1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[IRC] Item Descriptions!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Forever, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Forever

Forever Phantasmal Quasar

Tiy decided to drop by and share some stuff in the IRC. Here's a description for some boring dresser.

"apexDescription" : "The resistance once stored their disguises in these wardrobes.. somehow the Miniknog knew. There were raids.. executions.."

"glitchDescription" : "Bored. Plain Apex furniture. Each appears to contain a hidden camera."

"humanDescription" : "It's as if someone went to great trouble to ensure this wardrobe were dull."

"hylotlDescription" : "Perhaps something interesting sits within, looks can be deceiving."

"floranDescription" : "Wardrobe? Sssuch things bore Floran."
    Thanks to Tiktalik for finding the Floran one.
    <Tiyuri> For an Avian sacrificial altar:

"apexDescription" : "What dark deeds have been committed at this altar."

"avianDescription" : "Sacrifice is common amongst the Avians, it is why many choose to become grounded."

"floranDescription" : "Tasssty blood. Floran want a lick."

"glitchDescription" : "Analyse. Altar appears splattered with Avian blood."

"humanDescription" : "Blood and feathers. Dark."

"hylotlDescription" : "Who would choose to follow a god that demands his followers sacrifice their lives."

2. Man, those Altar description are dark lol.

Serenity and Jonesy like this.
  3. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

So... wait... Glitch are... hipsters?! o_O

4. Sowaka

Sowaka Phantasmal Quasar

Hrrrrrrngh < 3 Floran's is the sexiest. :love: I think I just settled on my race.

5. Bluxen

Bluxen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Floran description seems a bit too derp :V

HedgeFlanders, Serenity, Hugt and 9 others like this.
  6. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

What's with the terrible grammar? It feels like a middle schooler wrote some of these. They seem very rushed and many have incorrect punctuation. It's not really satisfactory to the caliber that I feel the devs are shooting for.

7. Khanromi

Khanromi Void-Bound Voyager

I didn't think whoever wrote these would be the type to end rhetorical questions in periods instead of question marks. I'm fairly certain that's incorrect.
    Other than that, considering there's like 8000 of these, many of them written on very little sleep, they seem passable. The actual content of the descriptions is quite good.
    I suppose you can't expect them all to be perfect on the first go, but I think a second pass for grammar and spell-checking is warranted.

But then, that's just my thoughts on the matter. Also, is this a direct copy-paste from the game files or is this in some way manually transcribed? I can see that accounting for some of the errors here.

8. Sim2k

Sim2k Big Damn Hero

That Floran one has to be fake right? Its kinda ... lame? :(

Serenity, Nesden, Skyblade799 and 6 others like this.
  9. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

haha, its awesome. i get now what tiy meant when multiple race would give descriptions that gives a wider feel for the story :p
    for the dresser the apex seems completly oblivious to the camera while the glitch downright comment on the fact each one of them seems to have one :p

10. RitsuHasano

RitsuHasano Existential Complex

Accidents happen? I mean, not everybody can have perfect grammar all the time, and I would assume that these are just examples that were posted quickly without worrying about grammar. After all, while grammar and spelling is a good thing, not everybody gets so uptight about it.

Nesden likes this.
  11. petelectro

petelectro Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh yeaaaah :D

I really like that they've gone through so much more work, just to increase the depth of the lore. This just goes to show how much they care about atmosphere and the right gamefeel :)

12. Evithlia

Evithlia Weight of the Sky

If it's about the floran's i think that's the way they talk, like some kind of natives.

Katlatze likes this.
  13. It looks like a copy/paste out of item config files (which are probably easy for you to edit if you really wanted to).

14. Looks like the Hylotl are pretty thoughtful ... I love them ever more right now.
    Hylotl master race !

15. Khanromi

Khanromi Void-Bound Voyager

Agreed, though it's possible that they are spread out among the individual object files, and on top of that, there's the sheer quantity of descriptions to consider. Regardless, they're just text, editing is not an issue.
    In retrospect, I was a bit hasty in assuming the devs didn't know about or weren't going to fix these. Apologies. However, I still stand by my previous statement that some proofreading would do a world of good for these descriptions, even if the statement itself is redundant.

riseoflegends likes this.
  16. Katlatze

Katlatze Pangalactic Porcupine

The Floran line is exactly how they were described right from the beginning, as carnivorous primitive natives. If anyone doesn't think it suits them, they haven't read the race descriptions.

I feel like the Hylotl are going to be veeeery interesting........

17. TenaciousTinkerer

TenaciousTinkerer Cosmic Narwhal

I read the floran description in the warcraft 3 troll voice.

Also interesting, verrrryyy interestinggg.

Tleno likes this.
  18. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Glitch sounding like Hipsters does not compute... o_O

I think the Descriptions are doing good at their job overall, though it's making me lol that the so-called 'smartest race' can't spot the hidden cameras in its own Race's furniture, yet the Medieval Minded Glitch can so easily. Apex as the smartest race my shiny metal butt. :rofl:

Glitch rule, apes drool! :p

LazerEagle1 likes this.
  19. mooncats5

mooncats5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

*facepalms at the Floran dialogue* Really? Ugh... I'm not looking forward to these now if they're all going to be like that. Bad enough with the 'tasty blood' comment, but now they're dumb enough to talk in the third person about themselves? :wut:

Serenity, Hugt, chickenfrend and 7 others like this.
  20. Show

Show Phantasmal Quasar

Love it!

Was going to stick with just one character for a while, but this is going to motivate me to try out the others sooner to see their ideas.

Personally, I like the tone of each statement (but then again, I was never attached to any one race, so don't have any preconceived notions of what I thought they should sound like)