Modding Help I need help to make a ship mod (Angry koala) compatible with Furious Koala.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Velornar, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Velornar

Velornar Pangalactic Porcupine

Hello everyone, its my first post on the forum

My problem is about the new modding system.
    I made recently a kind of frigate with a design based upon the battlecruiser Gilgamesh (from Plusquam) for my personnal use.
    This mod worked really good under Angry koala (and was mostly hated from the real modders because I picked out the most interresting pieces from the ships looking like the original design) due to the accessible files and the ability to replace some objets in the asset folder.
    Excepting some improvements on the shape, disabling the possibility to place some items on somes parts of the ground), everything worked perfectly
    But now, the files are packed in a .pak file so I cant access to the assets folder directly.
    I tried the method posted before (very usefull) allowing to pack and unpack the asset folder throught the CMD and some file/.exe adress.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...-guide-to-unpacking-files.67080/#post-1730805

So I put my ship in the unpacked folder (containing the .structure/.blocks/ objects like screens and boosters), deleted all the others ships and repacked it.
    I replaced this older .pak file with the new one containing the ship.
    And then nothing work when I launched a new character save (human), error "connection no longer valid" suggesting that Starbound cant find the ship files.

the diagnostic seems to verify the numbers of octets of the files and dont allow another files with another size t replace the original one. So what to do if I cant even modify as before the asset, unpacked or not ?
    Mainly I cant even run the game, locked on the loading screen.
    How to create a valid mod I could put in the dedicated mod folders, working ?

I also tried to understand the mecanism of a similar ship mod (operative) under Furious Koala, then made a .modinfo file very similar with the right description and updated my mod by the way.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/where-go-custom-ships-in-furious-koala.66543/
    It seems that I also need a .DS_Store file but the format is unknown from Notepad++ and couldnt create a file I cant understand.
    And I cant go further, I really dont understand why my mod don't work when other's exactly the sames works ?

So my question is; how did you updated your ship mods to make them work ? Should I post my mod on the official section to make it valid under Furious Koala (not the goal of my ship) ?

Thanks for your advices.
    I could share the files to assist in the resolution of the problem. An then make a complete solution, accessible to everyone wanting to mod theirselves the game, or simply their ship.
    But please dont publish these files, I promised to the author to not post it in the mod sections.
    If not, I will be forced to play without mods in a little ship and get stuck in a planet, in an horrible block base when I could have a personnal pixel ship... so boring for a sandbox game :(

edit; oh sorry for my weird english, I'm still learning...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. You dont need to repack your assets. I dont understand where everyone is getting this idea from.
    Make your ship mod into a proper mod using the .modinfo method and thats all there is to it. You do not need to repack assets, ever. You will need to keep the same folder structure so that it overrides the default assets though.

EG. YourMod\\ships\apex\dropshipblocks.png

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Space Spelunker

not entirely true, if you want to just alter the stats of a original content item you have to repack in order to change those stats in game.

4. The whole point of the mod system is to do that. By default, if you keep the same folder structure inside your mods folder, it will completely override the default assets. If this has changed since the last patch, I'm not entirely sure. I'll see if I can get some testing in today.

5. Velornar

So...if I unpack the files, modify the asset as in the last version and place the unpacked asset's files in the assets game folder, its supposed to work ? I thought the Furious Koala version must work with an packed asset folder.
    (edit in post: doesnt work
    An yes, the idear of repacking the assets files afer modifying it come from a video... I'll try to find the link.

about the idear of making my ship a mod, it clearly dont work, thats why I have been forced to overwrite instead of placing a folder containing the mod (with the .modinfo file), this is the file.
    I really dont understand why the fact of putting this folder in the mod folder.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d4jbvfvc7ceqeje/HjG2PEX2ft

6. Its not working because your paths dont match. Either move everything UP one folder (Out of your "assets" folder) or change the path in your .modinfo from "." to "assets". Either one of those should allow the mod to work correctly.

