1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing Starbounder! The Planet Project and Wiki

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Katzeus, May 16, 2013.

1. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Then they update the game and if like minecraft the seed generator will change, and cords will nolonger point to the same place except in sections of a already generated universe.

So you -may- need to separate cords by version among other things.

2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

I'll check this out, looks really nice!

I saw the comment at the end of your post just now, that quote was pretty much the inspiration. It's still unclear what elements are shared between games, but whatever those common elements are is the focus of the project. We'll start with profiles for planets seem in streams and what not so we can work out the format details pre-beta.

3. WolfGang

WolfGang Phantasmal Quasar

That was the second part to what I wanted to say.

and you are completely right.

If it is a "fixed universe system" whereby all games have the same.

If they add a new biome, suddenly your wonderful jungle planet, will not be a jungle planet for anyone else unless they already went there before the update.

4. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

I'm thinking they'd just add new coordinates and planets if they add new biomes. That way the universe gets expanded instead of changed.
    Chucklefish seems smart enough to do it that way. :D

5. WolfGang

There is problem with that though. you've got 4 choices.

1. Never touch world generation again after release (maybe for expansions though, not updates)

2. Override some random planets.

3. Either you add more to the "outside" of the universe, meaning that player may never come accross them without looking for them.

4. Or you add them randomly scattered within the universe.
    However unless you want it to be a rare biome. your going to have to add just as many more planets as exists for the others.
    Problem being you have one of two options.
    A. Add new solar systems.
    B. Add new planets to existing solar systems.

(B ) is IMO a slightly better option, though it may lead to more cluttered solar systems.

the problem with (A) is adding a biome or new special structure(st) to the generation would do this
    Original universe, 100 stars, 10 biomes/st's.
    lets add 1 biome/st. 110 stars
    lets add a few more.
    now we have doubled the number of available biomes / st's.

Its not a sustainable method.

The most scalable solution is to have billions of available planets, and overwriting some of them.
    the most consistency friendlily approach is adding more planets, but this will sacrfice the feel of your universe and make it cluttered

6. Katzeus

I've seen different "galaxies" in streams using the star chart, if that's the method then coordinates would be "Galaxy name, x, y, z"

7. mwpow3ll

mwpow3ll Guest

I could be wrong, but my interpretation is that every sever will have its own unique universe and you can store the planet coordinates; so, if someone joins your universe (server) they can access the log book and jump to that planet, but they have to be on your server (in your universe). The idea that you can store planet coordinates in a wiki online and anyone can input them into their single player or multi-player game doesn't make sense to me.

The only way it would make sense was if the coordinates also included the universe seed and when you add the coordinate the game recognizes it's not part of the current universe and creates another universe based on the seed.

Finn Learson likes this.
  8. Katorone

I really doubt they're going to change existing planets. We don't really know how scattered planets are now or how many major biomes there are. So it's very hard to guestimate how dense the universe becomes or how rare the new biomes would be.
    Personally I hope for a separate coordinate system for biomes that get added by mods. For instance, vanilla is 0000 to 9999, mods get 10000 to 19999. That way it's very easy for a wiki to determine if it's a vanilla planet or not, and perhaps mod makers could add their planets/coordinates to a wiki so people know what they're adding.

9. From my understanding the planets are going to be random per server, so I don't think that the Planet Project will work that way because it will be different every time for every server. I could be wrong though.

10. Katorone

I'm afraid you understand wrong. :D
    All planets at the same coordinates will be the same, regardless of server or single player. Unless, perhaps, there's a mod that will randomize the files or something. :)

11. WolfGang

12. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Actually this could potentialy be wrong with any mod.

If a mod adds creature parts and biomes, what you see at one xy may not translate to another game when someone goes there. The mod selection partscould be pulled for that spot instead of vanilla starbound information, resulting in a totally or somewhat different world.

13. mwpow3ll

mwpow3ll Guest

The FAQ post explaining that a coordinate will always generate the same system does not indicate whether it's on a per server (universe) basis or not; therefore, it's inconclusive.

I will admit that my interpretation could be wrong, but honestly I don't see the point in maintaining the same universe seed across every server / client.

14. Katzeus

I think the whole point of having a common seed is so you can share with friends! If I stumble upon a planet made of candy with rainbow bridges I can post coordinates and others can check it out!!

15. tatswaru

tatswaru Phantasmal Quasar

Okay I have read through this a bit and looked carefully at some posts and will now add my two cents of what I can understand (which is probably not much):rofl:
    I think the planet project is a great Idea! however when mods are made and you send coordinates from that modded starbound server, you may wish to warn people that the planet may look weird or can't access the planet altogether.
    EDIT: if they don't have the mod they have when they shared coordinates.
    Also I think coordinates should be made for galaxies, solar systems and planets, at least separately so not to confuse people much.
    That's my two cents (looks like more doesn't it?), And please correct me if I'm wrong on any account.:V:coffee:

16. mwpow3ll

mwpow3ll Guest

You can share the coordinate with a friend in both models, but the shared universe model is limiting because just imagine what would happen when a mod is introduced that adds a new biome, monsters, ores, etc? The less limiting idea is to make the universe server centric. In other words, if you want to check out the planet someone else found, you need to join their server or your single player client needs to be able to recreate that universe from the system coordinate.

I wish we could get an admin to confirm this...

17. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

I had a similar cataloging idea for creatures rather than planets. I'm not sure what the planets will look like, though I'm certain that it'll be hard to catalog them if they are all different for each server/galaxy. I look forward to seeing where it goes.

Katzeus likes this.
  18. WolfGang

It really depends what you catalogue
    If you just store, co-ordinates and a few facts about the numbers of resources, + what kind of "sentient" population exists. then its not to bad.

However I do think that a wiki is not the right format for this.
    It needs more of a plain database approach where you can enter say...
    Glitch, iron, within 100 light years of co-ordinate X,Y.

and it would spit back a list of co-ordinates that you can click on to expand information

19. Katzeus

I agree, if I was managing it alone I'd go for something SQL driven with a better interface then a wiki. I went with the wiki, and specifically wikia, because of the ease of use for community involvement. I really want it to be easy for people to get involved in building the catalog.

Do you have an example of a site that follows the model you're suggesting?

20. WolfGang

Not really.
    But if looks weren't an issue I could make one in a few hours.

The main issue at the moment is it would be futile to do it because we have no idea what data there is to be stored.