1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Imp Overlord[Boss Suggestion]

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Daimera, May 17, 2013.

1. Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

I really liked this idea and wanted to sprite it up. :rofl: However, after spending over an hour on this, I realized it was WAY too big (it's about as tall as the Giant Stone Golem), and all the tweaking I tried just couldn't bring it down so I'll have to start from scratch. Still, I thought people would be amused by the progress. I'll make a new one around half this size later, hur hur.

[​IMG]
    I doubt I'll be spriting a whole lot of other people's ideas (which ones inspire me to do so isn't guaranteed, my brain sidetracks to the most random things at the most random times), I just had a really solid mental image for this one, especially its attacks. Alas, it'll be a while.

Edit:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Extra: AKA I CAN'T RAED DESCIRPTNS​
    [​IMG]
    Now maybe it's too small??? *shrugs hard enough her head rolls off her shoulders*

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

Be it too big or not, that's still an impressive sprite!
      Great job :D

• Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

Oh my god. This is amazing.

:saywhat:

This deserves its own thread.

Also yes, the first laser one was correct. I can't believe how much you got out of my simple text @.@

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

Hahaha, man I am just making you work more, aren't I? I was thinking of making it my own thread when I had more sprites, but I didn't expect to pull an all-nighter crunching them out. Needless to say, keeping them there seemed like a good idea at the time!

And yeah, when I went back and read the descriptions more closely afterwards, I realized I'd done the laser wrong. My brain initially just went "...Eye. Laser. Ground Explosions. GO." and translated that into a big beam with a shockwave. It conveniently failed to realize that the "laser" was also hitting the ground to create those explosions. Woops.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
          • Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

Hey, no worries.

Keep up the great work.

P.S. I was totally stalking Hopoo earlier and saw him looking at this thread.:X

Treadlight likes this.
            • Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Could you please also post the original 1× sized sprites so that I don't have to do this every time I want to use them?
              I should also mention that the game does not use 3× sprites period, it uses 1× sprites and stretches the entire game screen by 2×. So if they end up actually using your own sprites, it would be very helpful to include the original size.

Four step process. This is because Game Maker hates pixel sizes that aren't powers of 2.
              [​IMG]
              It's a pain. This was just one frame.
              And, what software do you use to make/edit sprites?

EDIT: I just realized that if I calculate the proper canvas sizes myself, I can stretch it quickly no problem. :facepalm:
              I'd still appreciate the 1× sprites, though.

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

I use Adobe ImageReady 7.0, which is nice because it can re-size entire animations in one go. I do keep all the original-size sprites readily on-hand (this includes for the Brontopod, as well, which I've just posted to that thread), I'll gladly post/provide them if asked to, I just put the 3x ones up first because they're way more visible.
                [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
                I know I still need to do a single-frame stun shot, a death animation, and maybe a couple frames of a teleport if that's not just done with the engine.

Treadlight and Seria-Myouna like this.
                • Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

Stun, teleport, and death sprites added!

• Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

Well that's amazing once again!
                    Great job dude, it would be quite cool to fight him in game, here's hoping :3

• needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wonderful sprites again, my friend. I especially like the laser one.

The boss does seem small-ish. Imagine him in a crowd of regulars and elites - it's barely above a stone golem and those sand-insect-bear things from Dried lake. From the gameplay perspective, that's kind of a bad move, since a boss should attract attention. making him hard to notice might cause varying levels of annoyance.

Also, why are the red "flames" going up at an angle at the standing sprite? Shouldn't they be going straight upwards?

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks, guys! Feedback is always appreciated, and it's nice to see people like the work. Makes those late nights of slouching over my tablet and mouse more worth it.
                        It's actually not that small when put side-by-side with other mobs. I'd pulled together a comparison 'sheet' to make sure after making the preliminary frame.
                        [​IMG]
                        Yeah, it's still on the smaller side, but it's not so small that it'll get lost among basic mobs, I don't think. Even so, imps are annoying by default, it'd almost make sense for their boss to be somewhat infuriating as well. If it really turns out to be way too small for practicality... I don't know, I'd probably go crazy having to redo all of the animations from scratch. x_x

He's farting.

j/k

I'm just lazy. After making the idle stance I wondered how often an idle stance would be used on-screen at all on something that's probably always going to be trying to move to attack you, so I never bothered to make a new vapor trail. If it turns out anyone who wants to use these really needs a proper idle stance, I'll redo the vapors. I might still do it because it actually does bug me a bit. Just not enough to put off more pertinent animations in favor of it.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
                        • needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hmm... I've fallen prey to optical illusion it seems :) The implord does stand above a fair bit.

I thought the same about standing sprite while typing my previous comment - about it being vurtually never used, that is. I just wondered if there was a reason behind the angle.

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Thank you soooo so so so much.

• hopoo

hopoo Risk of Rain Developer Developer

[​IMG]

Teehee. Credits to Seria for the idea and Daimera for the sprites!

He's insanely difficult at the moment. Might keep him that way.

Ifrit, Bedevils, Daimera and 4 others like this.
                              • Rawrquaza

Rawrquaza Existential Complex

Grats guys! Super excited for him. :up:

Also yeah, keep him at super dick level. he's too badass not to be.

• okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, we're fucked. Imp overlord, mind if I grab a semi-machine gun? It's not as if its gunna do anything to you, anyway.... At least not before you tentacle my ass off.

• Biomatter

Biomatter Subatomic Cosmonaut

Holy shit this is amazing. As an incredibly amateur artist, do you mind if I ask what program you worked this in? Job well done, I know that it might not get implemented but you still made something awesome.

Uh, that's not to detract from the bosses that are currently in the game, though, hahahaha! They are fantastic too :)

Edit: I am dumb. You use Adobe ImageReady 7.0 as you mentioned earlier, and this IS going to be implemented as hopoo posted it in-game above me. It's like I didn't even read the thread or something! :(

• Daimera

Daimera Cosmic Narwhal

FFFFFFHHAHAHA oh my God. :rofl: Time to die a lot once this gets released!

I can't really act surprised considering I was given a head's-up, but it's so awesome to actually see a screenshot! Thanks so much for the honor of contributing something!

Seria-Myouna and Treadlight like this.
                                      • Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

Well that's just awesome!
                                        And I have to say, yes you should keep the boss being very hard, I mean he is an overload =p

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

Oh my god, two of them spawned 15 seconds in? Noaaahhhhhh there goes the game!

Dargona1018, Biomatter and Treadlight like this.