In other words, you currently have:
    (AssetsRoot)/assets/stufff

whereas you want
    (AssetsRoot)/stuff.

7. ZacXier

ZacXier Void-Bound Voyager

I thought they were doing character wipes. I still got everything!

8. Random reply is random.
    Heh. Then I don't think you have the latest version buddy...

9. ZacXier

ZacXier Void-Bound Voyager

After reading more I believe you are correct

10. Velornar

Ah ok its a mistake like that, wrong coding ?
    Thanks, so I remove the human folder to put directly the ship+object in the asset folder and the "." path from .modinfo file will work.
    But I would only make it available for humans characters, I replaced "." with "assets" but at character creation, same problem "connexion no longer valid" and starbound dont respond...
    I should find before a modding guide for beginner and and I could have avoided this kind of mistakes.

edit; I updated the link dropbox, moved up the files and put the mod in the "mod folder" but it still dont work. I mention that I have got in the same assets folder the unpacked and packed version ? should I remove the original ship to overwrite it ,

11. You have more issues than just the folder structure. I have also just tested your mod and disproved @Hooligan 's theory about repacking. So. To clarify: No, you do NOT need to repack assets. The method from previous update still work. Im fixing your mod now @Velornar...

Code:
    Error: Error loading object file /objects/generic/analysisscreen/analysisscreen.object: VariantException: Improper conversion to int from string in get("price")
      00A6DEF3 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:13)
      00836844 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.cpp:524)
      006134CB (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarObjectDatabase.cpp:374)
      004ECC36 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:206)
      004016C8 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:306)
      009801DC (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarThread_windows.cpp:74)
      7708850D KERNEL32.DLL
      7781BF39 ntdll.dll
      7781BF0C ntdll.dll

Error: Error loading object file /objects/generic/barscreen/barscreen.object: VariantException: Improper conversion to int from string in get("price")
      00A6DEF3 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:13)
      00836844 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.cpp:524)
      006134CB (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarObjectDatabase.cpp:374)
      004ECC36 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:206)
      004016C8 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:306)
      009801DC (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarThread_windows.cpp:74)
      7708850D KERNEL32.DLL
      7781BF39 ntdll.dll
      7781BF0C ntdll.dll

Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for barvent, using default
    Error: Error loading object file /objects/generic/bigboosterflame/bigboosterflame.object: VariantException: Improper conversion to double from string in get("size")
      00A6D9E7 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:13)
      008367E8 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/core/StarVariant.cpp:522)
      0060EE27 (/Users/builder/starbound-slave/releasebuilder-windows/build/source/game/StarParticle.hpp:13)
      ... (3)
      7708850D KERNEL32.DLL
      7781BF39 ntdll.dll
      7781BF0C ntdll.dll

Error: Error loading object file /objects/generic/mapscreen/mapscreen.object: VariantException: Improper conversion to int from string in get("price")
      7708850D KERNEL32.DLL
      7781BF39 ntdll.dll
      7781BF0C ntdll.dll
    You should read this post to see whats going on.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/new-updates-and-how-it-affects-you.66554/

12. [​IMG]

Here you go mate. Extract to your mods folder. @Hooligan, take a look if you wanna know how I got around having to re-pack the assets.

EDIT: By the way... you were also missing the color value for the teleporter...

Attached Files:

• uss.zip
      File size:
      190.6 KB
      Views:
  13. Velornar

waaaah thank you :) It work prefectly now.
    I made a lot of mistakes in fact...
    The repport suggested that every object werent loading right althought i didnt modified anything from the placement and the boosters files, I'm frankly surprised to have already made a party with this ship just overwriting the Angry Koala unpacked version.
    About barscreen/ analysisscreen etc...I just forget to remove its, I was trying to make compatible the cools screens from Meryos ferry on the ship.

14. No problem, mate. Happy to help!