1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

improving performance?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Skip, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Sunra

Sunra Space Spelunker

Useful thread, deleting the registry entry as well as disabling steam cloud did a great deal for me!

2. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

Don't worry I'm lagging really bad too and my pc is about mid range right now (saving for a massive overhaul) I started to lag after their minor update last night to the point that my character would run off on me while my hands were free of my keyboard.

3. coops00

coops00 Intergalactic Tourist

I tried the steam registry delete and cant seem to find anything relating to steam? other files there but nothing to do with steam

any help?

4. Skaruts

Skaruts Industrial Terraformer

Try lower resolutions and play around with zoom in the options. Also, test the game in windowed mode vs fullscreen (usually fullscreen runs better I think, but may not be always).

They're probably going to further optimize the game at some point, but until then that's what we got to work with.

5. Skip

Skip Void-Bound Voyager

yeah, i also tried to do this on my laptop and there was nothing there. My laptop actually seems to run starbound a little bit better anyways. I have no idea why some computers have that registry and others don't. im not tech savy =(

6. Neosaurus

Neosaurus Tentacle Wrangler

I get about 5 fps with no enemies onscreen. I have 8gb ram and dual for at 1.3 ghz each. Starbound should be running no problem

7. Jack Cooper

Jack Cooper Space Spelunker

when i sign in on steam it take s ages to load is it the same with you guys?

8. Sunra

Sunra Space Spelunker

Is steam running in compatibility mode? If so: turning it off might make the difference, from the game being unplayable I have ultrasmooth gameplay since I turned compatibility mode off!

9. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

It has been twenty days since that was posted, it's probably been fixed by now. Pay attention to post dates! c:

10. Vejjiegirl

Vejjiegirl Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having the same issues, How do I turn off compatibility mode :(?

11. Kjkillercom

Kjkillercom Pangalactic Porcupine

I moved Starbound to a ramdrive since my computer has tons of ram available. Game loads in seconds flat. Won't fix the rendering problems but it does help a lot when its on a drive that can read and write at over 800mbps. :p

12. Dal

Dal Phantasmal Quasar

My computer from 2010 runs the game without any lag or frame rate issues, but for a 2d game it may take a lot of power since it's not optimised .

13. donut0259

donut0259 Aquatic Astronaut

Temp fix for preformance!
    !!!ALLWAYS BACK UP FILES EVEN IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!

I just read the whole 2 pages of this discussion. My computer is int that good ,but good enough to run skyrim on very high so I would think I could run a game like starbound right? No. So I fixed it in a simple way witch I will now share so you can experience very "very" almost lag free gaming even though the game only uses one core. all you have to do is edit the [starbound.config] file (located if on 64Bit [ C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound ] with something like note pad or (note pad ++ is what I have) and look for the line that says ["maxFrameskip" : 10,] and change the 10 to a 5 after I did this it ran like never before and i could once again immerse my self in to this wonderfully crafted game. hope this helped.

if you find that a different number (higher/lower) works better let others know!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
    ReverendBonobo likes this.
  14. Murderatte

Murderatte Phantasmal Quasar

Sometimes, adding content can compromise performance so it's not really which goes first. Priorities are varied.

15. pkfamily

pkfamily Space Hobo

Disabled Steam Compatibility, Disabled steam In-game Community, lowered resolution, played with zoom, tried full screen and windowed, also did that maxFrameskip dealio. Still get unplayable fps. I'll try again next week

16. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Sounds like you're suffering from the lack of optimization. It's something that will be addressed eventually, but not in a week. Try towards the end of the beta.

17. Bessieblouoog

Bessieblouoog Poptop Tamer

Lag in an online game will sink a game. I suspect its coding that went haywire creating memory sinks. Hopefully they will sort that out, cause one can play a game with flaws, but when you cannot move in a game, you cannot play that game. Bad advertisement for a game.

ONLY for Starbound do I have to disable skype and google chat and close programs and restart my pc regularly to free ram . Not for Lotro, Neverwinter, Diablo 3,Path of Exile, Terraria. Guild Wars 2 etc etc.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  18. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

I can play just fine with my friends in the staTes and I am in central europe

19. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

This isn't lag, it's bad fps. And this isn't an online game, it's a singleplayer game with online multiplayer. Lag is what happens when you have a bad connection to a server or the server itself is running poorly. Also this is a beta stage, to call it bad advertisement would mean the person experiencing the "bad advertisement" is poorly acquainted with what a beta test is.

20. Bessieblouoog

Bessieblouoog Poptop Tamer

Let me post this again...whatever you would like to call it bad fps/whatever....

ONLY for Starbound do I have to disable skype and google chat and close programs and restart my pc regularly to free ram . Not for Lotro, Neverwinter, Diablo 3,Path of Exile, Terraria. Guild Wars 2 etc etc.