1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I think it's great that people complain and whine about Starbound..

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Arkitech, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

im making the assumption based on shes the RP manager and the one who wrote the announcements, you silly :p
    if you think im wrong why dont you ask her

2. Conmaan

Conmaan Master Chief

No matter what people paid for the thing, they full and well understood that Starbound is and was a beta. I dont give a shit if they thought that the developers were going to do X in X amount of time and they didnt. Things take time, people make mistakes, and developers are human beings just like us. If the people who bought the game werent satisfied with what the game had at the time of their purchase, they shouldnt have bought the game in the first place. None of us have any control over where Starbound goes. Only the gamemakers do. Spending $15+ and acting like you own the place is just ridiculous.

Also, the developers are giving progress reports every day on the content they are creating. Just because they arent releasing it doesnt mean that it isnt there, From what Ive seen, it looks as if each and every one of the members of the development team is working hard towards the ultimate goal of finishing and polishing starbound. Hell, one of the suggestions I had for the game was to add a better version of the matter manipulator and the day I logged onto the forums to post such a thing, I saw that the devs had already been working on it. This is telling me that the developers understand what is wonky with the game, and not only that but they are working on creating solutions for what doesnt work.

To me, watching this game grow and expand is a beatiful process. Sometimes you have to keep patient, and not be an asshole.

3. Madtrixr

Madtrixr 2Tricky

Cannot wait until the stable build is released, so that everyone who spends their time here going on and on and on about whatever injustice CF has committed this week stop posting and go play the video game they bought that they feel so strongly about

4. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Subatomic Cosmonaut

Re-read the paragraph you underlined. And read it carefully. It's speaking about charges and purchase which pre-orderers through Chucklefish didn't make on the steam site. Again you can try and read anything into these things, but you're well-adivised only reading what's actually written in such things.
    But let's not stop there.
    Now the user agreement in itself is again a contract between Steam and their user, it doesn't touch upon contracts done by users and a thrid party. It in itself is really just covering Valves ass, so to say. Even more interesting in a lot of legislation i know of, it's not even possible to come forth after a purchase and instate one sided modifications upon a contract. Which would further question the valditiy of Steams user agreement for the connection between Chucklefish and their customers.
    So honestly, if you want to quote agreements that might be more interesting go ahead and read into the Humble Bundle agreements.

And again we're just discussing legally enforcable refunds. Which is quite another horse than what a customer friendly company should do.

So please just do us a favour and drop your try to teach me the reality of legal agreements. You misread simple texts which really leads me to believe that you're lacking in experience with such contracts and with legal matters overall. And as i pointed out before, i'd only trust a lawyer specialized in such matters. And i'm saying that because i've actually a bit of education in legal matters.

5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

alright have fun getting your refund then ;)

6. Bad Karma

Being right and getting said right isn't the same. Simply because most people won't take someone to court for 15$.
    Not to mention that i personally don't ask for a refund.

7. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

Kind of off topic but... This is probably one of the main reasons a lot of companies that do 'microtransactions' nowadays can get away with (nearly) defrauding users. MMOs tend to do this kind of thing a lot. It's like... they may only screw YOU over for 10 bucks, but when they screw over 10,000 people... that 10 bucks is 100,000 bucks income. However, the cost to actually hire a lawyer to get your ten bucks back? Meh. That's one reason why I stopped playing MMOs.

DrakeWymulf likes this.
  8. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It was not a beta at the time I handed money over and it is not a beta today, what we have today is a tech demo as per Tiy's own words. What we have on nightlies is called an alpha.
    Now you might say "semantics blah blah blah" but when you are advertising a product and taking money you are obliged to describe to product you are selling with some degree of accuracy. "Almost done." "Beta." etc are not words that anyone with a shred of honesty would use to describe this product even today.

Some people do? Its cool you don't take people's word very seriously but don't assume everyone is the same way. Personally I recognise they are very new at this so take everything they say with a grain of salt, but I can understand why people are angry about it too.

You are right, we shouldn't have, and it is partially our fault for not properly checking into CF's history. However placing all the blame on the consumer when the advertising was dishonest at best is silly.

Stating that CF cares nothing about what their fanbase thinks? Their interactions with their community have been appalling at times but I still wouldn't go as far to say they don't care at all.

It's not like they have a history of doing things like this or anything.

I would hope so as well, but this is pure speculation.

Calling CF out on their shenanigans in a calm and well reasoned matter is not being an asshole.

Let's just hope that 1.0 lives up to expectations then.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Nimeni and Flantomas like this.
  9. Starbug

Starbug Guest

It's strange to have such a positive outlook, then express such a negative outlook within the same line. Impatient people are not being assholes.

10. Well, it's your option to pay the $10. If you didn't want to, you shouldn't have given them your credit card info in the first place. When you say MMOs, do you mean legit ones like WoW, or some random Korean game ported to the US and owned by Nexon that's specifically designed to liberate money from it's players?

11. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Have the devs ever described Starbound as "almost done"?

12. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Best one I could find with a screenshot is "pretty far along", my apologies.

https://i.imgur.com/YaoVCNB.png

13. Litagano Motscoud

I'm fairly sure when he said "we're almost there", he meant almost to a point where they can show the aforementioned video of the game

14. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, he does specifically say the "game is pretty far along." I'm still looking for something better though.

15. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Sorry if I'm derailing, but what's the point of that search? Do you want to find where Tiy was wrong, earlier? I guess I don't see how that information helps us now, or how it will help Starbound get completed/finished/released earlier.

16. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is in response to Litagano wanting a specific source where the developers stated the game was "almost done." We are discussing the game and criticisms in general, there is little we can do to aid starbound get finished earlier. I can't even think of anything on the front page of the forum that would even remotely achieve that.

edit: I think I have made my point anyway, if you want a rock solid example of this game being marketed as almost complete just look at the roadmap which is still dated 2013 and hasn't changed much.

Nimeni and Bad Karma like this.
  17. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

I guess I don't understand why it's useful to complain about the developer's past actions from long ago (almost a year, now?) when they're doing things differently now. Especially since it's not even talking about the game content itself, just how the game content isn't finished yet.

That really doesn't help anything, nor is it constructive. It's just...complaining.

18. Bad Karma

Tell me in which respect your post, discussing how the answering of a question is good or bad, is in any way constructive.

19. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We were debating whether or not CF engaged in fraudulent marketing. Which then progressed to whether or not the marketing was "intentionally" misleading or just chalked up to inexperience and incompetence.

We are bringing up developers past actions because it is relevant to the discussion, nothing more.

What exactly is it you want to "help" by discussing? I would imagine CF knowing how some members of their community think would be helpful, no? There isn't much to talk about the game as it has not been updated for quite a long time and the nightlies are not really for testing or playing, so I'm not exactly sure what you expect people to talk about in regards to this.

It is constructive in the sense that we, as members of the community are sharing our perspectives of CF.

Nimeni likes this.
  20. Litagano Motscoud

God damnit :V

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.