1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Improvement of graphic scaling

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Svetlana, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svetlana

Svetlana Tentacle Wrangler

My original thread did not get any replies for being a suggestion, but I thought it should be brought to the attention of the developers.

The graphic scaling of Starbound as it is is imprecise and causes a lot of artifacts, anyone with a small knowledge of pixel art can notice them. I understand the game is under development, but it's something that could easily be fixed and is present even outside the game, as per my following examples.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    On the left is the current scaling method where not all pixels have the same size. On the right is a mock-up I made of the correct scaling, which is used on the game's main view. There's no reason why the game can be scaled properly while the UI (currently) isn't.

[​IMG]
    The artifacts are also present in mini-bosses, where the scaling is not rounded to the nearest integer. I understand some fine-tuning of the scaling should be desired and snapping it to integers (2x2, 3x3, 4x4 pixels etc) is a bit limiting but graphical artifacts like these should be avoided.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    One example of it outside the game can be seen on this very forum's background image. The left image is a snippet I took from it unedited, the right image is the result of running said snippet through a script which fixes the scaling back to 1x, then properly scaling it up in Photoshop with the Nearest Neighbors scaling by multiples of 100% (integer scaling).

There's no real reason why these problems can't be solved other than negligence, and I believe it would improve on the overall polished aspect of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.