tiyuri> george is still bugging me to add space elves

Dammit George, save it for post release! Feature creep bad! :p

xboy777, Johan, Rainden and 2 others like this.
  11. DNAY!

DNAY! Ketchup Robot

Yeah!!! I always wanted my own spacecraft!

12. Necrius

Necrius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh wow.
    1) "There'll be NO hunger" = optional (fortunately, but I really began to enjoy survival features after playing Minecraft) hunger and temperature.
    2) "The space station will be your main base" = No, it's the ship.
    Fuel for the ship, Every gun using energy, 3D-printing items... Actually, I don't get this - is it like fast crafting of complicated items or the only way to craft stuff?
    What's next? Durability? XP? Line of Sight? Not that i have anything against those (except durability - I don't like when my stuff breaks permanently), but... yeah.

13. Ugh, elves.

I always hated elves, they're such huge snobs in just about every game and franchise.
    Everything the do always HAS to be superior to every other race, they always HAVE to live in the most pristine paradise the world has to offer, and they always HAVE to win EVERYTHING.
    They have no weaknesses, they just use their agility and speed and stuff, and boom. Even the strongest enemy is down without a fight.

Oh yeah, and they're often IMMORTAL.

Elves are godmodding in a nutshell, and I hate them for it.

On the other hand, this is Starbound we're talking about.
    If elves were to act the EXACT OPPOSITE, I would laugh my head off, and forgive them instantly.

14. plaYer2k

Well the fuel is simply a resource your ship requires to travel long distances through the universe so you dont jump from planet to planet, so it kinda forces you a bit to explore a solar system you jumped into.

Energy and weapons are quite simple aswell. You may have notices the green energy bar below the players red health bar. Energy is consumed for ranged weapons but regenerates aswell over time. The belance between melee and ranged is done through selecting the right "techs" (take them as modular skill upgrades) and selecting the right armor. You can either select armor that increases your energy pool and regeneration (ranged build) or armors that increase your damage reduction (melee build) or mix them a bit. This allows you to find your own style but also balances the game.

The 3D printer are just a way how "crafting" should work. As far as i got it right now, instead of what terraria did by requiring tiles (workbench, table, anvil) you simpy have a few blueprints and a printer then add the required ores into the printer and it crafts your item.

Durability and XP wont be ingame and that got said several times already :D

Urist McDwarf and WoxandWarf like this.
  15. We need viking elves.

Viking. Elves.

Get on that, devs.

Guthrie28, Mianso and Ellie like this.
  16. Necrius

Necrius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, as well as "The Following has been stated as NOT being in the game".
    Just like it was said about hunger bar some time before it was introduced.

17. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

I like it! But I do think there should still be other space stations to discover around the universe. A sci-fi universe without any space stations seems strange.

18. Along with: "don't take everything in this list as 100% accurate"

19. CoherentManatee

CoherentManatee Space Penguin Leader

Huh...That seems odd. Having your awesome space station, be in space seems much cooler than it just sitting on an asteroid.

Shippo, WoxandWarf and Lizard Ditka like this.
  20. Adallamus

Adallamus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Being a d&d 3.5e player, I was under the impression that elves were MADE OF PAPER. In fact, it's better (assuming you start at an early level) to be a dwarf wizard than an elf wizard, for terms of minimizing your chance to end up shredded (They're paper remember) and without the chance to even gain more levels.

But yeah they're snobby and usually racist. Don't like them. Kill and burn.