1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I just found my first flesh cave biome.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SoopaDerpcat, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

Not even remotely close. The Ender Dragon was a massive boss, while the Crimeria is a small flying common enemy.

It's not like putting Skeletron in-game.

2. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes even remotely close. You're suggesting taking an enemy which was introduced specifically in a certain
    video game and applying it to an unaffiliated game from a different company. The point isn't how it would
    effect gameplay or how "prominent" it would be, the point is that it's illegal without permission but completely
    unnecessary and unimaginative even with permission.

That would be like the Mushroom Hill Zone in Sonic 3 "needing" a blatant goomba ripoff because lol
    mushrooms and references are oh so very funny.

The Squid likes this.
  3. Heartstrings

I'm saying it would be nice to have a Crimera look-alike, not necessarily the original thing. Does every company request permission to add every single reference in their games/movies/shows? It isn't as a matter of fact illegal to make a shout-out like that, and I certainly don't think it's unimaginative to include a shout-out to one of the sources for inspiration for this game, especially in an area where it happens to fit.

Your Mushroom Hill example is different because a Crimera-esque creature with different AI as a homage to a game that serves as a source of inspiration is not the same thing as putting a recolored or 8-pixel difference creature resprite from a completely different game zone of a competitor's game, in a time period where such a thing would be completely out of place.

4. braydon

braydon Phantasmal Quasar

No it's not. Copying is copying and it's for lame unimaginative people.

5. Wulf_Oman

Wulf_Oman Existential Complex

...or untalented, in some cases. I don't think that applies here, though.

6. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Anther reason that they wouldn't be able to do that is because on every planet, creatures are randomized. So if you find a flesh cave, there will be random monsters there, not just that one.

7. braydon

Another reason not to add terraria enemies is why. As in why would you want that?

8. SoopaDerpcat

As if there weren't already enough people going on about how Starbound is just Terraria with smoother animations.

STCW262 likes this.
  9. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

I know you, this biome is horrible! poor feather brother...come here *offers a hug*

10. SoopaDerpcat

Actually don't hug me I'm scared covered in meat...liquid.

The Squid likes this.
  11. Nibolas O Anelbozas

i want to slap your chin

12. Heartstrings

I suggested one shout-out creature to sometimes appear in a biome that isn't common at all, and people hate it?

Well, hate it for silly reasons. The way you seem to see it, we shouldn't have any references in games at all.

13. SoopaDerpcat

Honestly...we probably shouldn't. Unless there's some major importance or clever joke attached to
    it, references are a waste of sprites, sounds and system memory. If you want to ask somebody to mod
    in Crimeras, go on ahead. Pop culture references are just a weak attempt to get a chuckle out of
    people and don't realize how unfunny they are.[DOUBLEPOST=1426736975][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Who doesn't? It's solid as iron, yet fluffy as a cloud.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  14. Nibolas O Anelbozas

my head is the same size as your chin, it is like if it is upside down

15. Heartstrings

Opinions, I guess.

L. F. Oxidizer likes this.
  16. braydon

Yes were silly because you want to copy something for no reason, despite the fact that it's an entirely unoriginal waste of time and space that would be an annoying waste of time to deal with in game.

I don't see how you can act like we're all being absurd, we have perfectly articulate reasons not to add Crimeras, you just keep repeating that they should be added because you have some sort of weird obsession with them.

17. SoopaDerpcat

I was part of an experiment to create the Handsome Avian master race. Since my mouth ended up so tiny, I have to stun
    prey by hitting it with my superhuman chin and very slowly stretch my beak over it.

I usually just opt for junk food though because that's a lot of work just to eat one rabbit.

18. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

One thing is simply making a reference and another one is adding an entire creature as an obvious reference, which only works as an easter egg.

As for the biome itself, I hope it will be improved, specially as the Heck Biome was the same, but better (Among other things, it had unique weapons), althrough I guess the latter would likely become a planet-wide biome, if only because it was too awesome (From what I read) to just be a mini-biome.

19. Ryumaru

Ryumaru Big Damn Hero

Wow guys. Way to pile on someone making a suggestion.

For the record, I thought the Crimera easter egg idea was fun. Lighten up, dudes.

Heartstrings likes this.
  20. SoopaDerpcat

The thing about easter eggs is that they're like...well...easter eggs! They're well hidden, they're fun, and they're unimportant.
    They're cool specifically because they're little details which are tucked away in unexpected places and you feel like you've
    actually found a secret.

Adding in an enemy from a different game as a common swarm enemy which you will be running into constantly
    and putting it in exactly the biome you would expect to find it in is not an easter egg. If anything, it's more like a
    crossover.

A more interesting way to do it would be to add something like a VERY RARE sort of cave painting of a Crimera
    chasing someone around, with a description like "What an odd creature, yet just as oddly familiar." or "this mysterious
    creature seems to have been a vivid Crimson color."

The Squid and STCW262 like this.